Westside Gunn making the roc nation move?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
It's not about mainstream radio. It's about having a unique sound that people may gravitate to if they knew it existed. This video has 200k views but it might have 2 million if he had better promotion and more access. You can't tell me Joey Badass can move units, but these dudes can't. Gunn has that youthful obnoxious energy that teenagers gravitate to.

I see your point but I do think there's a difference.

Joey Badass isn't making album covers that show real graphic violence like this

VERY NSFW!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

And most of Gunn's lyrics involve pure gun talk, selling drugs, and killing people. The Gunn and Conway lane is basically the Mobb Deep lane. They have similar topics, and Gunn does have a cool voice and energy, and I was one of the earlier people on this board talking about Gunn and Conway, so I'm not hating at all. I dog their music, and I'm waiting for Conway's new project to drop. And I thought Conway's verse on The Cow is a top 5 verse of 2016.

But I really don't see Gunn or Conway moving units. I think it's cool that the vinyl for Flygod sells for hundreds of dollars. So I'd love to be wrong about them moving units. But Joey Badass has a slightly broader appeal to mass groups of people IMO. Maybe not by a lot, but by a little.

Gunn and Conway IMHO walk the line on sometimes doing stuff just for shock at times.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Would just be distribution and management, i.e. getting them some interviews outside of Shade 45, promoting the videos better, etc.

I like Conway as a rapper and Daringer has cool beats but overall sometimes they feel like a 90s east coast cover group. Real weak hooks and I'm not sure how this would translate at a live show.

I remember Questlove saying he was trying to get Hov into Marcberg. If Hov didn't like Roc Marciano I can't see him liking these guys.

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
"You might have to sit this one out, boss"

You can say old this, old that all day, but old nikkas are actually out here selling records and topping the charts. These young nikkas you think are the future of hiphop can get 80 million views on Youtube but can't sell 80,000 records because the fanbase ain't really there.

The numbers and facts are there, like it or not. :yeshrug:

No thats not the case at all... Older acts are going to sell records, because their fanbase still believes in the process of actually buying a record. But they can't sustainably tour the same way a Uzi Vert or Thugga can. It's apples to oranges. Sales arent a good judgement of popularity nowadays. This the only website where nikkas actually care about such a dated model of judging things.

Your not gonna tell Dante Ross that Uzi isnt hotter than Tribe RIGHT NOW. There legacy is cemented obviously. But its a new time.

My point is these nikkas are close to 40, they have a style of the 90's they arent going to appeal to a newer base. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Let's stop getting mad at the industry, like they NEED TO BE MAINSTREAM TO BE VALIDATED AS ARTIST.

Nobody holding these nikkas back. They are what they are and what they are going to always be. They will probably go a little higher. AND THATS FINE. They not transcendent artist.

WHY AM I GETTING NEGGED FOR STATING THE OBVIOUS?
:ehh: Hope whatever they've got planned works out for them. They deserve it grinding like they have for the past few years or so. They've built a solid foundation.

:skip:@ dude implying they have to make club bangers or something to have any kind of success. It's a bit like complaining about a Earl Sweatshirt album not being turnt up enough.

Earl is new and innovative these nikkas are not. Thats not my point, its not about making a "club banger". "Yonkers" was a dynamic record. Thats not a "CLUB BANGER".

It's about the fact nikkas on here saying they the best in NY (they not even from NY) and that they are somehow being held back or blackballed when they make a niche type of revivalist music. They are basically a good cover band.

They good where they are, they will have good careers. But they damn sure not what Earl and Tyler were, not what Rocky and Ferg was, those nikkas were stars and a breathe of fresh air. These nikkas are gangsta rap retreads from the 90's.

Ya'll still have yet to tell me what I said thats wrong.

Im not saying they wack. They good at what they do. But what makes them better than any other nikka with this style?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's not about mainstream radio. It's about having a unique sound that people may gravitate to if they knew it existed. This video has 200k views but it might have 2 million if he had better promotion and more access. You can't tell me Joey Badass can move units, but these dudes can't. Gunn has that youthful obnoxious energy that teenagers gravitate to.

Joey is young and makes catchier music. He has some female fans. He built a fanbase over years and now can tour effortlessly and make music. These guys are older, don't make catchy music, and have zero female fans lol. Nor have they toured much....

It's apples to oranges. A lot of kids in NY were fukking heavy with that first Joey mixtape and he had buzz. I don't see that energy with these guys.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Still can't tell me what appeal these nikkas have outside what I stated, can't tell me something they brought to the game that wasn't already there, what original about them, r they good storytellers? Do they switch flows at least? Off brand fake Raekwon raps...

You want me to repeat what nikkas been telling your goofy ass this whole thread?

Nah I'm good.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Why we getting mad at the homie when in many threads about these wack dudes ya throw slick shots talking about "this that real ny sound" or "if they was from nyc they would considered saviors" stop fronting like he throwing it out strawmans, you cats stay saying slick ish on here regarding new ny and now that you are being engaged ya deflecting or claiming ya never been annoyed these wack nikkas ain't being pushed.

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:stopitslime:
teenagers where? not in no fukking NY.

thats my poiint, them nikkas have a lane. Dudes complaining like these nikkas supposed to be hotter than A Boogie or Dave East. They from Buffalo NY, they old, they rap with no rhythm or swag. It's off brand QB 90's rap. This shyt for white nikkas who go to shows to nod off beat, and old nikkas who out of touch like @wizworld who think Westside Gunn can appeal to teens. LMAO... young dudes listen to A Boogie and Migos nikka. These dues are boring and they dont really have bars like that.

You're trying too hard. I'm in NYC and I've heard 2 or 3 kids bumping them. Promotion can turn 2 to 20.
And yeah they have somewhat of an "oldhead" fanbase too. So? I see no issue besides ya corny azz trying too hard to sound like you know every member of their fanbase.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
No thats not the case at all... Older acts are going to sell records, because their fanbase still believes in the process of actually buying a record. But they can't sustainably tour the same way a Uzi Vert or Thugga can. It's apples to oranges. Sales arent a good judgement of popularity nowadays. This the only website where nikkas actually care about such a dated model of judging things.

Your not gonna tell Dante Ross that Uzi isnt hotter than Tribe RIGHT NOW. There legacy is cemented obviously. But its a new time.

My point is these nikkas are close to 40, they have a style of the 90's they arent going to appeal to a newer base. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Let's stop getting mad at the industry, like they NEED TO BE MAINSTREAM TO BE VALIDATED AS ARTIST.

Nobody holding these nikkas back. They are what they are and what they are going to always be. They will probably go a little higher. AND THATS FINE. They not transcendent artist.

"Dated model of judging things"...but why do I get the feeling that if these lil nikkas were actually selling records, you'd use that to bolster your argument? :jbhmm: Record sales never matter...until they do.

You're getting negged because you come in here on some "these nikkas sound old and you white for liking them." These dudes put out good music and are building a fanbase...I'm sorry you can't accept that because you personally don't like them. :manny:

Why we getting mad at the homie when in many threads about these wack dudes ya throw slick shots talking about "this that real ny sound" or "if they was from nyc they would considered saviors" stop fronting like he throwing it out strawmans, you cats stay saying slick ish on here regarding new ny and now that you are being engaged ya deflecting or claiming ya never been annoyed these wack nikkas ain't being pushed.
You finally got somebody to co-sign you and now you his best buddy :mjlol:

I need a Conway smiley because that laugh is the perfect reaction for this :pachaha:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i hope they just stay independent. they making waves as it is

i guess being on the ROC would put them over the top though

what do you think roc nation is?....it's pretty much koch records with a bigger name behind it, so people get more exposure, opportunities, etc......

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
"Eatin in the same mess hall as emmory jones" Con was there wit the legend, comes home goes hard and the legend got heem plugged. Thoro. "baggin up white in the middle of rooms, had me up in elmyra in the middle of june" Benny is a better rapper than 80% OF YOUNG NY nikkaS. And he lived it, thoro. Im a fan of reality rap. I lived thru it if i hear about it it should come from real nikkas. "been to feds twice, the price you pay for a mean run". Certain kinda nikkas relate you not 1 of um.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
"Dated model of judging things"...but why do I get the feeling that if these lil nikkas were actually selling records, you'd use that to bolster your argument? :jbhmm: Record sales never matter...until they do.

You're getting negged because you come in here on some "these nikkas sound old and you white for liking them." These dudes put out good music and are building a fanbase...I'm sorry you can't accept that because you personally don't like them. :manny:

You finally got somebody to co-sign you and now you his best buddy :mjlol:

I need a Conway smiley because that laugh is the perfect reaction for this :pachaha:

Them nikkas trash and that's why the NYC posters don't mention these clowns, ya can keep on crying that they not getting pushed. They belong in the bushes like roc Marciano and mayhem lauren.

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
i think 'The Cow' off Hitler 3 showed alot of depth from Conway. they mostly stay in the goon/fashion lane but Hommy and Conway got bars lowkey

as far as the RN possibility, im sure they'll let them do what they want just gives them more exposure. cant hurt, they'll never be Billboard guys but i could def see a lane for them for a number of years. keep the prod tight and keep the core 4 mc's around
Mach Hommy left GxFR :francis:

nahnah

Superstar
Daps

Earl is new and innovative these nikkas are not. Thats not my point, its not about making a "club banger". "Yonkers" was a dynamic record. Thats not a "CLUB BANGER".

It's about the fact nikkas on here saying they the best in NY (they not even from NY) and that they are somehow being held back or blackballed when they make a niche type of revivalist music. They are basically a good cover band.

They good where they are, they will have good careers. But they damn sure not what Earl and Tyler were, not what Rocky and Ferg was, those nikkas were stars and a breathe of fresh air. These nikkas are gangsta rap retreads from the 90's.

Ya'll still have yet to tell me what I said thats wrong.

Im not saying they wack. They good at what they do. But what makes them better than any other nikka with this style?

I don't really care who's saying who's the best from whatever area, i couldn't give a shyt personally i just listen to what i like. From Asap to these. From a musical stand point they're not breaking any new ground imo. But there'll always be a market for this type of music whether you like it or not - beats to rhymes. It's about balance.

What do want them to do, not try to possibly improve their current situation? The fact is what they've done over these past couple of years off there own back would have grabbed labels attention just through their hard work. If teaming up with a label means they reach a larger audience, good for them :yeshrug: I don't know why you're wasting so much energy getting worked up over shyt you don't like.

Anyhow we are basically arguing over a very vague photograph here :mjlol:

wingstop

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
outbackbread
Them nikkas trash and that's why the NYC posters don't mention these clowns, ya can keep on crying that they not getting pushed. They belong in the bushes like roc Marciano and mayhem lauren.
:mjlol: at roc marciano being trash. You probably like dave sleep though who cant even flow and rhyme on beat