"Until You Own Your Own, You Can't Be Free": Official 2017 Entrepreneurship Thread

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I started a business three years ago, light manufacturing in the food industry, which I do at nights. I am finally starting to get growing well so I may ditch the day job. It is harder to make that decision with a family though. If I was 25 and no tie ups I would have bailed a couple of years ago.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Had an argument with my moms earlier this morning she's talking about finding a good job if they terminate me they won't give me a reference. I'm barking on her you always want to work for someone you ain't putting in the legwork out there building shyt. You haven't built shyt in your life you always want to work for someone and just barely make it. I want to own a business and make my money on my own fukking terms. I'm damn near an old man and what do I have to show for the shyt?! a bad back, a job I dislike and limited funds in my account. I'm tired of working for others and making THEM rich. :mindblown:

TBH I felt bad barking on her in the car about that but it's true she's always wants to work a job and just barely make it. I want to build a business and live fukking free answering to no one... Who wants to work a 9-5 for 40K a year after taxes!?! I just look at our struggles and I'm like you busting ya ass in school trying to get ya masters got a house upkeep killing all our pockets wtf are we working for if we can't live RIGHT???

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
Had an argument with my moms she's talking about finding a good job if they terminate me they won't give me a reference. I'm barking on her you always want to work for someone you ain't putting in the legwork out there building shyt. You haven't built shyt in your life you always want to work for someone and just barely make it. I want to own a business and make my money on my own fukking terms. I'm damn near an old man and what do I have to show for the shyt?! a bad back, a job I dislike and limited funds in my account. I'm tired of working for others and making THEM rich. :mindblown:

TBH I felt bad barking on her in the car about that but it's true she's always wants to work a job and just barely make it. I want to build a business and live fukking free answering to no one... Who wants to work a 9-5 for 40K a year after taxes!?! I just look at our struggles and I'm like you busting ya ass in school trying to get ya masters got a house upkeep killing all our pockets wtf are we working for if we can't live RIGHT???
I feel you. I will say though, differing opinions like that are common and you just gotta make sure you handle yourself calmly. It's frustrating, but when you got a goal for yourself, you just gotta keep grinding for it even if the folks around you don't get it.

Understand that the majority of what we're taught growing up is about making us employees. The whole point of the current college system as it is now is to create newer generations of workers. And some schools do have entrepreneurship majors, but a college degree isn't needed to be an entrepreneur. Actually getting out there and putting an idea to action is all that's required.

Some people just can't wrap their heads around the idea of not receiving a check from someone at the end of the week. They're the type of folks who like to keep throwing out the idea that entrepreneurship is risky so you shouldn't do it. But having a job is just as risky. There's no guarantee at all for it. You spend years kissing ass and trying to do the right thing only to get dropped when they find they can hire someone else to do your job at a lower wage.

I don't knock folks who don't want to be in business for themselves. Some people are made to be employees and that's fine. But it's the folks who wanna complain about it and not try and get out of that loop that I can't deal with. Either start your business or stop complaining :camby:

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
Trump is now President and I low key don't care. The grind don't stop. Now is the most important time to get yourself financially straight and independent. I've seen some :mjpls: tendencies at previous corporate jobs last year and that was before Trump got in office. That's enough motivation for me to build my own and not have to go back to that life.

Stay focused your goals and keep at it daily. We're all gonna make it :salute:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I feel you. I will say though, differing opinions like that are common and you just gotta make sure you handle yourself calmly. It's frustrating, but when you got a goal for yourself, you just gotta keep grinding for it even if the folks around you don't get it.

Understand that the majority of what we're taught growing up is about making us employees. The whole point of the current college system as it is now is to create newer generations of workers. And some schools do have entrepreneurship majors, but a college degree isn't needed to be an entrepreneur. Actually getting out there and putting an idea to action is all that's required.

Some people just can't wrap their heads around the idea of not receiving a check from someone at the end of the week. They're the type of folks who like to keep throwing out the idea that entrepreneurship is risky so you shouldn't do it. But having a job is just as risky. There's no guarantee at all for it. You spend years kissing ass and trying to do the right thing only to get dropped when they find they can hire someone else to do your job at a lower wage.

I don't knock folks who don't want to be in business for themselves. Some people are made to be employees and that's fine. But it's the folks who wanna complain about it and not try and get out of that loop that I can't deal with. Either start your business or stop complaining :camby:
Hell, having a job is RISKIER than entrepreneurship, it's just that the average person doesn't have enough faith in themselves, therefore reversing the odds (if you don't believe in yourself/your ability, then of course counting on someone outside of yourself to feed you is going to seem like the better idea).

I used to go Dame Dash constantly on people during discussions but at some point it's just not worth it.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You're right. My idea is about giving more than receiving though. Giving back into the community, and getting people on their feet.
Hey, that's even better. You reap what you sow. Whatever you give out to the universe you're going to get back tenfold eventually. If you're truly out here trying to help people and take care of people, you're going to end up being rich beyond your dreams, financial and otherwise.

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
You're right. My idea is about giving more than receiving though. Giving back into the community, and getting people on their feet.
That's great. In the Millionaire Fastlane book, it talks about how the most successful businesses are ones where you add value to people's lives. Sounds like you've got that.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I have been running my business on the side for about 3 years now. I couldn't quit my main job since I have a wife and kids (if I was single I would have bounced 12 months ago). I am at a point where I have more orders than I have time to fill given my main job/family schedule. I am trying to save up 6 months of expenses so I can do entrepreneurship full time but do you think that is enough? I can get healthcare on my wife's plan so that won't be a huge concern. I know some people say 12-18 months but this is not a new gig, I have an established clientele and contracts and I am actually leaving money on the table since I am running out of time in the evenings and weekends to work.