The Official Maschine Thread.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I've had it for a minute and just opened it the day before yesterday...

It took awhile to set up software because it kept crashing on startup so after that I just let it sit.

I've never worked this.. I've used MPC and Akai but my homie used maschine and I'm looking to get back into making beats.

I normally use Logic Pro as my DAW but I want to learn maschine first, so I've been looking at tutorials and even the basics seem like a lot (switching from groups, scenes, patterns, etc.

It seems simple and yet complicated if you never used maschine before, so I'm in the beginner stage of just using the hardware/DAW. Once I understand all it can do then creating songs is the easy stuff.

What would be some beginner hardware tips? That would be great.
Logic is cool...but for now just put it aside and focus on MAschine.
Cool thing about Maschine is that it is a standalone software but can also be opened up as a VST(inside logic for example)

First thing you shoulkd do is just open up one of the premade tracks that comes with it.
they are more than likely garbage but you get to see how they lay out their songs.

just scroll around and see how things are laid out

now delete it and start a new song
(i'm at work so if its not 100% accurate bare with me)

go to groups, and open up kits, then grab an urban drum kit...pick any doesn't matter.
first thing you want to learn is just how to lay out a drum track, a simple four bar drum loop.
you can edit the drums that are in there and switch em out later but just for now use the ones that came with it just to learn it.

remember, just focus on one pattern. Easiest thing s to create a 2 bar loop then on the maschine go pattern and it "double" onth emaschine screen to make four bars double again to make 8 bars, etc
so you have group A - Name it OTIS Drums if you want
open up a new group
then scroll through instruments and go to Bass
then find a bass sound you like.
or just open Massive and assign it in group 2 sound 1
etc etc
keep doing that going through sounds you want.

best thing to do is just know what each thing does
a pattern is for one group and you can create multiple patterns for that group and change them by holding pattern buttoin and hitting the corresponding pad

a scene is a collection of patterns across all the groups. I use scenes broken up like "Intro", "hook", "verse", "outro",etc for example so its easy to see

keep everything named properly and it will be easier to navigate.

shyt...this is getting long winded. anything more specific lol?

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Logic is cool...but for now just put it aside and focus on MAschine.
Cool thing about Maschine is that it is a standalone software but can also be opened up as a VST(inside logic for example)

First thing you shoulkd do is just open up one of the premade tracks that comes with it.
they are more than likely garbage but you get to see how they lay out their songs.

just scroll around and see how things are laid out

now delete it and start a new song
(i'm at work so if its not 100% accurate bare with me)

go to groups, and open up kits, then grab an urban drum kit...pick any doesn't matter.
first thing you want to learn is just how to lay out a drum track, a simple four bar drum loop.
you can edit the drums that are in there and switch em out later but just for now use the ones that came with it just to learn it.

remember, just focus on one pattern. Easiest thing s to create a 2 bar loop then on the maschine go pattern and it "double" onth emaschine screen to make four bars double again to make 8 bars, etc
so you have group A - Name it OTIS Drums if you want
open up a new group
then scroll through instruments and go to Bass
then find a bass sound you like.
or just open Massive and assign it in group 2 sound 1
etc etc
keep doing that going through sounds you want.

best thing to do is just know what each thing does
a pattern is for one group and you can create multiple patterns for that group and change them by holding pattern buttoin and hitting the corresponding pad

a scene is a collection of patterns across all the groups. I use scenes broken up like "Intro", "hook", "verse", "outro",etc for example so its easy to see

keep everything named properly and it will be easier to navigate.

shyt...this is getting long winded. anything more specific lol?
:salute:

I'm gonna hop on it asap

But also, how do I even change the bars (from one bar, to 2 bars, 4 bars, etc)

Simple enough i know:snoop:but that's where I got stuck at last time. I could change the metronome intro to multiple bars but not the actual recording. So the drum pattern I had in mind was 2 bars but I could only record 1 before it began overlapping the loop...

Small question I know... But it's the details that are getting me right now.. And the tutorials aren't really helping because each person seems to do things a certain way

Like I notice some people just use a drum kit and some people seem to load the pad with instruments they chose

Even when I used MPC I was still just using the keys mostly so I'm familiar with pads but not in maschine.

It seems easy just very detailed equipment

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:salute:

I'm gonna hop on it asap

But also, how do I even change the bars (from one bar, to 2 bars, 4 bars, etc)

Simple enough i know:snoop:but that's where I got stuck at last time. I could change the metronome intro to multiple bars but not the actual recording. So the drum pattern I had in mind was 2 bars but I could only record 1 before it began overlapping the loop...

Small question I know... But it's the details that are getting me right now.. And the tutorials aren't really helping because each person seems to do things a certain way

Like I notice some people just use a drum kit and some people seem to load the pad with instruments they chose

Even when I used MPC I was still just using the keys mostly so I'm familiar with pads but not in maschine.

It seems easy just very detailed equipment
once you open a new song go on the maschine hardware hold the pattern button down and on the screen it will pop up "double" just click that and it will go to 2 bars, hit it again and it will go to four, again to 8 etc.

I have a few drum kits I created and saved that I go to.

I've actually created a "template" song that opens up right when the program opens

its bascially 4 groups,with no patterns created
1st group is "Drums" loaded with a drum kit I use alot
2nd group is "Bass" where I have a few sub basses and bass synths that I like
3rd group is "Synths" where I load up my synths and pads,etc (usually empty at the template)
4th group is "Instruments" like Horns and Strings, or Pianos

THen depending on what Kind of beat I'm making I would just edit the sounds individually as needed
Like a certain kick or snare.

It makes it nice and quick to get up and running.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
once you open a new song go on the maschine hardware hold the pattern button down and on the screen it will pop up "double" just click that and it will go to 2 bars, hit it again and it will go to four, again to 8 etc.

I have a few drum kits I created and saved that I go to.

I've actually created a "template" song that opens up right when the program opens

its bascially 4 groups,with no patterns created
1st group is "Drums" loaded with a drum kit I use alot
2nd group is "Bass" where I have a few sub basses and bass synths that I like
3rd group is "Synths" where I load up my synths and pads,etc (usually empty at the template)
4th group is "Instruments" like Horns and Strings, or Pianos

THen depending on what Kind of beat I'm making I would just edit the sounds individually as needed
Like a certain kick or snare.

It makes it nice and quick to get up and running.
Damn that shyt sounds so efficient :wow:

Dapped + repped on this bruh. I wish I could create a template but I guess I'm just going to have to keep playing around with it...

But even just telling me how create bar length was enough for me...

Thx bruh I'll hit you up if I have anymore questions. ill have to go through all the sounds I guess to find some to create a nice template with so I think that'll take time.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Damn that shyt sounds so efficient :wow:

Dapped + repped on this bruh. I wish I could create a template but I guess I'm just going to have to keep playing around with it...

But even just telling me how create bar length was enough for me...

Thx bruh I'll hit you up if I have anymore questions. ill have to go through all the sounds I guess to find some to create a nice template with so I think that'll take time.

once you have that set and you have a pattern created. click on the next "scene"
then click pattern one(that you just created)
hit the pattern button and while holding that one hit the duplicate button then hit the first pad(it will flash) then hit the second pad

you just created a second pattern.....so now you have two different patterns that you can edit and changeup

I like to do this

Open maschine(template opens)

create a four-8 bar loop of a song that I feel will be my main hook or verse with drums, bass, instruments, samples, synths whatever you want

then go to scene two, duplicate that pattern(for all groups)
then do it one more time on scene 3 and one more time for scene 4

you bascially just create 4 scenes all the same with the main loop you created.
Scene 1 = intro
Scene 2 = hook
scene 3 = verse
scene 4 = outro

bascially your song is now "laid out" double the length of the verse (to be 16)

now you can go in to each scene and just change up how you want your hook to sound or how you want your verse to sound.

then once you have your verse the way you want and hook the way you want
you can duplicate those scenes(rename the duplicates to hook or verse) no you have your full song

just go in and edit the second verse or thrid verse the way you want then work your outro and BOOM!!
full beat done

sounds like a lot but with this workflow I can have full beats donw in no time(once the original melody and stuff is done)

jae jaxson

Rookie
Daps

This beat was made by Jay Jackson of last gasp in Maschine running as a VST through Fl Studio

jae jaxson

Rookie
Daps
This project was produced and written by jay jackson in 2 weeks, 90% of the Drums were made and arranged on maschine

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Just copped a Maschine Studio off ebay for $520

I always made beats in Reason or fruity loops but i been wanting to try something different

Tried a mpc a couple years ago and wasn't feeling the outdated and slow workflow

Was gonna cop a Ren but heard the software was :trash: so I decided to get a maschine

Was planning on getting a mk2 but couldn't pass up the Studio for $520

Thank god for the "or best offer" option on ebay :blessed:

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Just copped a Maschine Studio off ebay for $520

I always made beats in Reason or fruity loops but i been wanting to try something different

Tried a mpc a couple years ago and wasn't feeling the outdated and slow workflow

Was gonna cop a Ren but heard the software was :trash: so I decided to get a maschine

Was planning on getting a mk2 but couldn't pass up the Studio for $520

Thank god for the "or best offer" option on ebay :blessed:
Daamn bruh, that is a great deal.

I love that best offer shyt though best thing about ebay for me.

Welcome to Maschine

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I was actually looking at upgrading to the studio...still might

jsut wondering if NI is ever gonna drop something new.

I've been lookin for deals, I ain't buying one new at this point. but if I can get one cheap enough I'll bite.

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Daamn bruh, that is a great deal.

I love that best offer shyt though best thing about ebay for me.

Welcome to Maschine
I love it too :wow:

I always low ball people just to see if anyone bites

i actually had 2 offers to choose from.A white studio for $585 and a black one for $520

I wanted the white one but it wasn't really worth an extra $65

Both of those dudes were selling them for $700 and $750 originally :wow:

Quick question though: now that i have a maschine can i cop a komplete kontrol keyboard without the software?

I read somewhere that the maschine software comes with komplete select so wouldn't i be able to just use a s49 keyboard with the maschine and the 2.4 software or do I need the software that comes with the keyboard?

I ask because im noticing the keyboards without the software are alot cheaper so I'd rather cop one without the software

I tried googling and im getting mixed answered.Some are saying you're good if you have a maschine and 2.2 or higher and others are saying the keyboard is useless without komplete 9 or 10 or the software that comes with the keyboard(komplete select?)

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I love it too :wow:

I always low ball people just to see if anyone bites

i actually had 2 offers to choose from.A white studio for $585 and a black one for $520

I wanted the white one but it wasn't really worth an extra $65

Both of those dudes were selling them for $700 and $750 originally :wow:

Quick question though: now that i have a maschine can i cop a komplete kontrol keyboard without the software?

I read somewhere that the maschine software comes with komplete select so wouldn't i be able to just use a s49 keyboard with the maschine and the 2.4 software or do I need the software that comes with the keyboard?

I ask because im noticing the keyboards without the software are alot cheaper so I'd rather cop one without the software

I tried googling and im getting mixed answered.Some are saying you're good if you have a maschine and 2.2 or higher and others are saying the keyboard is useless without komplete 9 or 10 or the software that comes with the keyboard(komplete select?)
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the Keyboard. Maschine and Komplete keyboards both come with komplete select. Not the full version of komplete.