The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wonder if Joe still in good enough graces with Diddy, where :takedat: can fund some sort of platform for Black Gossip podcast just have it under Joes banner. Or that ship has already sailed :francis:

History shows us Joe is prone to these kind of situations and he was possibly gonna fumble this Spotify situation. The Michelle Obama deal but more so the The Joe Rogan bag you already know the vibes. Don’t ever pocket watch but I truly wonder if the figure is a fair number and these guys(Joe) isn’t overestimating their worth and value.
it's not the figure. It's the fact that they want everything. According to him, they want the rights on everything (pull ups, state of the culture, etc). And no revenu share. Kinda like a 360. He sasid the money offered is crazy but he's not comfortable with what he's giving up.

It's as if you wanted to sell your car and the buyer comes and makes you a 5 million dollar offer for your car, furniture, wardrobe, your house, all of your friends house, etc. But all you want is to sell your car. The rest is not for sale.

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Joe Budden is taking his podcast off Spotify because the company ‘is pillaging’ his audience

Broadly, he questions the entire podcasting system and what a podcast stream is worth, especially given that musicians and record labels have already established those terms with streaming platforms. That number, for podcasters, still isn’t standardized.

Budden isn’t the first Spotify-associated podcaster to speak up about the industry. The hosts of The Nod, which became a Spotify-owned show after the company acquired Gimlet Media, spoke out in June about their issues with show ownership. Brittany Luse and Eric Eddings say they built their show and audience but owned none of it.

“At the end of the day, investing in someone’s talent isn’t the same as having the talent yourself,” Luse told The Verge. “It’s very strange that [Spotify and Gimlet] are the only people who can claim ownership over [The Nod and its segments].”

Spotify has made headlines in the industry by signing big names, like Kim Kardashian West, Joe Rogan, and Michelle Obama, to exclusive shows. The terms of all those deals are unclear, but at least part of the strategy is for Spotify to sell ads against those shows, netting it additional revenue. (The company includes ads on podcasts, even if premium subscribers are listening.) It needs big shows to sell big ad deals.

Podcasting has clearly become a potentially massive money-maker, but some hosts want more ownership and payment. Budden doesn’t clarify if he’s entertaining other exclusive offers, and whether he thinks that’s the future of podcasting. He paved the way for the exclusive model and is seemingly abandoning it, at least for now.

Last edited:
Daps
Why do I feel like the majority of these people that listen to JBP are aspiring podcasters? Cause I don’t understand why they get so hype over these convo’s.

:rudy: how come it just can't be I might want to go into business for my self ....and I anit trying to get fukked or sell my soul for some dumb shyt .

Daps
Joe Budden is taking his podcast off Spotify because the company ‘is pillaging’ his audience

Broadly, he questions the entire podcasting system and what a podcast stream is worth, especially given that musicians and record labels have already established those terms with streaming platforms. That number, for podcasters, still isn’t standardized.

Budden isn’t the first Spotify-associated podcaster to speak up about the industry. The hosts of The Nod, which became a Spotify-owned show after the company acquired Gimlet Media, spoke out in June about their issues with show ownership. Brittany Luse and Eric Eddings say they built their show and audience but owned none of it.

“At the end of the day, investing in someone’s talent isn’t the same as having the talent yourself,” Luse told The Verge. “It’s very strange that [Spotify and Gimlet] are the only people who can claim ownership over [The Nod and its segments].”

Spotify has made headlines in the industry by signing big names, like Kim Kardashian West, Joe Rogan, and Michelle Obama, to exclusive shows. The terms of all those deals are unclear, but at least part of the strategy is for Spotify to sell ads against those shows, netting it additional revenue. (The company includes ads on podcasts, even if premium subscribers are listening.) It needs big shows to sell big ad deals.

Podcasting has clearly become a potentially massive money-maker, but some hosts want more ownership and payment. Budden doesn’t clarify if he’s entertaining other exclusive offers, and whether he thinks that’s the future of podcasting. He paved the way for the exclusive model and is seemingly abandoning it, at least for now.

You known everybody is going to still kill Joe right ....

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

This is different. These 2 were paid to create a podcast and now that it’s successful they are complaining about the lack of ownership

I don’t want to say creators are starting to annoy me but come on man. The people that invest and take on the risk will always have more control always be able to dictate

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
You known everybody is going to still kill Joe right ....
Joe and them were owners according to himself. I don’t know who these other guys are. If he was lying he’s a dummy for signing with them in the first place after years of talking about ownership :stopitslime:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
This is different. These 2 were paid to create a podcast and now that it’s successful they are complaining about the lack of ownership

I don’t want to say creators are starting to annoy me but come on man. The people that invest and take on the risk will always have more control always be able to dictate
So these people were employed by Spotify, it took off and now they’ve been finessed? Did they pay for marketing on the first pages on Spotify and stuff with their own money? Did they get their listeners or did Spotify deliver them?

If you are just starting out you don’t have leverage, you can’t complain. Now they are apparently big, when their contract is over they’ll renegotiate or take it elsewhere as any other job or deal. Even highly regulated ones like American sports. Art/media people think they are above other people and demand special treatment :mindblown:

DanielAlfredsson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Joe speaking on how Spotify had Bill Simmons call and check up on him was really telling

I can kinda see why Joe feels some type of way. He kind of embraced the internet well before other rappers did, but seeing other high profile celebs (who are new to podcasting) get deals thrown at them must have irked him.

I didn't hear the episode but was Simmons lumped into that group of "new to podcasting" by Joe?

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What's I find ironic is that a lot of the people that are now concerned about how their business affairs are looking are the same ones saying rappers are stupid for signing shytty deals.

What's going to be funny (unless it got addressed in this episode, haven't finished it) is when someone eventually talks about what happens with old episodes recorded under this deal. Breh about to be mad they won't give him the old episodes to take elsewhere. :mjlol:

Daps
... I see why i stopped coming in the thread .nikkas is in here is stupid . The nikkas in thread my not remember but I remember when they offered Dave Chappelle 50 million . When Joe went to talking about his father possible dying it took me back to one situation ....Dave Chappelle. A lot of people don't understand Art VS CORPORATE INTEREST. I'm not going say the lseeon I got but Joe's situation is very familiar.....

So many people laughed this man out the building for not taking that 50 million.

Daps
Joe and them were owners according to himself. I don’t know who these other guys are. If he was lying he’s a dummy for signing with them in the first place after years of talking about ownership :stopitslime:

:snoop:Jesus man NVM fukk it ...

Scruffy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I didn't hear the episode but was Simmons lumped into that group of "new to podcasting" by Joe?
No, but apparently Spotify had Bill Simmons call Joe when they had their few week break (Joe's Father was really ill), and was asking him why he stopped podding and if everything was okay. He also let Joe know that he could still pod from home.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's I find ironic is that a lot of the people that are now concerned about how their business affairs are looking are the same ones saying rappers are stupid for signing shytty deals.

What's going to be funny (unless it got addressed in this episode, haven't finished it) is when someone eventually talks about what happens with old episodes recorded under this deal. Breh about to be mad they won't give him the old episodes to take elsewhere. :mjlol:
As far as old eps for joe, they are already on youtube. Seems like spotify paid them to have the 2 days exclusivivity.

The main fukked up thing in what joe said is how spotify played them with the analytics. When joe asked for them, spotify replied they can't provide them because they got hacked :dead: