Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
THE WAR OF JOKES AND RIDDLES, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Marvel has been pushing Carol as hard as they have over the years because they wanted a character to compete with Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman was big deal LONG before that movie was even in development. Marvel was just too stupid or bigoted to realize that the best shot they had at competing with Wonder Woman was Storm.

The re branding of Carol as Captain Marvel was about making her seem like a bigger deal and maintaining the rights to the name Captain Marvel. That's also why they suddenly made her some high ranking figure in the U.S. Government when she was never that before.

We never saw her go on a journey of becoming a bigger deal in the Marvel Universe, they just had her suddenly become a big deal one day out of nowhere.
The crazy thing is they could have just as easily done that with Monica Rambeau.
She could have reclaimed the Captain Marvel name since none of Mar-Vell's kids were using it.
She was a former cop and she was the leader of The Avengers for a bit which they could have used as the tie-in to her becoming the "Top Cop of Super-Heroes" working for the government.
Monica would have been a seamless transition into the character they wanted Captain Marvel to be without completely changing the character's personality like they did with Carol.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
THE WAR OF JOKES AND RIDDLES, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

Billy-D_Approves.gif
I second that applause.
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

I kept trying to guess what Batman's big secret was but I never would have guessed what King actually came up with.
And The Riddler's big reveal was crazy too. It makes him so much more compelling as a character to know his mind would even come up with that plan.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The crazy thing is they could have just as easily done that with Monica Rambeau.
She could have reclaimed the Captain Marvel name since none of Mar-Vell's kids were using it.
She was a former cop and she was the leader of The Avengers for a bit which they could have used as the tie-in to her becoming the "Top Cop of Super-Heroes" working for the government.
Monica would have been a seamless transition into the character they wanted Captain Marvel to be without completely changing the character's personality like they did with Carol.

Man one of yall with a twitter needs to hit up Ryan Coogler and ask him how he'd feel about directing a Monica Rambeau/Spectrum movie, and get that campaign started.

Because I would hate for Monica Rambeau to wind up as nothing more than Carol's "Rhodey" two years from now :scust:

On some "black best friend" bullshyt just to finesse black people into checking the film out.

Shiiid, i'm bout to find an email address or contact and tell Coogler my damn self.

Or gotta light a fire under black twitter to start that campaign to get her on the screen. Fukk waiting on Marvel to act right

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Cacs caccing it up more than ever in Trump's America.

Black Panther has a new Year One mini series coming out in a few months and this cac retailer said this

ZrunjkA.jpg

So they bytch that they hate legacy characters and want Marvel to just come up with original black characters but here we are with the OG original black character and these same type of cacs talking shyt about they gon make sure it flops.

So basically they don't want legacy characters so they can more easily ignore, neglect and sink black-starring books

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Cacs caccing it up more than ever in Trump's America.

Black Panther has a new Year One mini series coming out in a few months and this cac retailer said this

ZrunjkA.jpg

So they bytch that they hate legacy characters and want Marvel to just come up with original black characters but here we are with the OG original black character and these same type of cacs talking shyt about they gon make sure it flops.

So basically they don't want legacy characters so they can more easily ignore, neglect and sink black-starring books

not siding with dude because i dont know his intentions, but i and a few others have expressed disgust on what this book could be based on the writing team. panther has been at his worst this run

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I second that applause.
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

I kept trying to guess what Batman's big secret was but I never would have guessed what King actually came up with.
And The Riddler's big reveal was crazy too. It makes him so much more compelling as a character to know his mind would even come up with that plan.

breh, I literally went ":gladbron: holllyyyy shieit" during those last flashback pages.

DC needs to animate this whole story TODAY.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I second that applause.
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

it was an ok ending. Batman's huburis should have been his reason to kill Nigma.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
DC to Relaunch Milestone Universe With 2018's 'Earth M'
XTvkmdC.jpg

The new imprint will feature five titles in its first wave with filmmaker Reginald Hudlin taking a central role.

Announced Thursday during a panel at New York Comic Con, the new Milestone projects are being shepherded by the original founders of the company, Derek Dingle and Denys Cowan, with filmmaker Reginald Hudlin — who was invited to join the first generation of the firm — taking a central role.

"The idea is that, when Derek approached Denys and I about reforming Milestone, one of the things we talked about was, we can't just repeat what was done before," Hudlin told the audience. "For us to simply repeat and rehash what was done before was not that exciting to us creatively." The result is the umbrella title of Earth M, a name that reflects the fact that the new Milestone will travel beyond the Dakota City setting of the original comics. "It's a broader, more worldwide view," promised Cowan.

Of the five launch series, three are reboots of characters and concepts from the original Milestone line: Milestone features Icon and Rocket, while Duo — written by Greg Pak — is a new twist on the 1993 Xombi series. (Static Shock is a reboot of the original Static series, later adapted for television under the Static Shock title.) Love Army (which Hudlin described by saying, "I don't want to say too much about the concept of the Love Army, other than they are all over the world, they're super-strong, they kick ass and they're a secret organization") and Earth M (which Russell said asked the question, "What is crime?") are both new concepts.

According to Hudlin, "This is literally just the tip of a broad range of characters we're going to be coming out with." He added, "I know we announced it, and then we went back to the drawing board. … We're very proud of this set of books, but wait 'til you see the second wave."

Added Cowan, "It's taken a long time, but it was worth waiting and getting it right."

At the end of the panel — which also featured appearances by artists Kyle Baker and Ken Lashley, who illustrate Static Shock and Milestone, respectively, and DC co-publisher Jim Lee, who is providing covers to Duo — Cowan said, "There's stuff going on in the world. I don't have to tell you what's been going on with us, with our people. It's a time for heroes, and we intend to show you guys as many as we can."

DC to Relaunch Milestone Universe With 2018's 'Earth M'

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
MILESTONE
Y6bLick.jpg

It all starts with a title called Milestone, a series by Hudlin and artist Ken Lashley which will give an overview of the personas in the fictional landscape that first launched in 1993. The lead characters will be Icon and Rocket, and Hudlin said it’ll be a story that Superman would never do.
mRhri2t.jpg

STATIC SHOCK
NTgSzPH.jpg

Static Shock, an ongoing series from Hudlin and legendary artist Kyle Baker, will re-imagine the imprint’s most popular character. In this new book, Virgil Hawkins is a 14-year-old kid who loves science and comics and develops electromagnetic superpowers.
1WDkk1S.jpg

One of the new elements showing up in Static Shock is the character of Amber. Hudlin described her by saying, “Usually in a black neighborhood, there’s that white family who can’t afford to move out. Amber is like ‘what if one of them were a superhero?’” Hudlin also teased thematic details, hinting that the new Static Shock would touch on police brutality by saying, “I’m from St. Louis. You know what’s in St. Louis? Ferguson.”
vCYPxl2.jpg

DUO
Ex6sZWg.jpg

Greg Pak will be writing Duo, a miniseries taht revolves around the twisted story of Jake and Julie Chan, a couple forced to live in one body for the rest of their days.
Hudlin and Pak said that Duo will be “an extra spin on the Xombi premise”, referring to the classic Milestone horror action comic written by John Rozum. In thsi new story, the main characters are bound in one body when a wife allows herbiomatter to be repurposed to repair her husband’s body. The nanobots also transfer over her consciousness and the question of their existence become profound. “The person you’re most intimately connected with,” Pak said. “What if they knew everything you felt? What if they vied for control of the one body?’ As for the villains, Pak said “In a body like this, you’re immortal. What does that mean and who might not be that unhappy about that?” Jim Lee will be doing variant covers for Duo.

LOVE ARMY
r7mXtW0.jpg

Hudlin is also handling writing duties on Love Army, a miniseries that introduces a secret army of female planetary protectors with amazing abilities and super-strength.

EARTH M
2SxZlAt.jpg

Writer Alice Randall will pair up with Hudlin on Earth M, a new series that will introduce a mysterious new vigilante character.
7lU8GdG.jpg

At the panel, Hudlin said that Earth M would be a total reset and wouldn’t lean on what had been done before. It’s also going to be a separate reality. “We thought the Milestone characters work outside of the mainline DC Universe,” said Hudlin. “Milestone reflected the times it was created in,” he noted, “and we want these new series to reflect these times. Milestone isn’t just black and brown characters, there were gay characters way before that was the norm. For us to repeat and rehash what was done before was not that exciting to us.”