Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - Cancel the open top bus, Klopp farewell tour ends in shambles

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
5th relegation for Maguire?
ZwedExz.png

Must be De Gea's fault.
u23d1LT.png

Just realised every game so far Maguire has started this season, it's been an L. :picard:

Last edited:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Hold up England lost to Italy? This Italy :mindblown:

And Southgate made only two substitutions :gucci: and those two subs were Luke Shaw and Grealish :what:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Still no idea how this Nations League works :pachaha:

To be honest, the Nations league is one of the few modifications of late that UEFA has gotten correct. Essentially, they've scrapped the European int'l friendlies and put the Nation's league in place.

You got the A, B, C and D leagues with the top teams in the A league. The winners of each group in league A go on to play in the Nation's league SFs and Final. The bottom team in each group in league A gets relegated to league B. The winners of each group in League B get promoted to League A and the same pattern applies for C and D, although D has fewer groups so there's like a relegation play-off for League C or something like that.

The big kicker for Nation's league is there are slots awarded to the best performing teams for UEFA Euro and WCQ that didn't automatically qualify for the tournaments.

So let's say Italy goes on to win their group and the Nations league but fails to qualify outright for Euro 2024. Since they won their group, they'll have a slot to try and qualify through play-offs.

For the 2022 WCQ, Austria and Czech Republic made the WCQ playoff rounds by virtue of winning their Nations league group and being the highest ranked teams that didn't automatically qualify for the WC. Essentially acts like a get out of jail card for some of the bigger nations

I actually think it's a very nice setup since there's something to at least play for and the nations can win a trophy as well :ehh:

Quick video explanation.

Last edited:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983
How did the Fab 4 of Raphinia, Vini, Ney, and Richarlison do? And Paqueta behind them... Hexa em el aire....

I was pleased with what I saw, most offensive formation I've seen in a minute. Neither Vinícius nor Raphinha (think he was the worst although he still got an assist) were that great but that's not saying much, a friendly was never gonna demand much out of them and the shyt was over with by half-time.