The time TED banned a talk about the fact rich people don't create jobs

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
apple just annoucned they were investing 350 billion and creating over 20,000 jobs over the next 5 years because of tax cuts :what:

Apple unveils plan to repatriate billions in overseas cash, says it will contribute $350 billion to the economy

what do you say to that, genius?:what:

So Apple is proud to announce that they will stop defacto tax evasion now that they can contribute some pennies to the $1.5 Trillion dollar hole that they put us in by demanding such a rate.

Oh and most of that money is going to executives of course.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
it's the businesses providing the goods and services that creates consumer demand :what:

there was demand for the new iPhone but steve jobs had to invent it and start apple first:what:

When you start a business, do you create a random product and try to find customers for it, or do you try to fulfill a demand that's unmet?

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
When you start a business, do you create a random product and try to find customers for it, or do you try to fulfill a demand that's unmet?

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

- Henry Ford

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
:jbhmm:"Hmm... I don't need more employees right now. I'll hire some people anyway to do work that doesn't even exist. I'm a good guy like that. Well, hope the customers suddenly want a lot more products, or else this pointless hiring spree is going to cost me."

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

- Henry Ford
"You wanted to give more of your profits to your employees, so we sued you to make you give that money to the shareholders."
-The Dodge Brothers

Dodge v. Ford Motor Co. - Wikipedia.

"And we won, too, you charitable fukk!"
-The Dodge Brothers

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
if “consumer demand” is responsible for every great leap in innovation and technology... then tell me @Bollywood Hulk Hogan how much credit are you willing to take personally for the creation of the iPhone?:leostare:

Do we owe this landmark turning point in technology and communication to Steve Jobs or should we be thanking @Call Me James and @MaliktheRapper for having the desire to purchase something that hadn’t been invented yet?:leostare:

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
if “consumer demand” is responsible for every great leap in innovation and technology... then tell me @Bollywood Hulk Hogan how much credit are you willing to take personally for the creation of the iPhone?:leostare:

Do we owe this landmark turning point in technology and communication to Steve Jobs or should we be thanking @Call Me James and @MaliktheRapper for having the desire to purchase something that hadn’t been invented yet?:leostare:

You're using an extreme example to obfuscate the point.

When you have a revolutionary product there is going to naturally be demand behind it. But how many revolutionary products come out every year? You can't keep an economy running based only on this type of groundbreaking business.

The iPhone is going to sell regardless, but is Apple creating jobs to the point where there is zero unemployment? No.

And that still doesn't reject the premise that Steve Jobs was anticipating consumer demand rather than creating a product he knew no one would want

"Steve Jobs: 'Some people say, ‘Give customers what they want.’ But that’s not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they’re going to want before they do.'"

Steve Jobs went progressively past current demand to forecast the market in the future. Very few business owners and innovators are capable of this so there must be corrective economic measures in place.

If Steve Jobs had made a rock with an Apple logo on it do you think that he would have reached the heights that he did? No, because there isn't the same demand generation from that as there was a product with usefulness.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
You're using an extreme example to obfuscate the point.

When you have a revolutionary product there is going to naturally be demand behind it. But how many revolutionary products come out every year? You can't keep an economy running based only on this type of groundbreaking business.

The iPhone is going to sell regardless, but is Apple creating jobs to the point where there is zero unemployment? No.

And that still doesn't reject the premise that Steve Jobs was anticipating consumer demand rather than creating a product he knew no one would want

"Steve Jobs: 'Some people say, ‘Give customers what they want.’ But that’s not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they’re going to want before they do.'"

Steve Jobs went progressively past current demand to forecast the market in the future. Very few business owners and innovators are capable of this so there must be corrective economic measures in place.

what measures do you suggest?

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
what measures do you suggest?

A minimum wage that actually accounts for inflation.

Reduction of tax loopholing and offshoring by U.S. companies.

Anti-trust litigation

Improved regulations for industry specific differences (ex. eliminating price insulation for big pharma through patent flipping and barring international drug purchasing)

Single payer healthcare (emphasizes preventative care which saves costs long term)