CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Tbh those people were down on it because they didn't want it to be a SoL comedy. I guess given the first episode thats fair, but once Anya got enrolled into the school it became obvious what the show is. SxF does deliver on all the serious arcs when it gets to them. Dog bomb arc, Tennis arc and now boat arc.
Yeah, I never understood those complaints because it was clear that the show was going to be a SoL comedy. It just sucks that crowd got their voice amplified, but I feel that happens with most animes these days.
It comes from manga readers and the promo making the show seem like something it wasn't. I'd know because that's the reason I checked it out myself, I thought the show would be something like a spiritual successor to Lupin the 3rd and it's not at all close to what Lupin is. Plus I think it was a main rotational manga on Shonen Jump which has it's own kind of prestige and standards that people associate with that.

Now that the show has been properly identified and catalogued, there's people who are still keeping up with it that are just complaining because they already invested time in it and want to see it through rather than dropping it.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Yeah I'm not sure if some of this is for everyone because there's clearly a significant portion of people who enjoyed these characters but for some there needs to be a formulaic backstory or mini arc for each one.
I think this is downplaying how much screen time and memories matter in shows, especially anime.

Even if there was no backstory for a character, them having gone through things in the story, seeing them through trials & tribulations, understanding their personalities, aspirations, goals, humanizes them and further creates emotional attachment.

Gohan is a fictional character but I grew up with him, he's a well established character, you can put him in any scenario and I can picture how he'd react, talk, respond in that scenario just like I could a real human being. If you told me today that I'd never see that character in any future media ever again it would legitimately make me sad because I've had so much time to understand him.

Some of these characters in JJK I've seen on the screen for all of maybe 3 combined hours, and can hardly remember their names. The significant portion of people you are talking about will probably struggle to even remember these characters if you asked them a year from now. Vs like what somebody else said, Neji, who died like what...10 years ago, and that death is still talked about today.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
I think this is downplaying how much screen time and memories matter in shows, especially anime.

Even if there was no backstory for a character, them having gone through things in the story, seeing them through trials & tribulations, understanding their personalities, aspirations, goals, humanizes them and further creates emotional attachment.

Gohan is a fictional character but I grew up with him, he's a well established character, you can put him in any scenario and I can picture how he'd react, talk, respond in that scenario just like I could a real human being. If you told me today that I'd never see that character in any future media ever again it would legitimately make me sad because I've had so much time to understand him.

Some of these characters in JJK I've seen on the screen for all of maybe 3 combined hours, and can hardly remember their names. The significant portion of people you are talking about will probably struggle to even remember these characters if you asked them a year from now. Vs like what somebody else said, Neji, who died like what...10 years ago, and that death is still talked about today.
I said some people need a more formulaic setup and you bring up Neji in rebuttal, as if Naruto isn't one of the most formulaic shonen in existence. That's not really a good answer unless you were trying to affirm my original point homie.

JJK is not in that mold and relies more on a more subtle and freeform style. You're not going to get the same feel, build, or pay off you're conditioned to expect if Naruto is your bar. Unlike some people, I don't think that makes JJK superior but it's clearly different.

Personally, I'm going to remember a Nanami or Nobarra or Jogo far more vividly than a Sakura or Gaara or Shikamaru and that's with a 1/20 of the chapters, screentime, or history. You don't have to be with someone for years or watch their entire journey for them to leave an impact if written correctly.

There's a sizeable number of people who agree and a significant portion that would disagree and I'm fine with that.:yeshrug:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I like the direction the show is going, and they're covering topics I wasn't expecting it to cover.I feel they've handled PTSD very well and the Madoka's internal struggle feels so real and the way they connected it to a similar real event.

Also, they've built up Belsorriso team pretty well because I am interested to see what happens to their drivers. Also, they've taken realistic approach of how competitive is to keep your spot in motorsport because many cases of guys thought they were settled and then quickly replaced. I do wonder if the story will focus on mainly F4 or will take a jump to F2 in a season or 2.
I'd say it would take at least 2 seasons to get to that point since right now it is about Haruka getting to be #1 in a race. Theres also the thing where if they do sequel season they could focus on new characters as well.

But honestly assuming they nail the landing I could be fine if they leave this as one self contained story. WIth how good it has been and honestly one of my favorite anime originals.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
It comes from manga readers and the promo making the show seem like something it wasn't. I'd know because that's the reason I checked it out myself, I thought the show would be something like a spiritual successor to Lupin the 3rd and it's not at all close to what Lupin is. Plus I think it was a main rotational manga on Shonen Jump which has it's own kind of prestige and standards that people associate with that.

Now that the show has been properly identified and catalogued, there's people who are still keeping up with it that are just complaining because they already invested time in it and want to see it through rather than dropping it.
That's the one thing I hate about anime brehs and crew's. I peeped what the show was about and just stopped watching. I just conceded that it wasn't for me. Same with MHA. To hate watch and shyt on a show that I don't get. Now you can have legit complaints as long as you keep enjoying it.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
That's the one thing I hate about anime brehs and crew's. I peeped what the show was about and just stopped watching. I just conceded that it wasn't for me. Same with MHA. To hate watch and shyt on a show that I don't get. Now you can have legit complaints as long as you keep enjoying it.
It's mostly due to sunk cost fallacy. Like you said there is a fine line between criticizing a show and legit hate watching. This is even worst with the manga community where people will say a series is dogshyt but continuing reading it.

I'll admit I do criticize MHA a decent point, but outside of the first half of S5 being absolute dogshyt majority my issues stick squarely with Deku. Bakugo, Shoto and Ochako are whom the anime does a better job with. I know better not to touch the manga because my issues would probably just be glorified if I were to read it.

Plus with MHA there is enough that I like that as long as the animation is good I'll stick with it. Unlike with Tokyo Revengers which didn't even had that in S1 so I just never cared to continue that series.

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
Finished Blue Eyed Samurai.

I thought it was one of the better animes I've seen the past year. I prefer 2D animation but the 3D animation for this show was really well done. Characters are well developed (especially the main characters) and the storytelling was elite.

I see a lot of rave reviews for this show online and it's well earned. Enjoyed it more than Pluto (which was also good).

Not sure I would put this on the same level as Arcane because that is GOAT level anime, but this is right under it.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'd say it would take at least 2 seasons to get to that point since right now it is about Haruka getting to be #1 in a race. Theres also the thing where if they do sequel season they could focus on new characters as well.

But honestly assuming they nail the landing I could be fine if they leave this as one self contained story. WIth how good it has been and honestly one of my favorite anime originals.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they go that route of focusing on Haruka's journey to get #1, and maybe conclude with him experiencing what it's like to fight for #1 in a season. They can later revisit him in a different series being in the F1 or F2. I guess the tricky part if they go that route is how they handle different nationalities. I feel it can get messy with some animes when they show other nationalities.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

Regarding Shy ep 10
: Got to say the last few episodes for Pepesha's arc has been really good. Really great showcase for how cruel the world outside of the orphanage was to her. :mjcry: Pepesha was her one spark through all of it. And unfortunately that cruel life separated that from her. :mjcry:

Big props to Shy for showing empathy. Her powers definitely draw off her emotions, which I can safely guess why she was able to hold her own and even and was able to get Pepesha back on track. Big episodes for Pepesha next week.

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.14.16_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.14.20_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.18.10_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.19.50_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.23.18_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.31.41_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.32.15_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.32.21_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.37.22_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.37.57_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.38.46_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.38.50_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-04_at_1.40.01_PM.png

1d1hm1O.jpeg

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Madhouse truly byke :blessed:
I wouldn't say that yet they got along way to go. Freiren and Loving Yamada have been their first decent projects that aren't Overlord since like forever.

For Frieren the biggest thing is the staff. The people they got working on it are great and truly love this series. With that being said if they are there for just Freiren then well thats that. :manny:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I wouldn't say that yet they got along way to go. Freiren and Loving Yamada have been their first decent projects that aren't Overlord since like forever.

For Frieren the biggest thing is the staff. The people they got working on it are great and truly love this series. With that being said if they are there for just Freiren then well thats that. :manny:
No doubt but Frieren is a 6 month long project that is getting rave reviews and ratings, that's the Madhouse we all loved :wow:

I think it's a positive sign that the studio can pull off those kind of projects and be that successful at it.