To The Victor Go The Spurs - The Official 2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Playoff P driving the price tag back up.

When TNT is covering Spurs playoff games next year :wow:

He my darkhorse free agent. Slide him a 4 for 160 to 170. Hit or miss in the playoffs but he would go a LONG WAY in helping a lot of our guards and wings develop. By sitting on the bench and watching him play until they were all gone :camby:

• Dap
Reactions: VBM

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
One of my favorite Spurs. Still remember being hyped when we drafted him. Hated to see him go but it was necessary at the time. He's the one I want back, no Diddy.

Malik Rose
Boban
Gary Neal
Johnathan Simmons
White

Ate Spurs over the years that I hated seeing depart

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
Malik Rose
Boban
Gary Neal
Johnathan Simmons
White

Ate Spurs over the years that I hated seeing depart
Outside of Derrick and Malik, typical ball out with the Spurs and get a better deal from an opposing franchise guys.

Simmons is a success story. Hopefully he saved his money.

Malik was cool as hell. My cousin used to cut his hair and he had us over for a pool party.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

In an article from The Athletic, Popovich discusses how much the Dallas center was special in his time in San Antonio as well as just how great a player he is.

I felt like an idiot (when we didn’t re-sign him after his rookie season). Sometimes, you do things because you know it’s right for the person. If you can do something that’s good for the team and the person, that’s great. But he was, we brought him over here so he felt that loyalty and everything. But we sort of had to explain to him that that loyalty only goes so far. You’ve got to take care of your family, and people make decisions to take care of their families.
The offer he was getting was something that we couldn’t match, and I would have felt forever guilty if I would have convinced him to stay and give up all that money. In the end, I just had to say, “No, you’re going. You’re gonna go. You have a family. You have to do it.” And he begrudgingly went.
He’s also intelligent. It’s not like he’s a dumb guy; this guy’s smart as hell. But his agent had to talk to him, and I had to talk to him. I can’t remember at this point if I had anybody else talk to him, but he got it pretty quickly and understood that this was the logical move for him. We told him, we’ll always be there for you, anything you need and I’m sure the Mavs feel the same way about him. He’s been great.