To those who watched Fresh Prince when it was on air....

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
It was pretty big. I can’t say I caught it all the time when they first aired but I do remember, like other posters mentioned, that NBC Monday night line up with Fresh Prince, then Blossom.

if I wasn’t watching it, I probably flipped thru it a couple of times during their spot...

Daps
Reppin
T Dot
it wasnt as big as friends/seinfeld but it was still big.... more of a kids show

Stop lying man. Seinfeld wasn't big till much much later seasons. The first 3 seasons of Seinfeld most ppl didn't watch. Wasn't till later it become a cult fav and then a pop tv show hit.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Stop lying man. Seinfeld wasn't big till much much later seasons. The first 3 seasons of Seinfeld most ppl didn't watch. Wasn't till later it become a cult fav and then a pop tv show hit.

So what? Fresh prince was still seen as a kids/ family show.

It didn’t really compete with the adult shows on.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
fresh prince has gotten bigger in syndication, but i dont know where yall grew up where this wasn't big/must-see black TV. it was cosby/different world, then we segued into this, in living color, and martin (living single and NY undercover - fox thursdays) as the next wave of big black shows. those were shows everyone in my family watched, not just me and my bros. after martin went off, that's when we got more black sitcoms that seemed to appeal less to people my parent's age (baby boomers) and when we got more gen x/older millennial targeted shows on shyt like UPN - moesha, in the house, wayans bros, jamie foxx show, etc
it wasnt as big as friends/seinfeld but it was still big.... more of a kids show
what black shows ever are? cosby show was the only black sitcom that seemed to have big crossover appeal (or at least notoriety) to non black viewers. white sitcoms by proxy of their population are always going to be bigger

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I don’t find Blackish to be a widely known show nor making a cultural impact.

Not that it’s a bad show (although I stopped watching right before the baby arrived) but it’s not a show I feel made an impact on society and I’ve never heard anybody talk about it.

I believe the shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones have made a big impact. Last sitcom I’m guessing that was big was Friends. Dont think Modern Family even hot that status. Nobody talks about Brooklyn Nine Nine or those CSI, Hawaii 5-0 shows. It’s probably a handful of shows that can coincide in the current social media climate

hence, why I made this thread to see how much of an impact and how widely know this show was.

With social media out these days, I believe lots of people are distracted with that than to watch shows. My personal opinion.
you're not making an apples to apples comparison. mid/late 80's - very early 00's was the pinnacle of black entertainment - all forms: radio, magazines, tv, film, music, books, poets, HBCU reelvance. when you ask a question like this, it's not about comparing it to universal/white shows. things were huge within our community. fresh prince, martin, living single, NY undercover those were THE shows to fukk with/know about/discuss in the black community. you can't expect them to have the wide resonance of white shows.

there is no cultural cohesion/segmentation anymore. everyone flocks to "mainstream" shows, which is why you get token diversity. the black shows today have become even more niche, they once appealed to the entire black community, that's not the case anymore. which is why blackish doesn't create the same impact/cohesion as shows i previously named did back in the 80's/90's. edit: plus the fact there is no incentive to watch when it airs, i've seen all episodes of blackish, but it's due to end of season binges

and you're tripping, modern family is (was) huge and definitely reinvigorated the family sitcom - shyt like the goldbergs, blackish, etc wouldn't exist had it not been for the wild success of modern fam.

Last edited:

hazardous

All Star
Daps
Been meaning to watch this whole show in full.

What was the best season(s)?