The official MPC Thread

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
:wow:

What version of JJOS do you suggest I cop. Is the free one good enough to eat off of?

JJ OS Comparison Chart

I think the full versions worth it. 3.13 is the free one, more features as you go right.

Try the free one first, but lots of the cool stuff is in the full version. Keep in mind there is a steep learning curve to this stuff. If you're not already comfortable with the general workflow of an MPC or any sampler/MIDI sequencer for that matter, then the benefits of the JJOS won't be readily apparent.

Once the MPC is second nature though you start to see the roadblocks that JJOS has removed, and the 'DUH' kind of stuff they added to the system.

I def suggest it though. In fact I'd suggest teaching yourself on JJOS instead of the AKAI OS if you're new to it.

TEKBEATZ

Banging Pads
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Saint Petersburg. FL
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet but holla at me if any of yall got any questions.

I used to work for AKAI beta testing, writing guides, and doing tech support for artists and end users, I essentially mastered virtually every MPC. :youngsabo:

I live mostly inside Logic now production wise but I can get around the 1000, 2500, 4000, 5000, and 500 with my eyes shut, I literally wrote the guides on them.

If you're really stuck on chopping samples, time stretching, navigation, MIDI, using the MPC as a sequencer and Reason/Logic/ProTools as a sound module.

Syncing the MPC to your DAW for tracking. Let me know, PM me if you're embarassed.

Anyone with a 4000 I can help ya with keygroups and setting up different modulations. THAT machine is the most advanced MPC.
oh yeah I have questions on my MPC2000XL for tomorrow :ahh:

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
Are you trying to use the MPC just kinda like a MIDI controller for the pads and still use Reasons sequencer? Or would you rather use the MPC as a sequencer and Reason as a sound module?

Also how familiar are you with MIDI. Do you already understand each MIDI out has 16 channels and how note on note off messages work?

This guy explains how to use the MPC as a sequencer and Reason as a sound module, all while rewiring through ProTools so everything is synced when you need to track everything out. Its much easier to copy what you see visually than for me to type step by step instructions. Let me know if this confuses you.

Tracking out Reason 4 as sound module & MPC as sequencer to Pro Tools Tutorial. Part 1 of 5 - YouTube

Thank you for the response! I know how to do it with Pro Tools, but I no longer have it.

I'm think I'm just gonna get Logic...AGAIN

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Thank you for the response! I know how to do it with Pro Tools, but I no longer have it.

I'm think I'm just gonna get Logic...AGAIN

Breh get Logic, 199 ain't shyt for audio software

I just swiped it with the CC :smugfavre:

EDIT: Also there is still information on how to MIDI the MPC with Reason in that video to be had.

Basically you run a MIDI out from your MPC, say MIDI out A, run that cable to a MIDI Input on your computer interface.

On the MPC you'll notice you can change the tracks between Program and MIDI. The Program tracks are for samples in the MPC, and probably how you use it currently. If you set the track as a MIDI track you'll notice you have 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A, 7A, 8A, 9A, 10A, 11A, 12A, 13A, 14A, 15A, and 16A. This will repeat for each MIDI out. Look at these as 16 separate tracks for instruments in Reason. Pick any one of these channels on a MIDI track on your MPC, it can be in a new sequence or an existing one.

Then in Reason you go to preferences>advanced midi I believe, unless they've changed it. You'll see: Bus A, Bus B, Bus C, and Bus D.

04%20MIDI.jpg

Under Bus A click the drop down and select the MIDI input from your interface. At the bottom where it shows MIDI clock choose the same input in that drop down.

On the MPC go to Mode>MIDI/Sync and choose MIDI Clock Out on Port A. This will make reason follow the MPC's tempo. Which doesn't really matter unless your doing a Dr. Rex type thing thats loop based, or using an arpeggiator.

Now if you use a MIDI Keyboard you will want to run a MIDI cable from it's MIDI out to an available MIDI IN on your MPC. So you can use this to play the synths etc in Reason.
midisetup-3.gif

Pretend the Motif Module is Reason/Your interface. Also you do not need to run and MIDI cable from the MIDI out of your MPC to your Keyboard unless your keyboard also has sounds you'd like to access i.e. a Fantom, Motif, etc.

Now you can leave preferences in Reason and go to the main screen. Up at the top make sure you can see the top most module, you may have to expand it downward. You will see Bus A Bus B Bus C and Bus D. Make sure you check Bus A. You will see the 16 MIDI channels below it, these line up with the 1A, 2A, 3A, etc you see on the MIDI track on your MPC. So in Reason you'll see a little down arrow next to each of the 16 channels. Click this arrow to assign an instrument you have open in the project to that channel.

Record_09.jpg

See where it says Advanced MIDI device in the bottom left?

Now any note you play on your keyboard or MPC pads, while you have a MIDI track up on your MPC with the correct channel assigned (1A,2A,3A etc.), will trigger the corresponding instrument in Reason. Thus using the MPC as the sequencer while accessing Reason as a sound module.

You can access another 16 sounds by running a second MIDI out from B to a separate MIDI in on your interface if you happen to have one. All the same steps, you just choose B instead of A.

Keep in mind you can still use regular program tracks in the same sequence on your MPC, just go to a different track in the same sequence but choose program. So you could chop your drums on the MPC, go to a new track and add a bass line from Reason.

Hopefully you have a way to monitor your MPC and sound-cards output simultaneously, i.e. a mixer. Also if you already know all of this sorry breh :lawd:

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
Breh get Logic, 199 ain't shyt for audio software

I just swiped it with the CC :smugfavre:

EDIT: Also there is still information on how to MIDI the MPC with Reason in that video to be had.

Basically you run a MIDI out from your MPC, say MIDI out A, run that cable to a MIDI Input on your computer interface.

On the MPC you'll notice you can change the tracks between Program and MIDI. The Program tracks are for samples in the MPC, and probably how you use it currently. If you set the track as a MIDI track you'll notice you have 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A, 7A, 8A, 9A, 10A, 11A, 12A, 13A, 14A, 15A, and 16A. This will repeat for each MIDI out. Look at these as 16 separate tracks for instruments in Reason. Pick any one of these channels on a MIDI track on your MPC, it can be in a new sequence or an existing one.

Then in Reason you go to preferences>advanced midi I believe, unless they've changed it. You'll see: Bus A, Bus B, Bus C, and Bus D.

Under Bus A click the drop down and select the MIDI input from your interface. At the bottom where it shows MIDI clock choose the same input in that drop down.

On the MPC go to Mode>MIDI/Sync and choose MIDI Clock Out on Port A. This will make reason follow the MPC's tempo. Which doesn't really matter unless your doing a Dr. Rex type thing thats loop based, or using an arpeggiator.

Now if you use a MIDI Keyboard you will want to run a MIDI cable from it's MIDI out to an available MIDI IN on your MPC. So you can use this to play the synths etc in Reason.

Now you can leave preferences in Reason and go to the main screen. Up at the top make sure you can see the top most module, you may have to expand it downward. You will see Bus A Bus B Bus C and Bus D. Make sure you check Bus A. You will see the 16 MIDI channels below it, these line up with the 1A, 2A, 3A, etc you see on the MIDI track on your MPC. So in Reason you'll see a little down arrow next to each of the 16 channels. Click this arrow to assign an instrument you have open in the project to that channel.

Now any note you play on your keyboard or MPC pads, while you have a MIDI track up on your MPC with the correct channel assigned (1A,2A,3A etc.), will trigger the corresponding instrument in Reason. Thus using the MPC as the sequencer while accessing Reason as a sound module.

You can access another 16 sounds by running a second MIDI out from B to a separate MIDI in on your interface if you happen to have one. All the same steps, you just choose B instead of A.

Keep in mind you can still use regular program tracks in the same sequence on your MPC, just go to a different track in the same sequence but choose program. So you could chop your drums on the MPC, go to a new track and add a bass line from Reason.

Hopefully you have a way to monitor your MPC and sound-cards output simultaneously, i.e. a mixer. Also if you already know all of this sorry breh :lawd:

:merchant:

Naw I didn't know this. I really appreciate it mayne

I'll +rep you when it recharges

Daps
First tip get the JJOS.

A big difference is the AKAI OS loads a separate file for each sample you chop. So if you load 1 45 second sample. And chop 10 parts out of it, you have the original 45 second sample, plus the total between all the samples you chopped from it.

JJOS works like Logic where if you load a 45 second sample, and make 10 chops, it will actually just reference the original sample for each chop, therefore not using any extra memory except the original 45 seconds for the original sample.

This makes a huge difference, so get the JJOS ASAP. I had the option to get any MPC I wanted and I still use the MPC1000 with JJOS, because of the size and the fact that I can do everything I need with it.

shyts been delegated to being a dam MIDI controller anyway. Also don't believe the hype on getting like an MPC60 or a 3000. The hardware is different so when you sample through them it might be grittier, and the clock crystal wasn't as tight so they have their own swing, but they have such little sample memory and a semi difficult menu system, buying one to be cool I don't suggest.

A 2000XL is a good buy too, but their are RAM limitations their too. Stick with your 1000 and try out the JJOS, if you can't wrap your head around it let me know.

Can you elaborate on the bolded parts my good sir? Preferably in layman's terms :sadbron:

I have the JJOS installed is it me or is there a slight delay in the response time of the machine when using the scroll wheel? Maybe its a ram issue... Good looks B!

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Can you elaborate on the bolded parts my good sir? Preferably in layman's terms :sadbron:

I have the JJOS installed is it me or is there a slight delay in the response time of the machine when using the scroll wheel? Maybe its a ram issue... Good looks B!

Say you have a 30 second sample you want to chop into multiple parts.

You have limited RAM so you can only load so many samples at once, 128MB max RAM will be a few minutes of samples. So sample space can be precious.

When you load the 30 second sample it takes up 30 seconds of your available sample time. We'll say you have 100 seconds max samples at a time for the sake of example.

So you've loaded a 30 second sample, and now have 70 seconds of sample time left. Now say you start chopping this sample into multiple parts. One 2 second part here, one 10 second part there, etc. etc.

In the AKAI OS the extra samples will take up the remaining sample time you have left in addition to the 30 second sample. Meaning if you have a 30 second sample, and make 10 chops that are 2 seconds a piece(20 additional seconds), that will total 50 seconds of sample time being taken up. The chops you make are new files that take up additional memory while the original sample file remains loaded as well taking up memory.

In the JJOS they do a little trick. If you load a 30 second sample and make 10 chops at 2 seconds a piece you still will have only taken up 30 seconds of your available sample time. The JJOS simply refers to markers in the original file where you decided to chop it and plays from the original sample as the source. Essentially saving you tons of memory. Let me know if this helps or just blows your head up.:bryan:

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps

You need to change the data scroll wheel option to 1 or 2. That will fix it.

Daps
Reppin
Trenton, NJ
Say you have a 30 second sample you want to chop into multiple parts.

You have limited RAM so you can only load so many samples at once, 128MB max RAM will be a few minutes of samples. So sample space can be precious.

When you load the 30 second sample it takes up 30 seconds of your available sample time. We'll say you have 100 seconds max samples at a time for the sake of example.

So you've loaded a 30 second sample, and now have 70 seconds of sample time left. Now say you start chopping this sample into multiple parts. One 2 second part here, one 10 second part there, etc. etc.

In the AKAI OS the extra samples will take up the remaining sample time you have left in addition to the 30 second sample. Meaning if you have a 30 second sample, and make 10 chops that are 2 seconds a piece(20 additional seconds), that will total 50 seconds of sample time being taken up. The chops you make are new files that take up additional memory while the original sample file remains loaded as well taking up memory.

In the JJOS they do a little trick. If you load a 30 second sample and make 10 chops at 2 seconds a piece you still will have only taken up 30 seconds of your available sample time. The JJOS simply refers to markers in the original file where you decided to chop it and plays from the original sample as the source. Essentially saving you tons of memory. Let me know if this helps or just blows your head up.:bryan:

I had no idea about this, in fact if i had this I would immediately notice the effects... I got a 2000xl and chopping the samples up fills the ram quickly whereas this jjos shyt is brilliant.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
I had no idea about this, in fact if i had this I would immediately notice the effects... I got a 2000xl and chopping the samples up fills the ram quickly whereas this jjos shyt is brilliant.

The new MPC's Ren/Studio do this as well. NON DESTRUCT CHOPPING :umad:

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
i was miliseconds from copping the maschine, but when I heard the studio would be out in the summer i waited.. :dj2: now im like :wtb: :scusthov: cuz i gotta wait till october.. I NEEED software integration

I'm close to just copping a 5000 and throwing the REN in the bushes until next year. I'm trying to hold out though.

On the MPC-Forums they say SWEETWATER is giving a July 18th date for the STUDIO.