Theory On Why NY Rap Is Stagnant (Not Hate)

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
The trendsetters, tastemakers and influencers in NY aren't being ran by black people. Ebro, Rosenberg, that Latina chick who undeservingly got a a thread in TLR. Look how Def Jam's been gutted. No major hip-hop labels in NY. The Breakfast Club does not break records just have interviews and host parties. NY you all gotta get black people back in power of hip-hop as far as who says who's hot, who drops, who sell out in stores. Latino people are alright but they don't know hip-hop and rap like we do.

NY and East Coast folks, give us insight, please.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Your theory is dumber than the black emigration theory.
That was insightful and thought-provoking. How you so eloquently explained why and how my theory was disproved was delightful. I learned so much. :jbhmm:

Max Goonberg

Superstar
Daps
i swear yall care more than ny nikkas do

when i hear stagnant i think more houston florida the bay.they dont have anybody really making moves at all outside of one or 2 staple artist.

ny aint what it was in the 90s but its 50 states and alot of citys who still dont have one nationally recognized artist or rap scene to speak of.

but its never a bad time for some ny dikklickin so carry on :coffee:

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
i swear yall care more than ny nikkas do

when i hear stagnant i think more houston florida the bay.they dont have anybody really making moves at all outside of one or 2 staple artist.

ny aint what it was in the 90s but its 50 states and alot of citys who still dont have one nationally recognized artist or rap scene to speak of.

but its never a bad time for some ny dikklickin so carry on :coffee:
I love NY rap and grew up listening to East Coast more than south and I'm from Miami. I just started really liking southern music. I guess because I drink now. Lol. It's not shade. It was Ruff Ryders, Roc-A-Fella, Murder Inc, Bad Boy, Def Jam, etc. it was blacks calling the shots and I believe since they aren't calling the shots, it may have fukked shyt up. I liked NY on top. Cash Money still popping because Baby still making the decisions and stay hip. Diddy is himself and enjoying life but he of all NY people has the clout to really make NY hot. However, his ear for talent and stardom has been as effective as a crackhead in a weightlifting contest. Bit that from The Brothers.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
NY is stagnant for a variety of reasons imo, but the main ones off the top of my head:

1. The absence of great NY producers

Think about how many dope young producers have blown up in ATL and Cali. There are no NY equivalents right now.

2. 90s fetishism

Remember back in the early 00s when a lot of rap coming out of LA/Cali sounded like weak Chronic 2001 b-sides? That's how NY has been for more than a decade but instead of aping Chronic 2001 they're still aping Premo and Just Blaze/Kanye/Heatmakerz. And the rappers seem obsessed with rehashing punchlines and concepts that were mastered 20 years ago.

3. Inability to make club bangers or hits

The 90s staple for radio play was basically a popular pop/r&b sample with a singer on the hook. That shyt been outdated for ages yet NY rappers still trying to do that shyt. And they can't make music that gets people dancing.

Now 808s/trap have taken over to the point NY has to evolve with the times...and they can't do it. Notice how the west coast has managed to take trap and make it sound true to their region...

NY hasn't figured out how to do that. Doesn't seem hard to me - adding soul samples or breakbeats to trap could work but is anyone trying?

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NY is stagnant for a variety of reasons imo, but the main ones off the top of my head:

Think about how many dope young producers have blown up in ATL and Cali. There are no NY equivalents right now.

2. 90s fetishism

Remember back in the early 00s when a lot of rap coming out of LA/Cali sounded like weak Chronic 2001 b-sides? That's how NY has been for more than a decade but instead of aping Chronic 2001 they're still aping Premo and Just Blaze/Kanye/Heatmakerz. And the rappers seem obsessed with rehashing punchlines and concepts that were mastered 20 years ago.

The 90s staple for radio play was basically a popular pop/r&b sample with a singer on the hook. That shyt been outdated for ages yet NY rappers still trying to do that shyt. And they can't make music that gets people dancing.

Now 808s/trap have taken over to the point NY has to evolve with the times...and they can't do it. Notice how the west coast has managed to take trap and make it sound true to their region...

NY hasn't figured out how to do that. Doesn't seem hard to me - adding soul samples or breakbeats to trap could work but is anyone trying?

Great post.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
some new york rap of today

just accept that the music has changed and will never be the same, trust me you will feel better, let that sink into your head, not many things stay the same, time is moving, life is changing

80's rap sound diffrent to 90s rap, 90s rap sound different to 2000s rap

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps

2. 90s fetishism

You're talking about style and talent. NY has that and Bobby Schmurda is a testament. However, he was grassroots and blew up off YouTube. New York music power brokers didn't make that call. I think NY is like Miami where now they don't put any new local rappers on radio consistently during peak hours or on any big platforms. I may be hugely wrong. Let me know. With all those big rap labels back then they stayed hip to who got next. It had nothing to do with music changing. They made sure the cats they believed like Ruff Ryders for DMX and Ja Rule for M-Inc got a fair shake. The upcoming rappers in New York doesn't seem to have that now. Miami never truly had that. Atlanta has TI, OutKast or whoever that are actively looking for who's hot in their city. Drake doing it with Toronto now. That's how I look at it.