Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
So I peeped a thriller called Humane. It's set in a dystopian future where resources are low, so the government institutes a program where people volunteer to die and their family's are taken care of. A wealthy father invites his spoiled children to dinner, where he informs them that he's signed up for the program along with his wife. But when a team arrives to put the father and wife down, things don't go as planned.

This trailer kinda gives away a bit, but it's kinda the only way to get where the premise is going...

It's takes a little while to get going but it's not bad. The characters are kinda all A-holes, but that works for these kinda social satires. It's nothing special, but the premise is cool and the performances are fun.

I enjoyed Humane a lot.
When things took that turn and business picked up I was hooked. Love when there is well done social commentary in a dark comedy-horror flick.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I watched Abigail recently and really enjoyed it it aucks that most twist was given out before hand but I don't know how they could have marketed the movie. Radio Silence really understand the Comedy Horror sub genre and I'll be there for anything else they release.

Updated rankings for the year are:

Abigail or Late Night with the Devil(I had a problem with both movies endings but the first 2/3 of the movies are a fun ride)
Immaculate
Night Shift
Double Blind
Lisa Frankenstein
Night Swim
Would you consider Late Night better than Immaculate?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I enjoyed Humane a lot.
When things took that turn and business picked up I was hooked. Love when there is well done social commentary in a dark comedy-horror flick.
It's like someone wanted to give Succession a horror-makover. It's definitely a fun watch. Once things pick up it really spirals fast :mjlol:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Would you consider Late Night better than Immaculate?

For me yea. I really enjoyed the late night talk show setting. I used to watch a lot of late night talk shows and it was something new in a movie.

With Immaculate the reason why it isn't higher for me is because it felt like many movies I've seen before. Cecelia's pregnancy and motive behind it was like Rosemary's Baby. The plotting and her treatment by the senior nuns and clergy members was like Suspiria. The one suicide of jumping out the window was like the Omen.

I did enjoy the movie and liked the ending. I'm sure the movie is supposed to be about a woman's right to choose. That's a big NO in the Catholic faith which made it hit harder for me.

Even though LNwtD shared aspects with other movies, mainly The Exorcist, it felt more original. I also really enjoyed the acting from Jack Delroy, Lilly, and Carmichael Hunt. Sydney Sweeny did a good job and I respect her going with little or no make up when she's supposed to be a sex symbol.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
For me yea. I really enjoyed the late night talk show setting. I used to watch a lot of late night talk shows and it was something new in a movie.

With Immaculate the reason why it isn't higher for me is because it felt like many movies I've seen before. Cecelia's pregnancy and motive behind it was like Rosemary's Baby. The plotting and her treatment by the senior nuns and clergy members was like Suspiria. The one suicide of jumping out the window was like the Omen.

I did enjoy the movie and liked the ending. I'm sure the movie is supposed to be about a woman's right to choose. That's a big NO in the Catholic faith which made it hit harder for me.

Even though LNwtD shared aspects with other movies, mainly The Exorcist, it felt more original. I also really enjoyed the acting from Jack Delroy, Lilly, and Carmichael Hunt. Sydney Sweeny did a good job and I respect her going with little or no make up when she's supposed to be a sex symbol.
Appreciate the insight. I loved LNwtD so I wanted to see if Immaculate topped it.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
There were so many scenes of the killers striking poses in the background or being thisclose to their victims without being noticed. shyt was ridiculous.
I’ve noticed that most of these social media reactions for films are usually sugar-coated and pandering to the distributors, but I actually caught one last night that deviated from such.

They compared Chapter One to something that would cater more towards the primetime CW crowd and that’s honestly the vibe I initially took away from the trailers. It looks glossy, nowhere near as raw and subtle as Bertino’s, and the killers come across as embracing the theatrics more than ever. It made me wonder if they are killing just because or “doing it for the gram”. If someone had told me it’s set in the same universe as MTV’s ‘My Super Psycho Sweet 16’, I would not be shocked.

I’ll check it out eventually though. I thought Bertino’s even got a little ridiculous at a certain point, but I was so enamored with the build-up that I let those silly moments go.

Am I filing this one under “Bad flick, but great for the memes”? :dead:

Wait for Tarot to come out on streaming because it is not worth a trip to a movie theater.
Definitely catching it on VOD. It looked bad, but batshyt silly too and I usually find a way to be entertained with those type of flicks. If I’m Batalon though, I’m knocking on Kevin Feige’s door and asking if they need me for the next Spidey. Hope he can find more projects because it is looking rough for him outside of that.

I hated everyone in The Rental except for the killer.
I appreciated the choice to have him be so no-nonsense with the way he was murking people. Dude was moving like he got paid by the hour and his company didn't offer overtime pay.
It’s wild because I really like that cast for the most part. Jeremy Allen White, Dan Stevens, Sheila Vand, and Allison Brie who will always get Community love.

But the screenplay had them moving mad despicable, no me. :scust:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I’ve noticed that most of these social media reactions for films are usually sugar-coated and pandering to the distributors, but I actually caught one last night that deviated from such.

They compared Chapter One to something that would cater more towards the primetime CW crowd and that’s honestly the vibe I initially took away from the trailers. It looks glossy, nowhere near as raw and subtle as Bertino’s, and the killers come across as embracing the theatrics more than ever. It made me wonder if they are killing just because or “doing it for the gram”. If someone had told me it’s set in the same universe as MTV’s ‘My Super Psycho Sweet 16’, I would not be shocked.

I’ll check it out eventually though. I thought Bertino’s even got a little ridiculous at a certain point, but I was so enamored with the build-up that I let those silly moments go.

Am I filing this one under “Bad flick, but great for the memes”? :dead:

Definitely catching it on VOD. It looked bad, but batshyt silly too and I usually find a way to be entertained with those type of flicks. If I’m Batalon though, I’m knocking on Kevin Feige’s door and asking if they need me for the next Spidey. Hope he can find more projects because it is looking rough for him outside of that.

It’s wild because I really like that cast for the most part. Jeremy Allen White, Dan Stevens, Sheila Vand, and Allison Brie who will always get Community love.

But the screenplay had them moving mad despicable, no me. :scust:

One of the biggest flaws with how Chapter 1 is set up and where it completely falls apart in comparison with The Strangers is with the couple at the heart of the film.
In The Strangers, Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman were a couple barely hanging on in their relationship and that dynamic made things super fukking tense before the knock at the door even happened.
In Chapter 1, Madelaine Petsch and Froy Gutierrez by contrast were an exceedingly bland happy couple so there wasn't even any relationship tension to play with which these moribund proceedings desperately could've used.

One of the other big flaws is that you know exactly which citizens of the creepy dead end town Petsch and Gutierrez are stuck in are under the masks which removes all the mystique that The Man in the Mask, Dollface and Pin-Up Girl are supposed to have.