Was/Is Obamacare(ACA) a failure or success?

ACA/Obamacare failure or success?

• Failure

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Success

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
The ACA has 3 major flaws IMO. It underestimated the stupidity of the conservative base. I mean the fools who hate “Obamacare” but love the ACA. The people who cry on TV demanding Trump repeal Obamacare then cry on TV when they lose their ACA coverage.

Second, Obama shouldn’t have made concessions to all those bullshyt Republicans who acted like they’d support it then laughed about it when they got their demands to weaken the final bill. Should have CAmby’d them and kept it moving.

Third, Obama should have beat Harry Reid’s stupid old ass for making Democrats run under the “pretend it didn’t happen” instead of “defend and explain” the ACA. Totally fukked up public perception (see #1)

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When Obamacare first came into effect I was on my parents medical plan. After I got a job and got on my own plan I've been in the Obama care system. So basically I don't really know what life was like before Obamacare and considering Rethugs failure to repeal it a year after the fact it looks like I may never know. Either way just trying to gauge the temperature of ACA as a whole.

If a similar thread to this exist you can delete it and point me to that thread.
When Obamacare first came into effect I was on my parents medical plan. After I got a job and got on my own plan I've been in the Obama care system. So basically I don't really know what life was like before Obamacare and considering Rethugs failure to repeal it a year after the fact it looks like I may never know. Either way just trying to gauge the temperature of ACA as a whole.

If a similar thread to this exist you can delete it and point me to that thread.
most people in here can't answer this poll just like most people can't answer it outside of thecoli?

The reason most people can't answer is because they dont know much about health insurance. Lets be clear. MOST PEOPLE do not know much at all about health insurance until they have to have it and have to USE it. you can be on a job working and paying for that insurance but due to being relatively healthy and not loving the doctor's office. you never or rarely use your insurance outside of urgent care if that flu hits you too hard or maybe you go in for that physical. outside of that how many of yall reallllly have to use your insurance? how many of you know for instances how many lets say psyche visits you have? doesnt mean you're crazy, people go to talk to a counselor or usually a psychologist because the insurance companies are too cheap to pay for an actual psychiatrist. which is usually better at helping people than the former. They only have X amt of visits. What happens when you run out? who pays? how much do you pay? do you stop going even though it was working?

Thats just a small example of needing healthcare than later finding out it aint unlimited. Then you;re stuck with that question. can i really afford it?

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
:salute: to the opinions in here. Got to do some research on the topic before I make an informed nuance take. As someone whose adult life has been born into the system I'm obviously a bit ignorant to it's shortcomings.

That's cool.

I'm 36 and have been in the work force since 2004.

Before obama no one ever had an answer to why healthcare was so high. We just kind of accepted the rising costs of healthcare every year (5-10%). Back in 2005 I remembered a coworker blaming smokers for the rising costs. It was always the sick patients and frivolous lawsuits; never big pharma and their price gouging, doctors overbilling, or the unethical practices of healthcare companies.

shyt was bad. At the very least obama got the conversation started for universal healthcare. I see the ACA as a step for getting there.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nah it's not. The public option proposals put forth had different reimbursement rates, eligibility criteria etc. The public option is a competing set of tax funded health plans.

A public option is a government funded insurance plan that competes with private insurance rates. By definition the Medicaid expansion is a public option. If has higher reimbursement rates than straight Medicaid. The problem is that the rates aren't much higher, and payment is often an annoying process.

All they have to do is increase the reimbursement and raise the income cap. It'll be a gradual process, and obviously it'll be stalled at times by republican admins.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
It's only a failure if you don't know how to use it to your advantage.
How can someone in a state where the exchange failed and left use it to their advantage? Plus I know people on ACA whose max out of pockets are like 10x as high as my company plan's. Premiums are out of control. "B-b-b-but the Republicans!" There should have been check valves and guardrails to protect it from their sabotage. It's a failure period.

• Dap
Reactions: ill

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
How can someone in a state where the exchange failed and left use it to their advantage? Plus I know people on ACA whose max out of pockets are like 10x as high as my company plan's. Premiums are out of control. "B-b-b-but the Republicans!" There should have been check valves and guardrails to protect it from their sabotage. It's a failure period.
The ACA act is a failure because republicans have made laws to undermine it? :hhh:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
It's a failure because it had no public option and was on shaky ground before Republican meddling.
This was included in the initial vote on the bill and was voted against by virtually all republicans, but dramatically torpedo'd by Lieberman. Republican meddling of ACA was there from Day 1 via congress and through litigation. :dwillhuh:

States that accepted Medicare expansion all seem to be doing better off than before. :patrice:
The changes to insurance were beneficial with regard to care and coverage. :patrice:

Are you saying that no healthcare bill is good, even if it does most of what it's intended to do, if it isn't single payer/public option? :patrice:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Are you saying that no healthcare bill is good, even if it does most of what it's intended to do, if it isn't single payer/public option? :patrice:
ACA wasn't. They compromised to the point that it wasn't worth implementing. Yea we got more people insured... with $25K max out of pockets and mandates. Regardless of how they got to the end result the end result was a failure.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
ACA wasn't. They compromised to the point that it wasn't worth implementing. Yea we got more people insured... with $25K max out of pockets and mandates. Regardless of how they got to the end result the end result was a failure.
Do you live in a state that expanded medicare?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It was an improvement but had plenty of issues. I think the signs it was a success come from how the public reacted to the Republicans attempts to dismantle it (even though they just took steps to make it worse in a more incremental approach instead). I'd say the biggest failure here was that Lieberman managed to kill the public option (PodSave guys talked about it on one of their December episodes if I'm not mistaken). But it wasn't the final piece of the puzzle by any stretch and hopefully we move toward more improvements when the Dems do get a chance to try again.