• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
I know there are good MMA fans out there. I post about MMA here for a reason though. Sherdog, UG, Bloodyelbow, MMA Junkie etc. confirm every stereotype about the fanbase and I had to leave the former two because of all the stupidity. Silva, Machida, Mousasi, Cung Le and kickboxing crossovers like Spong and young Cro Cop are awesome strikers but 90% of MMA stand up is wrestlers throwing the same ugly kickboxing combinations. Most of the elite strikers in MMA are just ok anywhere else (JDS). MMA is a grappling based sport.

I've only been on Sherdog for a bit, I can't really say anything for those other forums. Sherdog is full of idiots and trolls, I wouldn't take what they say seriously.

90% is again, an exaggeration. And what are you expecting for wrestlers [or BJJ practicioners] who have trained striking for a short period of time?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Other sports have similar problems with drunk casuals.
not to the level of mma stop it, no way u get the type of dedicated fans nfl has (for their teams) in ufc for fighters.Case in point the moment a fighter loses they are trash or were all hype blah blah blah.In other sports fans ride or die to the end

Last edited:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've only been on Sherdog for a bit, I can't really say anything for those other forums. Sherdog is full of idiots and trolls, I wouldn't take what they say seriously.

90% is again, an exaggeration. And what are you expecting for wrestlers [or BJJ practicioners] who have trained striking for a short period of time?

Mediocre striking which is what it is. I'm not bashing MMA I'm just saying Arum had some points.

We'll agree to disagree you seem adamant in your belief that MMA is perfectly fine the way it is. I like it but it could get better.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
not to the level of mma stop it, no way u get the type of dedicated fans nfl has (for their teams) in ufc for fighters.Case in point the moment a fighter loses they are trash or were all hype blah blah blah.In other sports fans ride or die to the end

The fans I know are not like that, but you could be right. There are fairweather fans in all sports, maybe there are more in MMA..

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
Mediocre striking which is what it is. I'm not bashing MMA I'm just saying Arum had some points.

We'll agree to disagree you seem adamant in your belief that MMA is perfectly fine the way it is. I like it but it could get better.

I never said mma is perfectly fine, there are a lot of things that could make it better. I just believe that a fighter who has had limited training in striking has a ceiling in how much they can improve in that one art.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
I think so. Also hardcore MMA fans typically don't watch any other sports.

I wouldn't say so. A good portion of mma fans are boxing fans as well. And they follow other sports too, like for me, I'm a pretty big ball fan . It's pretty much the same as fans from other sports.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It will never look like kickboxing and boxing striking because they have to worry about being taken down.

High level stand up can exist in the highest levels of MMA. Anderson Silva, Mousasi and Machida are proof of this.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
It will never look like kickboxing and boxing striking because they have to worry about being taken down.

Plus, mma fighters spend considerably less time in a specific art form. They have to train their wrestling, bjj, etc as well.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Those are the rare exceptions which is why they are so successful.

That's what I'm saying though. The reason the standup looks mediocre has nothing to do with getting taken down. It's mediocre because it's mediocre.

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High level stand up can exist in the highest levels of MMA. Anderson Silva, Mousasi and Machida are proof of this.

and? not everyone can be anderson silva. just like not everyone can be roger gracie (bjj) or gsp (wrestling).

semtex is completely right. the threat of takedowns completely change the game when it comes to stand-up.