Tyler doesn't like culture vultures, blasts Hip Hop Twitter

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Nah, Tyler is on point with this.

Since "performative" is the key word in this whole thing, I think there's a GREAT amount of performing that goes on when it comes to hip-hop opinions on social media. I know it's hard sometimes to tell when someone is being genuine or just saying things to be saying it, but we see those conversations.

You got people with these top 5s that always HAVE to be Biggie/Pac/Jay/Nas/(insert #5 here)

Or the ones who go out of their way to be "edgy" and dismissive so they intentionally downplay certain acclaimed artists.

Or the fake historian nikkas who have super-strong opinions on eras they not only weren't around for but have very limited knowledge about.

Or the old dudes who fear criticism and being the old nikka in the convo, so they start acting like they don't love the shyt from their era.

Or the old dudes who try attempting to MAKE 22 year olds say they love music they don't know about, without even trying to at least put them on to some shyt first.

It happens a lot. Even on here :mjlol: I don't know why folks are bein' offended or taken aback why Tyler's point on this. It's the equivalent of people who wear Wu-Tang, Def Leppard, Nirvana, Run-DMC, etc. shirts for the logo and don't have one song they can name- this happens in hip-hop discussions as well.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Why is this a problem?

You don't see the issue with that? I mean if that's what someone wants to do it's on them, but in truth, it's phony as shyt.

It's not coming from a real place, it's coming from "this is the thing to say so I'll say that", rather than actually hearing the album and loving it, and this opinion you're giving is genuinely your opinion. It's not "these are my actual favorite MCs/albums/etc", it's "this what they say have to be the best, so they're my best too".

I told someone last year that I have TWO different views on this- I have songs/albums that I think are THE greatest based on what they mean to hip-hop, their relevance to the genre, etc... and then I have MY favorite shyt. If I had to make lists, some of these things would fall into both categories, but the two lists would probably not be even 50% identical. And if I put up my personal favorites, I can almost guarantee nikkas would be "how you ain't gonna put ______ in there", "you forgot _______", "no ____???" etc. shyt, Jay-Z couldn't even list his own albums without MFs on there tellin' him what was too low and too high. :russ:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You don't see the issue with that? I mean if that's what someone wants to do it's on them, but in truth, it's phony as shyt.

It's not coming from a real place, it's coming from "this is the thing to say so I'll say that", rather than actually hearing the album and loving it, and this opinion you're giving is genuinely your opinion. It's not "these are my actual favorite MCs/albums/etc", it's "this what they say have to be the best, so they're my best too".

I told someone last year that I have TWO different views on this- I have songs/albums that I think are THE greatest based on what they mean to hip-hop, their relevance to the genre, etc... and then I have MY favorite shyt. If I had to make lists, some of these things would fall into both categories, but the two lists would probably not be even 50% identical. And if I put up my personal favorites, I can almost guarantee nikkas would be "how you ain't gonna put ______ in there", "you forgot _______", "no ____???" etc. shyt, Jay-Z couldn't even list his own albums without MFs on there tellin' him what was too low and too high. :russ:
I definitely see that side of it, but to me it also represents history being accurately passed down and humility on the part of younger less knowledgeable fans who can look past their own opinions (an acknowledgment that they don’t have he knowledge base to even weigh in on the subject) and say that they’ve heard this is one of the GOAT albums.

We need to face facts, in 10-20 years there is a good chance that everything before GRODT will be written out of the history books, including Illmatic. So we should appreciate this time where at least some of the classics of our era are still being heralded as they should be by the next generation. It would be great if they could acknowledge Paid in Full, Criminal Minded, It Takes a Nation, etc., but they’ve already written everything before the Chronic out of the history books.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I definitely see that side of it, but to me it also represents history being accurately passed down and humility on the part of younger less knowledgeable fans who can look past their own opinions (an acknowledgment that they don’t have he knowledge base to even weigh in on the subject) and say that they’ve heard this is one of the GOAT albums.

We need to face facts, in 10-20 years there is a good chance that everything before GRODT will be written out of the history books, including Illmatic. So we should appreciate this time where at least some of the classics of our era are still being heralded as they should be by the next generation. It would be great if they could acknowledge Paid in Full, Criminal Minded, It Takes a Nation, etc., but they’ve already written everything before the Chronic out of the history books.
This is not what's being discussed.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

That's a whole nother thing... I definitely feel like history gets ignored and disregarded (and some of that is performative too), and of course there's gonna be a time the 90s gets wiped too. BUT, I still feel like if you're gonna salute artists, albums, songs, etc... it makes more sense to actually learn/know the music you're praising instead of just naming shyt as your favorite when it's actually not. If the question is "what's YOUR favorite 5/10/whatever", it shouldn't be someone else's or what people expect you to say because you're "supposed to".

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
This is not what's being discussed.
It is. It’s just people haven’t thought about this side of it. Everything I said cannot be separated from all the complaints people are making. Which are valid complaints.

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
tyler the most performative nikka living

& when he was a kid he was the worst at stating his shyte opinions purely for attention

shut the fukk up ha

This.

Dudes whole career is being the “anti” rapper. Looks like a weirdo. Says weirdo things for attention.

Then gon get mad cause a few kids use those albums to look like they know more than others.

Something tells me not many people listen to those albums as kids, adults, whatever; and even have to make up they like them to look down.

Hes always said negative things about the past artists when compared. Wu tang / gravediggaz in particular.

Whatever deeper point some think we all missing, is make believe.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This is funny because its like him sampling 2 cups of blood and acting like he didn't know who the gravediggaz were or the song :mjlol:. Dude is pretentious as fukk and should just make better music so non white kids will start looking at him as the GOAT maybe

PHamm

Superstar
Daps
He nailed it.

You see it on here too with these top 5 lists with the same damn artists (big pac Nas jay em) that's usually indicative of someone who just follows trends and has no taste of their own