TSC Evaluation #15: Rey Mysterio Jr

Overall Rating

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Rey was doing some incredible shyt in the 90s before he kept hurting his knees. Rey/Eddie at Halloween Havoc is still an all time classic. Everything about him changed after knee injuries and losing the mask, but once he came into WWE, he had a solid 8 years straight of being a top 2-3 worker in the company. Just an incredible record of high level consistency matched by very few ever in any company. As important and game changing to cruiser/junior style (especially in NA) as Tiger Mask, imo.

I give him a 9 because his promos weren't shyt, but they never needed to be and they really had little to no importance on any of his feuds/matches. Dude was THE MASTER at doing all of his flippy dippies but making you care about them in the context of the match and his character. He was doing shyt 20 years ago that will still make you :ohhh: even in an era where the indies seem to be mostly about how many flips and crazy shyt you can do.

rana.gif
That was his go to wcw pinfall, absolutely loved it. He usually hit it cleanly too.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
His themed song in WCW :wow:

Not gonna do a whole explanation

Rey was the cruiserweight in WCW or You can Say one of the biggest reason why it was so good and watched

Even tho WWE he wasn't as good or as high risk he was still very solid
Loved his match with angle

He is a living legend in Mexico and a big seller wherever he goes

His promo wasn't anything to talk about but his personality and ring work just meshed well

I can't rate him under 9 simple as that and I want 10s exclusively for Goat people too me imo and in a sense he is one of the goat for his weight class if not goat cruiserweight

Would give him a 9.5 but he gets a 10/10 cuz to me he is the goat cruiserweight and a trendsetter trailblazer for a lot of people
Without him being a goat cruiserweight to me he be 9.5 but due to him being goat cruiserweight imo easily 10 my fav growing up watching

If he kept his WCW style in WWE he be a serious problem but I also know Vince didn't want that from
Him it was stated

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
He couldn't have kept that style in WWE regardless.

1. He was 40 pounds bigger, after multiple knee surgeries. He physically couldn't do that style anymore.
2. He didn't have the talent to work that style with in WWE, plus the WWE work schedule was so much more hectic. He had under 400 matches in WCW over 4 years, including house shows. In the same period in WWE, he had 500. That schedule plus another 6 years.

PYRRHUS 88

Shredder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Realistic Coop Replica
Only the absolute GOATs are above him, and not by much. That makes him a 9 on my scale. Off impact alone, he's a legend.

Seeing Mysterio for the first time was like the first time seeing Super Mario 64 with the 3D graphics. Just utterly revolutionary, and made everything that came before look like it was from a previous century.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
giphy.gif

lmao yeeeaaahhh bytch it's my legit 2nd most hated wrestler of all time.

I swear one of my favorite times as a WWE fan was watching Del Rio DECIMATE his ass week in and week out. :lawd::salute::lawd::salute:

Funny how one of the things that made me realize just how far off the deep end WWE had gotten was Rey winning that tournament for the belt and a fresh and clean Cena came out and beat him for it.... in the same night.

And one of the most pathetic was that year he made his grand return at the rumble and he CLEARLY wasn't ready.

with that said

-Mic work/promos: 5. But hey, his ring work spoke for him, and his legacy in this sport of ours speaks for him today. And it speaks VOLUMES. That 5 really comes from his Lucha Underground work, though. Right now he's pulling an honest 7 on the mic, so it evens out. I would have given him a 2 otherwise. Only Ken Patera gets a 1.

-Personality/gimmicks: 8. He's a Lucha wrestler. That's his gimmick and he embodies it in damn near every way possible. He literally is what lil luchadors want to be when they grow up.

Too bad by age 8 they're already the same size.

giphy.gif

873553504808362020.gif

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds): 8. I'm not gonna list my favorite feuds, cause really I was always happy to see him get beat the fukk up. But he damn near singlehandedly made cruiserweights and the lucha style mainstream. But we all know Chris Jericho made the cruiserweights known by embarrassing them twice a week, right? Right???? :troll:

-Overall rating (which doesn't have to be an average of the above scores): 9.

Look, man.... they say if you don't have nothing nice to say, then don't say shyt.

Everyone that knows me knows that I only hate his little rata ass just because he's the perennial babyface ambassador of his school of style and the underdog that does pull out the wins.

:scust: I can't stand it.

But I'm ALSO not one of those types to shyt on someone's accomplishments just because I don't like their moral fiber. Rey really is one of those people in wrestling who's legend is built off his skill level and purely that alone. He really did singlehandedly cause somewhat of a paradigm shift in the american view of what wrasslin' could be. And he did that by pure skill at his craft. A school of craft that was very niche in North America before he got here.

And yes, I AM enjoying his run in Lucha Underground at the moment.

But on the real, fukk Rey Mysterio, jr. :stopitslime:

TrillaMonsoon

Fun God
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nation Of Fun
I was debating between 8-9 but think I'm gonna go with a 9 because he's one of the few dudes who I would get caught up in his matches because he was so good and he was able to keep it fun. For Rey to be able to actually give you that sense of disbelief when this little guy is fighting someone bigger than him but everything that happens in that match seems to fit. People already mentioned his classic feuds but just about any time you see a match of his, it's really good. vs. Angle at Summerslam, his Royal Rumble title matches with Edge and Undertaker were really good and get forgotten because you know there isn't going to be a title change. He was a great tag team wrestler and the Kidman/Rey vs. WGTT is one of my favorite tag matches of all time. Rey/Edge vs. Benoit/Angle :banderas:

Rey is one of the dudes I show girls when I introduce them to wrestling. He's gonna get their attention with the flippy shyt, but he does bring the best out of wrestlers in part because he's so light that they can really expand their move set, but also because there is always an easy natural story when he was in the ring. Definitely an all-time great and very important in a lot of peoples career.