Which Cardio do you prefer?

• Swimming

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Running

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Daps
Swimming or Running?

Read up on both and they give running the edge by a tad bit.

I run twice a week,2 miles each time

And Swim twice a week 2 miles each time

I like both:yeshrug:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Depends on your situation. Swimming is easier on your body but I think running outside burns more calories time wise. Depends on the person I prefer running because i don't have access to a pool and with running I can start by just going outside.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Swimming or Running?

Read up on both and they give running the edge by a tad bit.

I run twice a week,2 miles each time

And Swim twice a week 2 miles each time

I like both:yeshrug:

swimming is better than running in all aspects, jumping rope is better than both running is a pretty poor form of cardio but its good for people who don't want intense cardio or want to skip weights all together. this aint nikka logic or gym bro knowledge its statistical facts, google that shyt if you don't believe. as a former trainer I would never even suggest a person run for cardio either on a treadmill or down the street, now for general fitness and conditioning I would because its a great way to increase your vo2 max which especially coming from a sedentary lifestyle and wanting to get fit its very important to do so.

if you're an athelete you know how to do 10 yard sprints and run in intervals which is great for you but the general person just running and jogging to jog they don't know what they're doing and ultimately they are wasting quality time that they could be taking advantage of with more effective workouts/exercise for better results.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
swimming is better than running in all aspects, jumping rope is better than both running is a pretty poor form of cardio but its good for people who don't want intense cardio or want to skip weights all together. this aint nikka logic or gym bro knowledge its statistical facts, google that shyt if you don't believe. as a former trainer I would never even suggest a person run for cardio either on a treadmill or down the street, now for general fitness and conditioning I would because its a great way to increase your vo2 max which especially coming from a sedentary lifestyle and wanting to get fit its very important to do so.

if you're an athelete you know how to do 10 yard sprints and run in intervals which is great for you but the general person just running and jogging to jog they don't know what they're doing and ultimately they are wasting quality time that they could be taking advantage of with more effective workouts/exercise for better results.

My untrained, ancedotal view is that long distance running Isn't an effective form of primary exercise. Especially for women.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My untrained, ancedotal view is that long distance running Isn't an effective form of primary exercise. Especially for women.
No. Its great for endurance, and stamina but not as a primary exercise. There are just more effective workouts that target different areas of the body, burn more calories and are less harsh on your body then running/jogging.

the only thing I give running its props for is proprioception which you can only really train by running on gravel or through a hiking trail that has changes in elevation and environment (gravel,mud, dirt, sticks, logs, sand, grass, pavement) thats the shyt that trains your body to unconsciously react to shyt. In laymans terms its why whenever the white people in horror movies run 2 in the forest then evitably fall down, not because its dark but because their muscles and nerves aren't trained to respond to those conditions. You can't really train for that running on a treadmill or running down the street or on a track.

Daps

Why do you feel running long distance is a waste of time? I'm not disagreeing with you,but I do think it can get you in shape if your aiming towards goals and not running to just be running

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Why do you feel running long distance is a waste of time? I'm not disagreeing with you,but I do think it can get you in shape if your aiming towards goals and not running to just be running
It can but as a primary exercise it seems to miss the mark.

Also other ways of training in explosive ways can translate to long distance running but not always vice-versa.

@ocmfII should have some good insight.

Last edited:

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

as i said above, just running isn't doing doing much for your muscles, you can do lunges and body squats and high knees and butt kicks and get a better leg workout and burn more calories. now for increasing endurance and levels of fatigue running a long distance is cool for that, in fact there is one thing I used to do to basically send my body into shock when I hit plateaus in any of my regimens, and that was a full sprint around my high school track. like I said above running on like a hiking trail is good for you, its good for your brain it works your nerves and reflexes better, it trains you better than just running around a track or on a treadmill, i would and do advocate that, however thats not accessible for everyone. In general if you are training for something or just want better overall fitness there are workouts and exercises that are better for you and easier on your joints (knees) than running.

I know that if you are pushing yourself for long distance or longer exercises like 20 laps in a pool or riding a bike at a high pace for a long distance that running is a good workout because if you run with higher effort your going to breathe harder and increase your oxygen consumption, basically stretch out your lungs, and condition your heart/cardiovascular system so your body acclimates better certain exercises and stresses.

a lot of people have trouble breathing in that once they get out of breath no matter if they are squatting, jumping, swimming, running anything they basically quit and thats normal through running you'll be able to condition your breathing and cardiovascular system to take more then as you do more you don't get so winded and that quit factor is gone. so for general fitness and conditioning like Ive said I would recommend it, because ultimately whatever it is you are weak in is going to be your downfall. but as a primary exercise theres just too many other workouts that work more effectively and efficiently.

Im getting older and I understand and respect my time as well as others. It is and would be tough for me to tell someone to run for 30 minutes. Id have to know specifically where they were at in their regimen and what their goals are.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Running isn't turrible, to me its a precursor. For instance, football, basketball, baseball, soccer all involve running however, the reflexes, muscle memory (dribbling -both soccer and basketball) and applied techniques (juking, jumping, kicking as in passing and shooting)

Someone like mayweather is going run because he is going to be breathing hard for close to 60 minutes and in constant motion he needs that endurance soccer too they are going to be back and forth, yet football or baseball running long wasn't essential, we used to do the 20 yard dash in baseball and the 100 for football but peyton manning wasnt running for miles a day (probably this hasnt been confirmed) neither is david big papi ortiz

HE_Pennypacker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
I don't thing one or the other is better, to be honest. It's just an individual thing IMO.

People who say running isn't good are always talking about jogging, and they're right - jogging sucks. Fartlek running and MAS-based intervals will give you phenomenal results in fitness.

EDIT: to answer the question, I prefer running or rowing intervals, because I can't swim for shyt lol.

Last edited:

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
I lose more weight when I run consistent. Now I only run 5 miles a week every Sunday. I do it just to maintain my form and speed. I used to run 8 miles a day and I was light but not defined like I am now. I just finished the 60 day insanity dvds and while I lost some weight I didn't lose as much as when I was running. But my definition is on point.

I like swimming though. The pool at the gym is big and doesn't get used much so I get some good laps in but I really don't lose weight just swimming.