Was there ever a consensus of the greatest rapper in the world?

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
They are many you have to expound on what is considered great. I have my view but

Rakim.

Rakim has probably influenced more people that some would like to believe. Nas is influenced by Rakim, Kool G Rap. While everybody had the Das Efx thing going. I think Rakim stoic approach is what set him apart. He has a good discography, but i don't consider it to be all the way great giving the space he leaves between dropping albums. Also peppering in the 5% teachings. Sure you had other guy like Brand Nubian, Poor Righteous Teachers, etc but it wasn't a thing like Rakim. Still can make a verse and not curse and it'll be hard. I also think this is where Nas got the style where one bar would clash into the next . Making it sound like a run-on so to speak. Not to mentioned Nas was called the 2nd coming of Rakim.

Also and this is up for debate Canibus. Sure we can argue and poke fun at him about the whole "30-page of rhymes" and the Dizaster battle, but you have to remember something. This is the same cat who made Common rewrite his verse on "Making A Name For Ourselves", the same who is mentioned along side Big L in a Nas interview as being a threat. We would like to poke fun of the 'LL Cool J battle. However if you really listen to Bis, you'll realize that he influenced the new generation of battle Mcs.. "Hit you so hard your shoulder blades touch", no one came close in that 90s era saying those type of exaggerated over the top punchlines and metaphors. Only one you can say was on that to a extent was Big L, Chino XL,. However Chino didn't have that same influence. And a gripe i have with chino is he packs too much in a bar. Theres rapping and then theres rapping just to rap and not being structure. If you rhyming "conscious" for example there's no reason it should be so many syllables before getting to say "pompous" unless it a sort in and out where you have inner rhymes. Personally, I Bis place in my top 15.

Tupac is another, I won't argue if he was a lyricist or not. The important thing is he knew how to get his point across. when it comes to the ability to convey emotions, he's the best. I know certain songs have more effects on the psyche upon hearing them for some people. Think Dear Momma. Or Brendas Got a Baby. Certain artist come close to conveying that emotion like Ghostface. But Tupac was God tier. Also his work ethic is unmatched in this Industry. Today we're living in a era of the EP, 7 song is sufficient era. Thats cool and i understand it, but Pac was set and go.

Greatest group : Bone
Greatest lyrical group : WU

Last edited: