To those who watched Fresh Prince when it was on air....

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I rememeber the initial run, (I'm 46)Fresh Prince followed the Cosby show initially, but once that ended that Fresh Prince then was followed by Blossom IIRC, but it was among the biggest shows on TV and something that we had to watch when it came on. It also was one of the Black shows that was popular with White people but maybe somewhere around Family Matters level

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
It's sucks that the reruns are not in HD. Yeah, I'm fully aware that HD wasn't available then. It's still sux though watching those semi-blurry episodes on MTV2

Call me a snob

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Seemed to get more popular once it his syndication. I think new ones were still airing, but they used to rerun it at 3-4 or something. Would watch every day after school

I was 6 when it debuted in 1990 and 12 when it went off the air. I was young but I remember it being popular with teens and that's it. It didn't really get they crossover appeal until it went into syndication when teens were adults and kids became teens. It never made top 10 sitcom ratings.

It was aired on upn or wb I think

:mjlol:

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
It was definitely in the rotation of must watch shows for folks my age(middle school to high school)

But it wasn't the talk of the town like Fox Thursday Nights. Martin, Living Single, & New York Undercover was the cipher.

Plus Fox had the juice from In Living Color to Married With Children, to bringing the NFL back and showing Cowboys & 49'er games like every week.

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest
It came on Mondays before Blossom, which I didn't watch unless I wanted to see her friends big ass... It was great. Funny show that had some decent values. Will always had fresh Jordan's on, and Ashley was super cute.
:russ:I'm cracking up at the Six reference. I don't remember why that girl's name was Six though

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It was big for us as kids. Obviously our view was limited as fukk. I found out the show was on the bubble and almost cancelled a couple times, which is something I wouldn’t have fathomed as a kid. It’s cultural imprint now is based on those of us who love it keeping it in the ether and will becoming will and it was in reruns while it was airing too. Reruns were a big deal back then.

it aired on nbc and the reruns were on Fox as part of their afternoon lineup. Used to air right before the Simpsons reruns or right after saved by the bell reruns. Once I got into wrestling tho, it was harder for me to keep up with the show cause it aired during nitro.
But to the point @hex made, we didn’t think in terms of “buzz” or “memes” or shyt like that. If we liked the show we liked the show and it’s a good bet most of our family and friends liked it. We could stay in that bubble cause we weren’t all connected like we are now. Nor was anyone worried about shyt only suits and execs should worry about for real. But we also didn’t have the access to find out that kinda thing

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
'93 Jenna Von Oy :wow:

In my pre teen eyes tho:sitdown:

1YmnIR2g.jpg

Fred.

BEN23

All Star
Daps
It was definitely in the rotation of must watch shows for folks my age(middle school to high school)

But it wasn't the talk of the town like Fox Thursday Nights. Martin, Living Single, & New York Undercover was the cipher.

Plus Fox had the juice from In Living Color to Married With Children, to bringing the NFL back and showing Cowboys & 49'er games like every week.

this right here.. i watched fresh prince, it was cool, but fox Thursday night was a must see.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There were a few shows that hit like that this decade

Breaking Bad
GoT
Atlanta
Stranger Things
House of Cards
Power
Empire

I don’t fukk with Empire but I ain’t gon deny that it had/has a huge following.

Intriguingly, HBO only had 1 show that really landed. Netflix had 2, arguably 3 if you include Daredevil.

10 years from now people talk about only Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Stranger things.

I watch Power, but it won’t be on that tier. From what I heard, Empire and House of Cards fell off. The latter will only be mentioned due to the Spacey fiasco

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Fresh Prince then MNF afterwards was fukking huge back in the day. i watched fresh prince every single monday it came on.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Two things I want to point out.

1. I didn’t even know what the hell Blossom was til this thread lmao

2. the first episode of Fresh prince I never watched was in the 2nd grade. Fresh Prince had been off air for a year by now. It was a weeknight and my family had gone to a party so I stayed at my neighbors and my friends had fell asleep on the couch as their mom and I watched this show. It seems like she knew it. The irony is the first episode I ever watched was the pilot episode. I always remember her laughing at Ashley saying “Thank you God for this stupid food”

damn does Time fly
:mjcry: