• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

semtex

:)
Daps
That's what I'm saying though. The reason the standup looks mediocre has nothing to do with getting taken down. It's mediocre because it's mediocre.
A kick thrown in an MMA match will be thrown way more tentatively than in kickboxing due to the threat of a takedown. Striking in general is less sharp and less deliberate for that same reason.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
and? not everyone can be anderson silva. just like not everyone can be roger gracie (bjj) or gsp (wrestling).

semtex is completely right. the threat of takedowns completely change the game when it comes to stand-up.

It definitely has an effect but if it "completely changes the game" why isn't it limiting Anderson Silva, Machida and Mousasi (Mousasi in particular has mediocre take down defense but still excels with his style)? Logically it should greatly affect them as well.

I love MMA. I don't expect these guys to have great striking I'm just saying Arum has some points and his belief that the standup is generally weak is one of them. Meelad92 asked me to explain why I agree with Arum and I just answered his question by pointing out that Bob is right about the standup.

Change

All Star
Daps
I've seen this a lot and never quite understood it. You hardly see any boxing fans like this, what is it about MMA that attracts these guys?

The day of the Silva loss I was disgusted at some of the shyt I was reading, that shyt honestly turns me off about the sport.

Have you ever seen a black guy fight a mexican/puerto rican in boxing? That's the most racist shyt you'll ever see. lol

The last Zab Judah conference was basically them screaming ****** and spic back and forth.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Have you ever seen a black guy fight a mexican/puerto rican in boxing? That's the most racist shyt you'll ever see. lol

The last Zab Judah conference was basically them screaming ****** and spic back and forth.
but thats 2 minorities pitted against each other anything goes.Its slighted different when the racial shyt is coming from a cac

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
That's what I'm saying though. The reason the standup looks mediocre has nothing to do with getting taken down. It's mediocre because it's mediocre.

It's somewhat mediocre because they're not strikers [boxers or kickboxers], they're MMA fighters. And it's only mediocre when you compare them to professional boxers/kick-boxers, which should be expected.

90% of MMA being terrible strikers is still a horrible exaggeration. For example, let's look at the top 15 LHWs [in no particular order]:

Jon Jones
Machida
Dan Henderson
Phil Davis
Lil Nog
Rashad
Gustafsson
Glover
Thiago Silva
Shogun
Bader
Mousasi
Te-Huna
Feijao
Hamill

Which one of these fighters has 'terrible striking'? According to your 90%, a good portion of these fighters should have terrible striking. Since it's top 15, it won't obviously be 90%, but it should still be a decent amount.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
not to the level of mma stop it, no way u get the type of dedicated fans nfl has (for their teams) in ufc for fighters.Case in point the moment a fighter loses they are trash or were all hype blah blah blah.In other sports fans ride or die to the end

Plus, it's a different in team-based sports because you're obviously, for the most part, going to stick by your hometown team, win or lose.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Plus, it's a different in team-based sports because you're obviously, you're for the most part, going to stick by your hometown team, win or lose.
How is that any different than sticking by a fighter from your neck of the woods or u can identify with? :why:
:heh: So it's only racist when it's coming from a cac?
Dont tell me u are one of those types that really needs to ask :snoop:

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
How is that any different than sticking by a fighter from your neck of the woods or u can identify with?
Dont tell me u are one of those types that really needs to ask :snoop:

It is different, most MMA fans have little relation with their favourite fighters.

And you're right. It's only racist when it's coming from a cac. It doesn't exist amongst minorities.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
It is different, most MMA fans have little relation with their favourite fighters..
what are u talking about? most gsp fans are made up of one if not all of the 3, gays, whites or canadians.Why because they can identify with their idol..Its very seldom that u will find a black dude that follows MMA that wont have anderson as his best fighter.Why because there arent many blax, hes the closest fighter that looks like them and all he does is win. Its just human nature
And you're right. It's only racist when it's coming from a cac. It doesn't exist amongst minorities.
Dont understand this sentence and am not sure if u are being factitious.But if you cant spot the fundamental difference between two ethnic minorities trading racial epithets back and forth.And a white saying it to either minorities, I dont know what to tell u

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
what are u talking about? most gsp fans are made up of one if not all of the 3, gays, whites or canadians.Why because they can identify with their idol..Its very seldom that u will find a black dude that follows MMA that wont have anderson as his best fighter.Why because there arent many blax, hes the closest fighter that looks like them and all he does is win. Its just human nature

No, what are you talking about. Generally, people like a fighter because of number 1, their fighting style, number 2, their skill level [fans gravitate toward better fighters obviously] and number 3, their personality/attitude. Where they're from and race would probably be number 4 or possibly, number 3. Number 1 is usually the most likely a person likes a fighter. I understand that Canadians tend to like GSP and Brazilians tend to support their own. But for the most part, it's not about race and where a fighter's from.

Where did you get this idea that all blacks have Anderson as their favorite fighter?

Last edited:

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
Dont understand this sentence and am not sure if u are being factitious.But if you cant spot the fundamental difference between two ethnic minorities trading racial epithets back and forth.And a white saying it to either minorities, I dont know what to tell u

Racism is still racism, regardless of your race [I'm a minority myself]. I understand what you're coming from though, it is [somewhat] different, but it's still racism.

Last edited:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal

Two fighters saying racist shyt to each other is different than a strong % of fans saying racist shyt. Go to any major boxing forum and then go to sherdog and tell me you don't see there is a huge difference to how they react to the race of the fighters.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
[
It's somewhat mediocre because they're not strikers [boxers or kickboxers], they're MMA fighters. And it's only mediocre when you compare them to professional boxers/kick-boxers, which should be expected.

90% of MMA being terrible strikers is still a horrible exaggeration. For example, let's look at the top 15 LHWs [in no particular order]:

Jon Jones
Machida
Dan Henderson
Phil Davis
Lil Nog
Rashad
Gustafsson
Glover
Thiago Silva
Shogun
Bader
Mousasi
Te-Huna
Feijao
Hamill

Which one of these fighters has 'terrible striking'? According to your 90%, a good portion of these fighters should have terrible striking. Since it's top 15, it won't obviously be 90%, but it should still be a decent amount.

Phil Davis, Bader and Hamill have very sloppy standup and the rest minus Machida and Mousasi are mediocre relative to any striking sport. Freddie Roach straight up told Shogun - considered one of the top strikers in MMA history - his punching is ass (throws like a girl). The non top 15 guys generally can't strike well at all.

Look I'm not saying these guys suck. They're among the best fighters in the world but for the vast majority of them their strengths are in grappling (wrestling, BJJ) not standup. Most of these dudes don't even jab.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
[

Phil Davis, Bader and Hamill have very sloppy standup and the rest minus Machida and Mousasi are mediocre relative to any striking sport. Freddie Roach straight up told Shogun - considered one of the top strikers in MMA history - his punching is ass (throws like a girl). The non top 15 guys generally can't strike well at all.

Look I'm not saying these guys suck. They're among the best fighters in the world but for the vast majority of them their strengths are in grappling (wrestling, BJJ) not standup. Most of these dudes don't even jab.

Why are you comparing them to professional strikers? They're MMA fighters. Of course, their striking is not going to be up to par. Similar to how most of the world's best kickboxers have mediocre to decent hands when you compare them to professional boxers. Look at Kyotaro, one of the world's best kickboxers, he pretty recently got KO'd by a journeymen in a boxing match.