The official MPC Thread

Daps
Attention fellow MPC veterans/bretheren...

What advice can you give someone who is drum programming and rhythm ignorant on the MPC?

*Finds Ill Sample*
*Programs coherent yet still choppy/passable loop*
*can't program drums to sound remotely ill :noah:*

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Attention fellow MPC veterans/bretheren...

What advice can you give someone who is drum programming and rhythm ignorant on the MPC?

*Finds Ill Sample*
*Programs coherent yet still choppy/passable loop*
*can't program drums to sound remotely ill :noah:*

Remake a track from early Mobb Deep/Rza record. Choop and loop that shyt the same way and try to remake it all on the MPC.

That should improve your timing.

Daps
everyone should peep this video :smugdraper:

does anyone have an understanding of what he means/the science behind filters?

"...that's hot but theres no bass. so what did i do? i filtered it out, and we would add that filtered bass to the original." - marley :mindblown:

[using mpc 1000]

Last edited by a moderator:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps

does anyone have an understanding of what he means/the science behind filters?

"...that's hot but theres no bass. so what did i do? i filtered it out, and we would add that filtered bass to the original." - marley :mindblown:

[using mpc 1000]

You use a low pass filter on the sample to do a sharp cutoff of all the frequencies except those in the lower spectrum of the sample, essentially dropping everything but the low end and bass out, this doesn't always work well but a lot of 90's stuff on the MPC is made this way for the bass line.

So have one program with the original sample on one track of your mpc, then make a duplicate program of the same samples in and use the low pass filter, now you'll have a sort of bass only version of the samples your are using which you can record behind the original sample to give it more uummpff . This can get tricky though. It's easy to make a beat muddy by doing this wrong and you may have to run a high pass filter on the original sample so the low frequencies don't fight each other.

Just research high pass and low pass filtering.

This guy does it in Reason, doesn't really show you much but if you listen with speaker you can here the filtered version he layered.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qArfWFTqf4"]3rd Degree-Lowend Theory Basslines (Low Pass Bass) - YouTube[/ame]

Daps
When ya record a sample on the MPC is it best to record the sample into the machine through stereo? mono R? or mono L?

[I'm assuming that stereo will give the sound(s) a richer sound? While recording in mono L/R will help you isolate different sounds coming thru the channel?]

:dwillhuh:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
old video of chuck strangers (joey baddass producer) using mpc2000xl

[ame]http://youtu.be/ixkI0Lv4eec[/ame]

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
I think i might cop me an MPC.
For someone who wants to do shyt like Madlib and dilla, mainly Madlb, what should i get thats not over 1,000 bucks?

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
I think i might cop me an MPC.
For someone who wants to do shyt like Madlib and dilla, mainly Madlb, what should i get thats not over 1,000 bucks?

any mpc is good for that, them two would sample a lot, i know madlib uses the sp1200 and some other stuff,i think the bigger older mpc's are made with metal so it gives them a particular sound