The official MPC Thread

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
Welp, I decided I'm coming back to the MPC family...Looking to get that Renaissance

Pigpenwm

GAWD BEAT TAPE OUT NOW
Daps
Reppin
NULL
XLCD_W2500.jpeg

:deadrose:

:pacspit: @Maschine

Pigpenwm

GAWD BEAT TAPE OUT NOW
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:wow:

Got the same thing. You fukking with JJOS?

this isn't mine. That's the new prototype for a screen mpc-stuff.com is working on. There is also going to be a new JJOS for the screen.

I've been running JJOS1 for years now:childplease:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet but holla at me if any of yall got any questions.

I used to work for AKAI beta testing, writing guides, and doing tech support for artists and end users, I essentially mastered virtually every MPC. :youngsabo:

I live mostly inside Logic now production wise but I can get around the 1000, 2500, 4000, 5000, and 500 with my eyes shut, I literally wrote the guides on them.

If you're really stuck on chopping samples, time stretching, navigation, MIDI, using the MPC as a sequencer and Reason/Logic/ProTools as a sound module.

Syncing the MPC to your DAW for tracking. Let me know, PM me if you're embarassed.

Anyone with a 4000 I can help ya with keygroups and setting up different modulations. THAT machine is the most advanced MPC.

Daps
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet but holla at me if any of yall got any questions.

I used to work for AKAI beta testing, writing guides, and doing tech support for artists and end users, I essentially mastered virtually every MPC. :youngsabo:

I live mostly inside Logic now production wise but I can get around the 1000, 2500, 4000, 5000, and 500 with my eyes shut, I literally wrote the guides on them.

If you're really stuck on chopping samples, time stretching, navigation, MIDI, using the MPC as a sequencer and Reason/Logic/ProTools as a sound module.

Syncing the MPC to your DAW for tracking. Let me know, PM me if you're embarassed.

Anyone with a 4000 I can help ya with keygroups and setting up different modulations. THAT machine is the most advanced MPC.

What advice can you give an MPC 1000 owner? Any tips? Tricks? Sell the joint for a 2000 :shaq:?

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
What advice can you give an MPC 1000 owner? Any tips? Tricks? Sell the joint for a 2000 :shaq:?

First tip get the JJOS.

A big difference is the AKAI OS loads a separate file for each sample you chop. So if you load 1 45 second sample. And chop 10 parts out of it, you have the original 45 second sample, plus the total between all the samples you chopped from it.

JJOS works like Logic where if you load a 45 second sample, and make 10 chops, it will actually just reference the original sample for each chop, therefore not using any extra memory except the original 45 seconds for the original sample.

This makes a huge difference, so get the JJOS ASAP. I had the option to get any MPC I wanted and I still use the MPC1000 with JJOS, because of the size and the fact that I can do everything I need with it.

shyts been delegated to being a dam MIDI controller anyway. Also don't believe the hype on getting like an MPC60 or a 3000. The hardware is different so when you sample through them it might be grittier, and the clock crystal wasn't as tight so they have their own swing, but they have such little sample memory and a semi difficult menu system, buying one to be cool I don't suggest.

A 2000XL is a good buy too, but their are RAM limitations their too. Stick with your 1000 and try out the JJOS, if you can't wrap your head around it let me know.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
using the MPC as a sequencer and Logic

Syncing the MPC to your DAW for tracking. Let me know

This right here breh for a mpc2500 :noah:

And ive been thinking about upgrading to JJOS but, there are no guides on using it. How do you get to know how to fully utilize JJOS with no manual?

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
This right here breh for a mpc2500 :noah:

And ive been thinking about upgrading to JJOS but, there are no guides on using it. How do you get to know how to fully utilize JJOS with no manual?

MPC2500 JJ OS Manual :takedat:

How are you using the MPC exactly. Are you trying to use the MPC as the main sequencer and use Logic like a sound module, ala how you would use an MPC with say a Motif keyboard?

Or do you most of your programming and sampling right on the MPC and just want to track everything out into Logic?

Here is how to sync them for tracking.

Logic Pro 8:
Before you begin:
It's helpful to insert the Sync icon into the transport menu at the bottom of Logic first by control-clicking the bottom transport bar area and choosing "Customize Transport Bar."
Enable the check box titled "Sync" and then choose "OK."
Tip: Accessing Synchronization Settings with the Sync Button:
Control-click the Transport bar Sync button to open a shortcut menu, where the following options are available:
Setting the type of external synchronization
Enabling / Disabling MMC for the Transport buttons of Logic Pro
Direct access to the Synchronization settings
Direct access to the tempo editors
To open the Synchronization project settings, do one of the following:
Choose File > Project Settings > Synchronization.
Press "OPTION + Y" - the default Key Command to open Synchronization Settings.
Click the Settings button in the Arrange Toolbar and choose Synchronization.
Control-click the Sync button in the Transport bar and choose Synchronization Settings.

Logic Pro 8 as Master, MPC5000 / MPC2500 as Slave

Connect a MIDI cable from an available MIDI OUT of your MIDI interface to an available MIDI IN on your MPC.
Using MIDI Time Code (MTC) & MIDI Machine Control (MMC):

On the MPC5000 / MPC2500:
Go to the MIDI/Sync menu.
Set "Sync In" to the corresponding MIDI input port on the MPC.
Set "Mode" to "MIDI Time Code."
Set "Receive MMC" to "ON."
Set the Tempo of the MPC sequence to match that of your Logic session.
In Logic:
Open the Logic Synchronization Settings.
Click the MIDI tab.
Enable "Transmit MTC" under the MIDI Time Code (MTC) section.
Keep "All" selected in the drop-down menu or choose a specific MIDI port if necessary.
Enable "Transmit MMC" (optional – may be helpful if triggering more MIDI hardware than the MPC5000).
Using MIDI Beat Clock & MMC:

Set "Mode" to "MIDI Clock."
In Logic:
Click the MIDI tab.
Enable "Transmit MIDI Clock: Destination 1" under MIDI Clock section.
Select "All" in drop-down for Destination 1 or choose a specific MIDI port if necessary.
Enable "Transmit MMC."
Press Play on Logic. MPC will now play in-sync with Logic.
Logic Pro 8 as Master, MPC1000 / MPC500 as Slave

Connect a MIDI cable from an available MIDI OUT of your MIDI interface to an available MIDI IN on your MPC.

On the MPC500:
Press Mode + PAD 7.
Turn the data wheel to display "Sync."
Press DOWN cursor.
Use the data wheel to change the sync mode to "Slave."
On the MPC1000:
Go to the MIDI/Sync Menu:
Press Mode + PAD 9.
Sync [F2].
Sync In: 1 or 2 (whichever MIDI input you plugged your MIDI cable into).
Sync Out: Off.
In Logic:
Click the MIDI tab.
Enable "Transmit MIDI Clock: Destination 1" under the MIDI Clock section.
Select "All" in drop-down for Destination 1 or choose a specific MIDI port if necessary.
Enable "Transmit MMC."
Press Play on Logic. MPC will now play in sync with Logic.

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC

:ohhh:

Aight I have an MPC2000XL and Reason 5. I make my beats in Reason on a MacBook (I think its an 08 model) but I don't use the MPC because I don't know how to MIDI em up.

Oh yeah I have an MBOX 2 as well

I've plugged everything up before but I'm doing something wrong

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
:ohhh:

Aight I have an MPC2000XL and Reason 5. I make my beats in Reason on a MacBook (I think its an 08 model) but I don't use the MPC because I don't know how to MIDI em up.

Oh yeah I have an MBOX 2 as well

I've plugged everything up before but I'm doing something wrong

Are you trying to use the MPC just kinda like a MIDI controller for the pads and still use Reasons sequencer? Or would you rather use the MPC as a sequencer and Reason as a sound module?

Also how familiar are you with MIDI. Do you already understand each MIDI out has 16 channels and how note on note off messages work?

This guy explains how to use the MPC as a sequencer and Reason as a sound module, all while rewiring through ProTools so everything is synced when you need to track everything out. Its much easier to copy what you see visually than for me to type step by step instructions. Let me know if this confuses you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptUcvThXYec"]Tracking out Reason 4 as sound module & MPC as sequencer to Pro Tools Tutorial. Part 1 of 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
MPC2500 JJ OS Manual :takedat:

How are you using the MPC exactly. Are you trying to use the MPC as the main sequencer and use Logic like a sound module, ala how you would use an MPC with say a Motif keyboard?

Or do you most of your programming and sampling right on the MPC and just want to track everything out into Logic?

Here is how to sync them for tracking.

Logic Pro 8:
Before you begin:
It's helpful to insert the Sync icon into the transport menu at the bottom of Logic first by control-clicking the bottom transport bar area and choosing "Customize Transport Bar."
Enable the check box titled "Sync" and then choose "OK."
Tip: Accessing Synchronization Settings with the Sync Button:
Control-click the Transport bar Sync button to open a shortcut menu, where the following options are available:
Setting the type of external synchronization
Enabling / Disabling MMC for the Transport buttons of Logic Pro
Direct access to the Synchronization settings
Direct access to the tempo editors
To open the Synchronization project settings, do one of the following:
Choose File > Project Settings > Synchronization.
Press "OPTION + Y" - the default Key Command to open Synchronization Settings.
Click the Settings button in the Arrange Toolbar and choose Synchronization.
Control-click the Sync button in the Transport bar and choose Synchronization Settings.

Logic Pro 8 as Master, MPC5000 / MPC2500 as Slave

Using MIDI Time Code (MTC) & MIDI Machine Control (MMC):

Set "Mode" to "MIDI Time Code."
Set the Tempo of the MPC sequence to match that of your Logic session.
In Logic:
Click the MIDI tab.
Enable "Transmit MTC" under the MIDI Time Code (MTC) section.
Keep "All" selected in the drop-down menu or choose a specific MIDI port if necessary.
Enable "Transmit MMC" (optional – may be helpful if triggering more MIDI hardware than the MPC5000).

Set "Mode" to "MIDI Clock."
In Logic:
Click the MIDI tab.
Enable "Transmit MIDI Clock: Destination 1" under MIDI Clock section.
Enable "Transmit MMC."
Press Play on Logic. MPC will now play in-sync with Logic.
Logic Pro 8 as Master, MPC1000 / MPC500 as Slave

On the MPC500:
Press Mode + PAD 7.
Turn the data wheel to display "Sync."
Press DOWN cursor.
Use the data wheel to change the sync mode to "Slave."
On the MPC1000:
Go to the MIDI/Sync Menu:
Press Mode + PAD 9.
Sync [F2].
Sync In: 1 or 2 (whichever MIDI input you plugged your MIDI cable into).
Sync Out: Off.
In Logic:
Click the MIDI tab.
Enable "Transmit MIDI Clock: Destination 1" under the MIDI Clock section.
Enable "Transmit MMC."
Press Play on Logic. MPC will now play in sync with Logic.

:wow:

What version of JJOS do you suggest I cop. Is the free one good enough to eat off of?