• Future

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Finally got a couple Grammy insider bits:

-AOTY votes: Harry Styles, Adele, Beyonce. Harry Styles won comfortably, Adele/Beyonce weren't separated by much. Bad Bunny was near the bottom.

-Rap AOTY: Kendrick in a rout.

-Rap/sung collab: It was actually close between Wait For U and Die Hard lol

-Instrumental jazz: not that anyone cares outside of me lol, but Terri Lyne Carrington barely beat Wayne Shorter. I like both albums and while I normally don't give a shyt about Grammys, it would have been nice to see Shorter get what could very well be his last award. Living legend. Couple years from now most of the iconic jazz pioneers of the 60s will be gone...

Those are the only ones I asked about. Also asked about Adele's reaction to losing AOTY. Seemed like she thought herself or Beyonce was going to win, to me at least. Some politics and fukkery were involved in Harry Styles winning but to be fair, I was also told most voters just fukked with his album more and didn't think Adele did anything new on her record. It's kind of the same as the other ones but with worse songwriting (not my views btw).

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Finally got a couple Grammy insider bits:

-AOTY votes: Harry Styles, Adele, Beyonce. Harry Styles won comfortably, Adele/Beyonce weren't separated by much. Bad Bunny was near the bottom.

-Rap AOTY: Kendrick in a rout.

-Rap/sung collab: It was actually close between Wait For U and Die Hard lol

-Instrumental jazz: not that anyone cares outside of me lol, but Terri Lyne Carrington barely beat Wayne Shorter. I like both albums and while I normally don't give a shyt about Grammys, it would have been nice to see Shorter get what could very well be his last award. Living legend. Couple years from now most of the iconic jazz pioneers of the 60s will be gone...

Those are the only ones I asked about. Also asked about Adele's reaction to losing AOTY. Seemed like she thought herself or Beyonce was going to win, to me at least. Some politics and fukkery were involved in Harry Styles winning but to be fair, I was also told most voters just fukked with his album more and didn't think Adele did anything new on her record. It's kind of the same as the other ones but with worse songwriting (not my views btw).

Questions

Was it close between Muni Long and Beyonce for Best R&B Performance?

Was Kendrick truly in contention for ROTY or SOTY?

How close WAS Beyonce for AOTY? Is there any particular reason voters didn’t like the album or did they truly feel Harry Styles was far and out better than Beyonce this year?

Did Robert Glasper handily beat Chris Brown for Best R&B Album or was it close?

What was the feeling surrounding Mary J Blige this year? She got SIX NOMS but NO wins! Was she a “filler” nomination or did she have any passion whatsoever amongst voters?

Did J.Ivy’s win in the inaugural Best Spoken Word Poetry Album category happen because of passion surrounding his legendary career or was it political because he was the one who fought to install the category? He (rightfully in my opinion) beat a bunch of heavy hitters in that category so I was wondering what the thought process behind the voters was.

How close was Muni Long to winning Best New Artist? Did Samara Joy win in a rout?

What DOES Diana Ross have to do to win a goddamn Grammy lol. I thought she was a LOCK for Best Traditional Pop Album

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Questions

Was it close between Muni Long and Beyonce for Best R&B Performance?

Was Kendrick truly in contention for ROTY or SOTY?

How close WAS Beyonce for AOTY? Is there any particular reason voters didn’t like the album or did they truly feel Harry Styles was far and out better than Beyonce this year?

Did Robert Glasper handily beat Chris Brown for Best R&B Album or was it close?

What was the feeling surrounding Mary J Blige this year? She got SIX NOMS but NO wins! Was she a “filler” nomination or did she have any passion whatsoever amongst voters?

Did J.Ivy’s win in the inaugural Best Spoken Word Poetry Album category happen because of passion surrounding his legendary career or was it political because he was the one who fought to install the category? He (rightfully in my opinion) beat a bunch of heavy hitters in that category so I was wondering what the thought process behind the voters was.

How close was Muni Long to winning Best New Artist? Did Samara Joy win in a rout?

What DOES Diana Ross have to do to win a goddamn Grammy lol. I thought she was a LOCK for Best Traditional Pop Album

Asked around. I don't have all the answers but:

Kendrick wasn't really in contention for any of the big nominations this year. Didn't come close to winning.

Beyonce didn't come close in AOTY from what I've heard. I've only spoken with a handful of people - a couple voters, and a couple label guys I know. Neither voter I talked to liked Beyonce's album. They're both older though, one white and the other black. I should note...neither liked Harry Styles' album either. Label people said they're hearing a lot of industry people/voters just didn't like it that much. Didn't hear anything about "Beyonce fatigue" or disliking her as a person, they just don't fukk with her doing a dance album.

This is gonna kinda shed some light on the age of the voters I talked to but I've been told more people are mad about Diana Ross losing than Beyonce losing. As you know, the Grammys are largely about handing awards to icons and legends yet Diana Ross can't get one. Obviously she lost to a guy who has a bunch of Grammys and is respected but still, this is baffling folks. Specifically black voters as well as a lot of older white voters (pop, r&b execs, producers, musicians, etc) who love her. But they aren't the majority so that's how stuff like this happens.