Theory On Why NY Rap Is Stagnant (Not Hate)

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
some new york rap of today

just accept that the music has changed and will never be the same, trust me you will feel better, let that sink into your head, not many things stay the same, time is moving, life is changing

80's rap sound diffrent to 90s rap, 90s rap sound different to 2000s rap

Bottom right of the screenshot looks like a herb with the bandana. But you never know.

Raheem95

All Star
Daps
You're talking about style and talent. NY has that and Bobby Schmurda is a testament. However, he was grassroots and blew up off YouTube. New York music power brokers didn't make that call. I think NY is like Miami where now they don't put any new local rappers on radio consistently during peak hours or on any big platforms. I may be hugely wrong. Let me know. With all those big rap labels back then they stayed hip to who got next. It had nothing to do with music changing. They made sure the cats they believed like Ruff Ryders for DMX and Ja Rule for M-Inc got a fair shake. The upcoming rappers in New York doesn't seem to have that now. Miami never truly had that. Atlanta has TI, OutKast or whoever that are actively looking for who's hot in their city. Drake doing it with Toronto now. That's how I look at it.

Jada and Styles P are mentors to Nino Man and Nino Man gets play on Hot 97 :yeshrug::yeshrug:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The main problem with NY is a lack of a cohesive identity and trying to cling to hot southern trends. And when they do stay true to themselves, they're to the point of outdated imitations that lack the soul and originality of their inspirations (Joey bada$$, though I like his music, is handicapped by this)

NYC rap can learn a thing or two from how the West got itself back in shape after a decade+ of mainstream irrelevance outside of its biggest stars. Still being distinctly NY while actually being hot and fitting in modern times.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Jada and Styles P are mentors to Nino Man and Nino Man gets play on Hot 97 :yeshrug::yeshrug:
Do Jada and Styles P have pull to have them played elsewhere? That's what I mean. The power brokers are nonexistent like back then. I'm sure Dame, Irv, Jay, Liles, etc could call have them on Atlanta radio back then. The people who can make those calls aren't black in NY. At least from what I know.

Raheem95

All Star
Daps
Do Jada and Styles P have pull to have them played elsewhere? That's what I mean. The power brokers are nonexistent like back then. I'm sure Dame, Irv, Jay, Liles, etc could call have them on Atlanta radio back then. The people who can make those calls aren't black in NY. At least from what I know.

nah but breh since hot 97 and power 105 got iheartradio apps and shyt, that allows people from all over to listen. they was doing shout outs to people in Texas today on power 105

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The main problem with NY is a lack of a cohesive identity and trying to cling to hot southern trends. And when they do stay true to themselves, they're to the point of outdated imitations that lack the soul and originality of their inspirations (Joey bada$$, though I like his music, is handicapped by this)

NYC rap can learn a thing or two from how the West got itself back in shape after a decade+ of mainstream irrelevance outside of its biggest stars. Still being distinctly NY while actually being hot and fitting in modern times.
This...

I came in to say just this. NY just hasn't figured out how to produce a style that is original to them whilst keeping the music pushing forward

I wouldn't have a clue in my head what NY in 2016 is like. I have ideas of what the west and south are like though, regardless of whether they're correct or not, that's not the point

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
That being said, there are some guys who are staying with the times while still being NYC as hell, like eXquire, Underachievers, Flatbush Zombies. They just need more local support, but of course a lotta dusty old heads ain't interested in that:stopitslime:

Raheem95

All Star
Daps
That being said, there are some guys who are staying with the times while still being NYC as hell, like eXquire, Underachievers, Flatbush Zombies. They just need more local support, but of course a lotta dusty old heads ain't interested in that:stopitslime:

also you got nikkas like Troy Ave who think they weirdos because don't rap about gangsta shyt

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Even being from the south even though Miami is very different, the music isnt great. It just gets played so much, you eventually like it. I did not like RHQ's Flex but it got played so much now I really like it. New York isn't getting that break. The closet thing to NY essence in the mainstream is JCole who happens to be from the south (irony) last few hits especially Role Modelz aren't what's considered popular trap, strip club music. You don't dance to his records, you recite and vibe to 'em. Know why it's a hit? Because Roc Nation is getting it constant play and now we fukks with it heavy.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
NY rap ain't in as bad a state as people make it seem though we got young/current gen stars (Nicki, Rocky, French) and veterans (Fabolous, Nas, Jadakiss) doing their thing, our own local hits (Lobby by 821, Milly Rock by 2Milly, Hot Nikka/Computers by Bobby and Rowdy, All About The Money by Troy Ave/Manolo Rose, Off The Rip by French Montana, Chinx, N.O.R.E.), collectives (A$AP Mob, Pro Era), independent/underground dudes like Joey, Smoke DZA and Troy Ave who don't make bad music, etc. Action Bronson and Meyhem Lauren making music and have a TV show, Mobb Deep tour worldwide year round, Jay-Z name hold as much weight as anyone. You got guys like Roc Marciano, Mack Wilds doing hip hop themed R&B, up and comers like Dave East. Producers like Vynilz, Velous, and Harry Fraud. Jahlil Beats and AraabMuzik aren't from NYC but they have a modern NY sound with samples and 808's. They been go to for NYC acts like Lloyd Banks, Fabolous, and GS9.

I agree about our fakkit ass DJ's. Taxstone should have Ebro's job we have all these out of town fakkets running shyt now. It's not about lacking blacks just look at Stretch & Bobbito in the 90's...

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
also you got nikkas like Troy Ave who think they weirdos because don't rap about gangsta shyt
Yeah...on one end you have the guys who still think it's the late 90s/early 00s and don't want to see young nikkas shine, and then other hand you have the Maino and Jim Jones type of clowns who just want to ride the coattails of whatever's hot.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
i swear yall care more than ny nikkas do

when i hear stagnant i think more houston florida the bay.

Don't even take it there, we bout to have everyone from SJ to Sac mobbin in this thread posting reckless shyt like this.:ufdup:

Anyways, NYC was set back by the loss of both Stack Bundles and Max B. They left a huge gap, and virtually every act that has followed them have been on the trendy, blog rap tip. French was basically the last remnant of the Max B Era, ASAP took their damn style from the south, Bobby Shmurda got locked up as soon as he started blowing, ProEra, Troy Ave, etc. The list goes on and on, the scene has been decent, but they don't have their single 'star' yet.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
NY rap ain't in as bad a state as people make it seem though we got young/current gen stars (Nicki, Rocky, French) and veterans (Fabolous, Nas, Jadakiss) doing their thing, our own local hits (Lobby by 821, Milly Rock by 2Milly, Hot Nikka/Computers by Bobby and Rowdy, All About The Money by Troy Ave/Manolo Rose), collectives (A$AP Mob, Pro Era), independent/underground dudes like Joey, Smoke DZA and Troy Ave who don't make bad music, etc. Action Bronson and Meyhem Lauren making music and have a TV show, Mobb Deep tour worldwide year round, Jay-Z name hold as much weight as anyone. You got guys like Roc Marciano, Mack Wilds doing hip hop themed R&B, up and comers like Dave East. Producers like Vynilz and Harry Fraud. Jahlil Beats and AraabMuzik aren't from NYC but they have a modern NY sound with samples and 808's. They been go to for NYC acts like Lloyd Banks, Fabolous, and GS9.

I agree about our fakkit ass DJ's. Taxstone should have Ebro's job we have all these out of town fakkets running shyt now. It's not about lacking blacks just look at Stretch & Bobbito in the 90's...
This is what I mean. No lack of talent or product just anyone that can and would the push buttons aren't there or in power to do so.