Tyler doesn't like culture vultures, blasts Hip Hop Twitter

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tyler is older than me and I remember listening to Tupac via my Uncle and older cousins at 3-4, that resonated with me my whole life, I don’t get his point.
Then he clearly ain’t talking about you then breh. He’s talking about folks who put older music in their top 5 when the music never resonated with them

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Breh I think people are intentionally just not understanding his or my point.

I love alot of stuff before my time, including every artist you named in this post. I also like stuff of my time as well as new stuff. Thats just genuine appreciation of the art across all eras.

Most of these people aren't doing what your son did, which is what I did. They are just lying. This isn't just limited to young people either but it's just even less believable.

The popular consensus is that Illmatic is the GOAT album so people know its a safe choice. If you dig deep enough you'll find these people often have no actual unique opinions or tastes. Ask them what they don't like and its crickets.

Case in point: People love Illmatic, but they don't like Nas. Ask these Rolling Stone/Pitchfork types how they feel about Street's Disciple or Untitled. Or to be more fair to them, how they feel about It Was Written or Stillmatic.

There was an interview from 2011 where Tyler told Nas how much he liked Street's Disciple, specifically the lyricism on it. Nas was shocked because nobody ever brought up Street's Disciple to him. Most people consider it one of Nas' worst albums and would rather pretend it didn't happen. But Tyler saw the good in it and showed that he was a genuine Nas fan. In that case, he was talking about the music that he appreciated and spoke to him. He didn't just mention Illmatic again like a lot of people would.

Another example is Max from Hip Hop Isn’t Dead. He's the biggest Nas hater I've ever seen in my life, and up until King's Disease, he never gave any of his albums a positive review. The run with Hit-Boy was so good, he couldn't deny it and even admitted that it sounds like Nas is finally having fun, even though there were a lot of songs he wasn't into. But a couple months ago, he reviewed the 8 Mile soundtrack and when he got to "U Wanna Be Me," you could tell that he was still the same Nas hater because he acted like that song was awful. People like him have done a lot of damage in ways they're probably unaware of.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
This got a lot of chatter on twitter so I'll say this
Yeah there's kids who pretend to be all knowing of music just for points and may not listen to them...but at the same every generation of young folks have music nerds/hipsters who listen to music before their time to be more knowledgeable and even if its performative thats their style

So its a weird observation, you're critizing them for being pretentious but at the same are kind of policiing and gatekeeping them in the same way you'd expect them to to others

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No one mentioned that he said all this in front of Mr. Top 10 list, B Dot.

Tyler isn't even directly addressing culture vultures because you have people like B Dot who put lists together based on politics. He'll list big nam artists as the best of a particular year when they didn't even release any music. I can't remember what publication it was but they had black writers make a list and you still had the Cardi's and Minaj's ranked way ahead of legends.

All these lists are Bs because you leave Pac off and someone gets mad but you might have Rakim on there and they don't. Then people will insert artists on their lists they don't fukk with just to be safe.