Underrated West Coast Hip-Hop Albums...

Daps
Kill kill and black9 both had self titled debuts that slapped. Black9 had a track called "I'm an og" that really stood out....

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
09756616428fe2649011cb2396cb67bb.500x500x1.jpg

I don't feel like this album gets it's props outside of the Bay...shyt is CLASSIC from top to bottom :banderas:

Super Future Luther King Jr.

You Deserve It
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rose Town
Any King T album

Any Above The Law album that ain't Uncle Sam's Curse

Kam - Made In America

Mac Mall - Untouchable

415 - 415vin

Askari X - RBG shyt pre Dead Prez

Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce

Saafir - Boxcar Sessions

IMP - Back In The Days

Alkaholiks - Likwidation

Do this shyt aaaaalllllllllll day:pachaha:

Young Lay-Black n Dangerous
Dubee-Sugawolf
Cellski-Mr predicter
J Stalin-Prenuptial Agreement
Jt Tha Bigga Figga-Dwellin n tha lab
Messy Marv-Messy Situationz
Philthy Rich-Funk Or Die
Philthy Rich-Tripn 4 life

X-Raided-The Unforgiven Vol 1
Damu Ridas- How Deep Is Your Hood
CMW-It’s A Compton Thang
The Click-Game Related
C-Bo- Mob Figaz
B-Legit- The Hemp Museum
Tha Jacka- The Jack Artist
Mac Mall- Untouchable
The Relativez- The Takeover
Richie Rich- Seasoned Veteran

09756616428fe2649011cb2396cb67bb.500x500x1.jpg

I don't feel like this album gets it's props outside of the Bay...shyt is CLASSIC from top to bottom :banderas:

1-Mac%20Mall%20-%20Illegal%20Business.jpg

Young nikka was SPITTIN on this album :wow:

ALL +REPPED :wow::wow::wow::wow:

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
I honestly think the cover ruined the album
Quirks beats got the Rhythm-al-ism sound on here
Yeah the cover looks like it's just some generic mixtape. If Quik, Suga Free and Mausburg had their faces on the album cover more people would know about it

And if people knew Dj Quik produced the whole album it would've sold way more records

Last edited:

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What are some west coast albums that you feel are criminally underrated and why do you believe those albums should get more recognition?

I'll start..

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F7130347bb47a4a618915a6de2818699a.1000x1000x1.jpg
Lethal Injection/Ice Cube - To me personally I feel that this was Cube last good/great solo album. Yes he wasn't spittin those anti-police / fu¢k everybody militant lyrics like on his first 3 albums however production was dope for the most part and his laid back gangsta lyrics were still on point. (Lethal Injection is very similar to The Predator but because of TP having the hotter singles it's unfairly put on a pedestal when the two are about equal)

378262f83025b434fc5375a332bd1a1f.800x800x1.png
nikkaz4Life (Efil4zaggin)/N.W.A.- Ok now when speaking on 90s west coast classics we occasionally hear about the Dre, Tupac & Snoop record's but this right here is one the best albums from the coast. Let me just start off by saying Dre's production on here is just a masterpiece obviously pre G-funk/ Chronic era but damn for 91' it sounded ahead of it's time.. Now let's talk lyrics as we all Cube was gone by the time this was recorded and it shows in the lyrics gone are the menacing anti-police / fu¢k everybody and their mama lyrics.. Incomes the violent shock value stomach turning over the top lyrics that unfortunately ruined the chance of this being a classic (from a universal standpoint). Listen without a doubt this is MC Ren's best lyrical showcasing track after track he killed it, honestly I think this is Dre's best rapping performance (although of course many will say it's the chronic that shows the best of him when you count in the fact Snoop, tha dogg pound & lady of rage ghostwriting for you) he's ever put on record and Eazy is just there unfortunately but he does have some moments on certain tracks. Bottom line underrated when speaking 90s Hip-Hop.

db19c8b29dd4c2035edf2e3c48f80581cb176460
Music To Driveby/Compton's Most Wanted- Ah Mc Ehit aka the Compton Cyco. Compton's Most Wanted IMO are criminally underrated when speaking on gangsta rap as they've kinda went unnoticed ("Growing Up In The Hood" from the Boyz N The Hood soundtrack was their breakout) until their 3rd and final album which by most underground fans is considered the groups magnum opus and truthfully it is, not that the previous two albums were bad they were actually good it's just this is the album where the beats & rhymes from Ehit all came together. During this 18 track shy of an hour the Cyco takes you through his world on "Hood Took Me Under" to wonderful adventures of jacking fools on "Compton 4 Life" to a duet with a guest appearance from Scarface on "N 2 Deep" to sex stories on the heavy drums of "Hoodrat" I can go on and on but man such an underrated album also unnoticed (released months before the chronic).

5da7073c2890dec8159251769967990400ac84e8
Ain't A Damn Thang Changed/WC and The Maad Circle- WC is CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED he's been around a long time in the game unfortunately he wasn't noticed until Westside Connection he was actually even featured in Ice Cube's "Jackin for Beats" video as well as being a guest off of Cube's Death Certificate cut "Color Blind". But anyway just in case nobody knows but Coolio was a member of The Maad Circle along with WC & Crazy Toons however not much impact as he just appeared on a couple of songs but on this album WC showed he was a force to be reckoned with on tracks like "Fu¢k My Daddy" he gets personal on his childhood memories or tracks like "Caught N A Fad" where he breaks down fake revolutionaries and wannabe gangstas. But the two standout tracks are "You Don't Work U Don't Eat" (which features guest appearances from Ice Cube and Mc Ehit dropping gems) & "Ghetto Serenade".

a732286e6aa3b5f916221243e1ca2908f1cdc4c1
Regulate... G-FUNK ERA/Warren G- Now "Regulate" the single isn't underrated it's actually universally well known.. However the album itself is underrated when talking west coast classics, Warren being Dre's stepbrother overshadowed him and it's unfortunate because his debut should be a certified classic. From the smooth G-funk styled beats laced on each track along with the laid back lyrics IMO can stand right next to The Chronic and Doggystyle as heavyweights.. Idk maybe it's the album's run time (36 mins) or just timing of the release man this record shouldn't be here!

cb35570fb13d6bcfa4bd262e6270c3d2c7556ec1
Rhythm-Al-Ism/DJ Quik- DJ is one of my favorite producers he just has a knack for that funky party style beats sometimes honestly I think he's better than Dre from a production and obviously a rapping standpoint.. On to the album.. Released three years after his classic Safe+Sound album Quik continued with sex themed lyrics as usual however his production gotten even better not that the previous solo was lacking but here he's goes for more live instruments and backing singing choruses the party is even more loud with special appearances from Snoop, Suga Free, Tony Gunz, El Debarge and more. Standout tracks (We Still Party, So Many Wayz, Hand In Hand, Medley for a "V").

49de26f35734b3cf823e1cab73be944b82f33380
OG.. Original Gangster/Ice-T - Ice-T as we all know is known mainly for his role on TV as a cop on "Law & Order: SVU" however back in mid 80s-early 90s he was a top tier rapper YES he was a great rapper who released very good critical acclaimed albums (Rhyme Pays, Power, The Iceberg/freedom of Speech & Home Invasion). Now OG is looked on as his best in his solo discography and I couldn't agree more on every track ice t let's you know how gangsta he is from the classic "New Jack Hustler/Nino's theme" which appears in the movie "New Jack City", the track "Midnight" is a continuation of his classic song "6 N The Morning", another standout track is "Mind Over Matter" plus the album's closer "The Tower" (which features a Halloween themed beat) is a great story where Ice-T tells a story about his stay in prison and the fights that takes place with every gang in jail where nobody is safe. Bottom line is this is such an underrated classic that should be brought up more often in discussions.

2d560f3895207a5ef52abc46e7b828368831b0ec
Freedom Of Speech / Just Watch What You Say/Ice-T - Ok released back in '89 (before Original Gangster) this album was an answer to the critics (such as Oprah, government officials and especially Tipper Gore) who blamed gangsta rap for America's problems so Ice released this underrated classic political (this is his the only album where his lyrics are less gangsta) record. Tracks like "You Played Yourself" tells three different stories concerning those who've made it to the top only to fall down. Such a shame Ice contributes to Hip-Hop is unnoticed. Other standout songs are (Lethal Weapon, Peel Their Caps Back & Hit The Deck).

Well what are some west coast hip-hop albums you feel is underrated/unnoticed and why do you like them?

{Note: I will do other regions other times when I get to them}

Underrated to whom exactly?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
3X Krazy-Stackin Chips
Killa Tay-Mr Mafioso
Almost all of Digital Underground’s albums
11/5- A-1 Yola
Snoop Dogg-No Limit Top Dogg
San Quinn & Messy Marv- Explosive Mode
Dry Down-Explicit Game
Dosia- Waiting to Inhale
Brotha Lynch Hung- Loaded
C-Bo- Till my Casket Drops
E-40- Federal

That first Explosive Mode :whew::whew:

Super Future Luther King Jr.

You Deserve It
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rose Town
so many albums mane lol here we goooooooooo

The Jacka - The Jack Artist (Top 25 album OAT for me)

:wow:

The Jacka - Tear Gas

(one of Mistah F.A.B.'s best showings on a track EVER IMO, 1 of my favorite songs OAT)

(Rest In fuccin Peace mane smh)

Mac Mall - first 2 albums both classic

(met him a few times personally thru associates of ours, can be kind of an a$$hole to the public/strangers, but he a solid individual as well)
:obama:

Ray Luv - Forever Hustlin'
(hometown hero, do ya research)
:mjgrin:

Celly Cel - Killa Kali

51.50 - Illegally Insane

:wow: (one of my favorite songs OAT)

RBL Posse - first 2 albums classic

:wow: @No_bammer_weed

Rappin 4-Tay - Don't Fight The Feelin

:wow: (fuccin incredible)

Iamsu! - Sincerely Yours (boys sleep on Su tough, shouts to the Rich)

:yeshrug:

E-40's entire discography
C-Bo entire discography
Spice-1 entire discography
Brotha Lynch Hung entire discography
Mac Dre entire discography
Andre Nickatina's (Dre Dog) entire discography
X-Raided's entire discography lmao

I could go all night mane and this just Bay and extended area shyt lol not even rest of Cali