The Official 2019 New York Mets off-season thread: Steve Cohen NOT buying team; Team still for sale

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Fantastic! I just heard another check swing clear the right field fence in "the stadium". She must be taking BP.

better to make contact than to stand there with your dikk in your hand like Beltran, the manager who never was
PlasticPlumpAlligatorsnappingturtle-size_restricted.gif

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
better to make contact than to stand there with your dikk in your hand like Beltran, the manager who never was
PlasticPlumpAlligatorsnappingturtle-size_restricted.gif
:ohhh: am I in a time machine and on SOHH?
We going a decade + deep into the archives ?!? :mjlol:

Too bad that game wasnt played in "the stadium", Beltran thinking about swinging would have resulted in an RBI double :mjcry:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Didn't that deal fall apart similarly too?
It was a different situation. They just got beat by Madoff, they thought they had $500 million with him and it went poof. lol So they sold stakes in the team for cash flow to a few different people, some might have even just been loans. Einhorn was probably the most prominent and did some PR that he was looking to buy the team. The Wilpons never considered it, they just wanted the loan and paid him back I believe. Or he is a very small minority owner still. Not sure.

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando

I pray to every God in the sky, that whoever buys this team ends up buying it for less than what Cohen offered.

That second tweet makes it seem like the Wilpons toyed and played with Cohen, only to get the 2.3 billion dollar number, only to then say that with immediate ownership, then Mets are worth more.

FooFighters

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Inside the breakdown of the Mets sale - HardballTalk | NBC Sports

"But it gets worse: apparently the Mets, possibly with the backing of MLB, are seeking to have Cohen blackballed from purchasing any other team."

"I’m not going to lay down much to defend Cohen, who has a somewhat checkered business history, but the idea that Major League Baseball would blackball him because he backed out of the deal after what sounded like an insane demand on the part of the Wlipons is kind of nuts. On the one side you have a multi-billionaire who wants nothing more to purchase what should be one of your league’s marquee franchises and, in the process, increase the value of the 29 other franchises by virtue of that big, big sale price. On the other side you have the Wilpons, who have repeatedly mismanaged said would-be marquee franchise and clearly want out, but not before making unhinged demands that would rightfully put off any other buyers who might come down the pike. And the league sides with the latter over the former? Really?"

"I don’t know what magical powers the Wilpons have over Major League Baseball, but they are formidable."

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY

Take solace in the fact that Jeff screwed up the deal of a lifetime and now everyone that follows baseball knows what we've know for nearly 20 years, Jeff Wilpon is the dumbest individual in baseball. Jeff has to live with that the rest of his life.