Wait, so most of these "Atlanta" rappers are really from safe suburbs outside the city?

Deoji

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Zone 6 via PG County
Your journey thru PG sounds like mine breh. Born in Cheverly (PG Hospital) back in ‘92 but grew up in Suitland (back when the Homer Ave projects were still around and them Tooley St. and Swann Rd. nikkas were even grimier than they are now, I lived in City Line towers next to the cemetery literally just a 2 min walk from PG’s border with the Soufside), Forestville (lived in Park Berkshire, Forest Creek was around the corner tho), District Heights/Silver Hill Rd, and Walker Mill (Shady Glen Terrace). I was stayed in those hoods for an average of 5-6 years, Walker Mill was the longest stay (2002-2007), so outta all the hoods in PG County, I feel more of a stronger connection there since half of my childhood, preteenhood, and early teenhood was spent there. Then around summer of 2007, I moved out to Clinton and fast forward to Feb 2014, I live in Brandywine now.

Both the inner and outer Beltway parts of PG are two different worlds. Hell, going out Clinton back in the day used to feel like a road trip when I was living in Walker Mill and District Heights....Don’t even get me started on Waldorf when it was way more country than it is now.

I also used to briefly live in Northeast near Eastern Ave as an infant but like I said, briefly and as an infant. I don’t claim DC hoods since I didn’t grew up in the City.

yeah was born at PG Hospital too. went to college in NC then moved back and stayed in Silver Hill Gardens, then off Marlboro Pike.

Jchr is

Banned
Daps
Folks who never been in the city and surrounding areas will never understand how and why Zones work in Atlanta.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
They say they live there but they don't. It doesn't give them a pass. It annoys me. That's why there's separate statistics for city and metro population. If the address doesn't say Chicago, they're not from here. If they're from an outlying suburb, they're from metro Chicago, or Chicagoland.

In reality, those named places are smaller town sized. But what you make of it is different. DC is pretty dense and has historical and political significance, Miami has less population than Jacksonville but is obviously more desired as a tourist spot.

Atlanta could just annex the suburbs to get big, like what Houston did. But city sizes are an unnecessary dikk waving metric. Any suburb integration is mute, as any well established city will have that type of support.

If anyone says Atlanta I think: Atlanta, the city of 473K. Not Atlanta and it's suburbs. That's metro Atlanta or whatever name (greater Atlanta area?).
When people say Atlanta I think of all of it. Like when you’re saying I’m on beach in Miami, I won’t say Correction! You’re not in Miami you’re in Miami Beach. Imo it’s all about how the city is built. New York could’ve been just southern parts of Manhattan if it was in the south. It’s just definitions based on random events. When I’m snobbish I’ll say Yonkers is it’s own city, but when I’m real I’ll count Yonkers and even mt vernon.

Now if you city is very specially defined like SF, I’ll rock with that definition and call the larger definition the bay. But if it’s like Chicago where you just cross a line you can’t see but it feels the same, same lingo, same food, same architecture, the same everything. Then I’ll call it Chicago. The “real cities” are the inner city or just the city in my head or every day language.

But yes if we’re talking facts you are obviously correct.

bigmanharris

Coli Gangsta
Daps
Reppin
GA
What's Decatur like and why do rappers mention it? I remember jeezy said "Know some nikkas in Decatur that pay for them Falcons" and check the statistics and it was like 70-80% white and a pretty small area.
Decatur is two parts....you have the incorporated city(in the northern part of Dekalb) which is mostly cac and affluent.....but unincorporated Decatur is in the southern part of the county and much larger and mostly black

And Chicago is not? Just cause there's a lot of G-shyt doesn't mean that everyone is broke.
It's a city of 10 million people.