Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

thank%20god_0.gif

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Was it that bad? I still need to watch. I remember leaving that screening of ‘Halloween Ends’ feeling very weird. Angry? Nah. Just…appalled by some of the decisions. Michael Myers in what was essentially a tornado tag team murder spree with his “apprentice”? This would’ve been fun to me if the tone wasn’t serious. It just comes across as surreal instead, and in a bad way. I like the fact it tries to subvert our expectations, but I wish the execution was better.

Not sure why they gave homie the greenlight to taint another beloved horror IP. Not just one, but two entries. I really enjoy ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ though. Green and McBride are consistent in working their comedic magic there, but this horror experiment has gone off the rails for both. ‘Halloween’ (2018) felt like lightning in the bottle. That movie still has its flaws, yet Myers at that point hadn’t really been seen by the general audience in over a decade so all they needed to do was just dial things back to basic a bit.

‘Kills’ came out at such a bad time, IMO. Drops during a period where MAGA crowds were still at their loudest all throughout media outlets. Social commentary hit a little too close to home for me. Every “Evil Dies Tonight!” chant had me rolling my eyes and straight up rooting for Michael. It’s a time capsule piece that I’m perfectly fine with staying away from.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Was it that bad? I still need to watch. I remember leaving that screening of ‘Halloween Ends’ feeling very weird. Angry? Nah. Just…appalled by some of the decisions. Michael Myers in what was essentially a tornado tag team murder spree with his “apprentice”? This would’ve been fun to me if the tone wasn’t serious. It just comes across as surreal instead, and in a bad way. I like the fact it tries to subvert our expectations, but I wish the execution was better.

Not sure why they gave homie the greenlight to taint another beloved horror IP. Not just one, but two entries. I really enjoy ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ though. Green and McBride are consistent in working their comedic magic there, but this horror experiment has gone off the rails for both. ‘Halloween’ (2018) felt like lightning in the bottle. That movie still has its flaws, yet Myers at that point hadn’t really been seen by the general audience in over a decade so all they needed to do was just dial things back to basic a bit.

‘Kills’ came out at such a bad time, IMO. Drops during a period where MAGA crowds were still at their loudest all throughout media outlets. Social commentary hit a little too close to home for me. Every “Evil Dies Tonight!” chant had me rolling my eyes and straight up rooting for Michael. It’s a time capsule piece that I’m perfectly fine with staying away from.
I find the Exorcist: Believer worse than any of the Halloween trilogy. Exorcist TRIED to do what the first Halloween in the new trilogy did; which is to load up on easter eggs, bring back a key character, and retread a lot of the old beloved scares. But none of the retreads lived up to the original scares, and the returning character added ZERO VALUE to the story. She was just brought back to trick fans in the trailer.

Halloween 2018 was cool because it felt fresh. But they went back to the formula for Kills, Ends, and Exorcist: Believer; but it felt cheaper every time. Plus, you're dead on about how weird the sequels got. The tone shifted like crazy from each movie to the next, and it never felt like they movies connected on any themes. They were just callbacks to old characters that the writers didn't even seem to care about.

That "Evil Dies Tonight" crap was the low point of the trilogy for me. The "new" Michael concept coulda been a really creative idea that refreshed the series for a long time, but they had no balls to see it through.

I also agree that Green and McBride are great at comedy. I'm not up on Gemstones, but Eastbound is an all-timer and Vice Principals was great.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So, the Cop from Smile has a murder spree movie. It's called Passenger, and it's got a great opening and the dude has a much better performance than he did in Smile (which wasn't a particularly demanding role tbh).

A man is forced to face his fears and confront his troubled past. He must find a way to survive when his co-worker snaps and goes on a violent killing spree.

A fast food worker snaps and bodies a bunch of people. He takes one of his coworkers as essentially a hostage, but spends the movie trying to get the coworker to stand up for himself and accept a really twisted worldview. This has an INTENSE opening 15 minutes, that wind up hurting it. The rest of the movie feels a lot slower by comparison, even though there's a constant threat of this dude spazzing. It still manages to be a decent watch, but the resolution felt a little disappointing.

This is another one where I DON'T suggest the trailer. Because it gives away too much. But here it is just in case you want a look:

Anyway...it's nothing special, but it's decent enough to mention. The Smile guy's performance is really good, and I'm curious to see him tackle more in the genre.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I find the Exorcist: Believer worse than any of the Halloween trilogy. Exorcist TRIED to do what the first Halloween in the new trilogy did; which is to load up on easter eggs, bring back a key character, and retread a lot of the old beloved scares. But none of the retreads lived up to the original scares, and the returning character added ZERO VALUE to the story. She was just brought back to trick fans in the trailer.

Halloween 2018 was cool because it felt fresh. But they went back to the formula for Kills, Ends, and Exorcist: Believer; but it felt cheaper every time. Plus, you're dead on about how weird the sequels got. The tone shifted like crazy from each movie to the next, and it never felt like they movies connected on any themes. They were just callbacks to old characters that the writers didn't even seem to care about.

That "Evil Dies Tonight" crap was the low point of the trilogy for me. The "new" Michael concept coulda been a really creative idea that refreshed the series for a long time, but they had no balls to see it through.

I also agree that Green and McBride are great at comedy. I'm not up on Gemstones, but Eastbound is an all-timer and Vice Principals was great.
Lol, I don’t know why they thought bringing back Chris would be a big selling point. Like, all respect to Ellen Burnstyn (she’s amazing), but her character is nowhere close to beloved like JLC’s Laurie Strode.

You nailed it. 2018’s reception was a far-cry compared to how much the audience grew tired of it years later. Blumhouse actually had an active stanbase back then, lmao. The thing that bugs me the most about Green’s ‘Halloween’ run is that ‘Kills’ and ‘Ends’ both have moments of brilliance, but those little glimmers of hope are boggled down by a multitude of bad decisions in the end.

Loved seeing Michael go wild on the Haddonfield Mob in ‘Kills’. Most of his kills being downright silly like it was the 80s again. The opening bit in ‘Ends’ with Corey was very promising I thought and it felt like the rest of the film couldn’t match that intensity. :snoop:

thought this seemed familiar

nikkas that made this one gonna be in the theater like:

:russ:

:dead:

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
They got Detective Mark Hoffman in this:dead:

Is it worth a watch?
I thought it was fine and enjoyed a lot of it. It was original (at the time) and adds a slight twist to the vampire mythos.

Needed a bigger budget though.

I think I mentioned years ago how big name studios jack/remix ideas from indie movies to give them to the hot-new directors and if you watch a lot of them, you be in the theater pissed off because you figure the new movie out while watching it because you saw the exact same movie years earlier and just did not remember before your bought the ticket.
:russ: