Want to change your career, get into Quality Assurance....

knickscrusaderm

lead by example
Daps
Reppin
dark butts
Bump.

Let's say a breh is going to chase a B.S. in comp info systems in the fall. Should I start learning the shyt in the OP on the side then cash out when I graduate? Regardless i'm likely to use this as a backup plan in case life doesn't work out.

PaperEnterprise

It's the inner strength..
Daps
Reppin
New York
Bump.

Let's say a breh is going to chase a B.S. in comp info systems in the fall. Should I start learning the shyt in the OP on the side then cash out when I graduate? Regardless i'm likely to use this as a backup plan in case life doesn't work out.

Im guessing somewhere along the line you will learn QA concepts. It will never hurt to know why testing is important in software/system development

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Is this really a viable career path? On Reddit, people seemed to look down on it. And QA engineers were regretting getting to it because they couldn't transition to dev roles.

bammtronics

man sit 'cho ass down!
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach
Is this really a viable career path? On Reddit, people seemed to look down on it. And QA engineers were regretting getting to it because they couldn't transition to dev roles.

it's viable but probably not too common. we have two QA analysts that are about to transition into dev. but our company/situation is somewhat unique where taking someone from QA -> junior dev makes sense for us. most companies i know of prefer devs to come in with experience and hit the ground running rather than training from within

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Nope it is a legit field. You can be software quality, hardware quality or supplier quality. It is a more viable field in DoD (because quality and requirements is much more stressed in defense than the commercial world)....but the pay is good.

A real good job in the commercial world is supplier quality especially overseas. I meet a bunch of kats in Shanghai that are supplier quality engineers. Kats be making crazy doe but they do a lot of travel.

I was offered a quality engineer job in china some years back. Company was gonna pay my room and board. Plus bring my wife and kids over. It was a 3 year assignment, but I would have had to travel to suppliers all over china.

PaperEnterprise

It's the inner strength..
Daps
Reppin
New York
Lol i forgot about this thread. I have helped a few friends get into QA by introducing them to my project.

Pay is great, if you are hungry and learn automation and coding. You can move up and make lots of dough.

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
Lol i forgot about this thread. I have helped a few friends get into QA by introducing them to my project.

Pay is great, if you are hungry and learn automation and coding. You can move up and make lots of dough.

What are you doing now? Still in a business analyst?

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We need more QA people for my job. We virtually have UAT, QA, and DEV mimic each other due to lack of proper positions for each environment.

QA is always important in SDLC