Weightlifting and punching power

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
i aint trying to fight nikkas and mess up my beautiful hard working created body.

:camby:

hypo666

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Weightlifting might not be fundamental in a boxing match,where there is a referee, but size especially if it is muscle can really help in a street fight. It's not the only thing or even the most important thing, but it is certainly very useful in certain situations. Not least that looking the part, even if you can't fight for shyt ,can put people off to begin with and find someone weaker looking if they don't know you can't fight for shyt. I can't fight for shyt, but my sheer size, has got me out of several sticky situations. Which has meant,not ending up in hospital if I got the worst of it or a police cell,if by some miracle the dude I fought was even more of a p*ssy than me. Very useful in my view.

And apart from trained fighters, the average joe who is bigger ,tends to punch harder. It's why again generally being thumped by a woman,hurts less and causes less damage than being thumped by a man.If you are unfortunate enough to have ever seen a man fight a woman ,a man who doesn't give a shyt she is a woman, ,you will witness said woman being launched through the air you will see what Iam talking about.

Of course with training fighters, not average joes, there does come a point where being to muscular can actually have a detrimental effect on punching power,because you are far too tight,where trying to throw punches and not as loose as a less muscular man would be.It's a bit like throwing a punch with a tight coat on. You notice in some street fights ,guys take their jackets and tops off before swinging.

An excellent example of what Iam talking about here is Britains frank bruno,a truly massive boxer for his era . Not only did the muscle make him too tight ,it perhaps played a role in gassing him out too early in his fights.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Kinda wild how a number of women can lift similar or heavier compared to those guys back then:

Evolution :whew:. But it's probably the first time those guys ever lifted anything close to that so their body wasn't used to it. It's all about practice, repetition and muscle memory.

semtex

:)
Daps
Weightlifting might not be fundamental in a boxing match,where there is a referee, but size especially if it is muscle can really help in a street fight. It's not the only thing or even the most important thing, but it is certainly very useful in certain situations. Not least that looking the part, even if you can't fight for shyt ,can put people off to begin with and find someone weaker looking if they don't know you can't fight for shyt. I can't fight for shyt, but my sheer size, has got me out of several sticky situations. Which has meant,not ending up in hospital if I got the worst of it or a police cell,if by some miracle the dude I fought was even more of a p*ssy than me. Very useful in my view.

And apart from trained fighters, the average joe who is bigger ,tends to punch harder. It's why again generally being thumped by a woman,hurts less and causes less damage than being thumped by a man.If you are unfortunate enough to have ever seen a man fight a woman ,a man who doesn't give a shyt she is a woman, ,you will witness said woman being launched through the air you will see what Iam talking about.

Of course with training fighters, not average joes, there does come a point where being to muscular can actually have a detrimental effect on punching power,because you are far too tight,where trying to throw punches and not as loose as a less muscular man would be.It's a bit like throwing a punch with a tight coat on. You notice in some street fights ,guys take their jackets and tops off before swinging.

An excellent example of what Iam talking about here is Britains frank bruno,a truly massive boxer for his era . Not only did the muscle make him too tight ,it perhaps played a role in gassing him out too early in his fights.

Sidenote: Tyson looked amazingly lean for 5'10" 220

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
The hook's real power comes from rotation of the body, not the pecs. The pecs' main job in the hook is to hold the upper arm in place.
The jab is more dependent on the pecs' strength, as the arm follows the same motion as when it is performing a bench press.
That was what was so brutal about Mike Tyson

Dude had arms and a chest and all that but the way he would pivot :damn:

It was like he would keep his upper body and arms still and just pivot around his hips to hit brehs.... his punching form was efficient as fukk... couple that with his beast physique :lupe:

But yea you are 110% right..... any kind of power punch has to have an element of core rotation...

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
As people already said, it's the twist of the torso that really gives a hook it's power. Your whole body is shifting in the same direction as the punch if done correctly it's more pronounced in the upper body than it is in the lower, the front leg just pivots along with the punch while the core and upper body focus for both power and maintaining stability on the follow thru. Weight lifting isn't as essential as calisthenics but it does help, at the same time you don't want to be too bulky if you're a Boxer.

Daps
Reppin
California
I'm glad yall talking about this. I am always trying to increase punching form. That Mike Tyson analogy sounds pretty on point. Though he is an anomaly in itself given the beast he was in his prime but the principals are still admirable as fukk.

KnockoutKing

Rookie
Daps
Punching power has nothing to do with lifting weights but the strength of your grip
Start doing finger push ups, these strengthen your grip incredibly
Here's a progression I made for myself
Progression
50 finger push ups on knees
50 finger push ups
50 finger jump push ups
50 finger clap push ups
I added the claps because doing them explosively will strengthen the fast twitch muscles improving handspeed
Speed is power as well

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
Cable rows that mimic the jab, hook and uppercut are a crucial part of my workout plan. Knuckle push ups helped a lot but jabbing with an extra 30-60 pounds pulling you back coupled with good technique have improved my form, accuracy and punching power

semtex

:)
Daps
Punching power has nothing to do with lifting weights but the strength of your grip
Start doing finger push ups, these strengthen your grip incredibly
Here's a progression I made for myself
Progression
50 finger push ups on knees
50 finger push ups
50 finger jump push ups
50 finger clap push ups
I added the claps because doing them explosively will strengthen the fast twitch muscles improving handspeed
Speed is power as well
towel pullups >>>

KnockoutKing

Rookie
Daps
:dahell: Fam...ain't you afraid of breaking something? Fingers bend at awkward angles all the time 'cause of the joints. :dahell:
Don't it on a hard surface
Plus don't rush into it
The progressions
Do it slowly
Should take a year to reach that level
Plus and most importantly
On a soft surface
Not on concrete ground

KnockoutKing

Rookie
Daps
Yeah another thing for power is putting your hips into it