"Until You Own Your Own, You Can't Be Free": Official 2017 Entrepreneurship Thread

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
I have been running my business on the side for about 3 years now. I couldn't quit my main job since I have a wife and kids (if I was single I would have bounced 12 months ago). I am at a point where I have more orders than I have time to fill given my main job/family schedule. I am trying to save up 6 months of expenses so I can do entrepreneurship full time but do you think that is enough? I can get healthcare on my wife's plan so that won't be a huge concern. I know some people say 12-18 months but this is not a new gig, I have an established clientele and contracts and I am actually leaving money on the table since I am running out of time in the evenings and weekends to work.

I'd say maybe go for 8 months of expenses. I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't have any significant debts eating up income or growing.

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Just start walking in the right direction and watch things fall in place. I was thinking for the longest I would have to save up and drop $4k for CAD software but ended up finding a free open source platform that's just as good:blessed:

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
Someone give me some inspiration

I'm an 18 year old community college student/Five Guys employee and this shyt is played:sadcam:

I have a big imagination and have some dope app ideas but coding is too hard :sadcam:

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
Is there a need out there that you don't see being filled? What are you good at?
I don't really have the entrepreneurial mindset yet so I don't really know the need right now:patrice:

As far as what I'm good at, I guess history/geography stuff, sports stuff, writing and speaking. FWIW, when I have an idea that I really believe in, I'm AMAZING at selling people on it.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I don't really have the entrepreneurial mindset yet so I don't really know the need right now:patrice:

As far as what I'm good at, I guess history/geography stuff, sports stuff, writing and speaking. FWIW, when I have an idea that I really believe in, I'm AMAZING at selling people on it.

While you think about it do these three things:

1. Improve your credit: pay down your cards and any other debt you can since good credit can help you get loans (i.e. Lending Club) and business cards for your business.
2. Save, save, save. If possible put away 10% of your take home pay, 15% is better. Cut out the fluff if you can; alcohol is the easiest in my experience
3. Get two books: one on starting a business and one on basic accounting. These will come in handy

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika

You should already be freelancing on the side to get your feet wet and earn more money. Try to get a writing gig for a sports site or start up your own sports blog now. Start offering writing services for students. Look into offering tutoring services for history and geography.