Why a post Infinity Saga MCU has been meh at best

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Eternals and Shang Chi both flopped by CBM standards.
I think they needed to have more universe tie-ins. The characters weren’t strong enough. I actually think if they centered the movie around Wen Wu more, the movie would’ve been better. He was a solid character and actor.

At the end, if they pulled in Wong to the battle, it might’ve made the movie feel more in the MCU. Right now Shang Chi first feel consequential to the rest of MCU. Same with Eternals. If they never happened, nothing changes.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I think they needed to have more universe tie-ins. The characters weren’t strong enough. I actually think if they centered the movie around Wen Wu more, the movie would’ve been better. He was a solid character and actor.

At the end, if they pulled in Wong to the battle, it might’ve made the movie feel more in the MCU. Right now Shang Chi first feel consequential to the rest of MCU. Same with Eternals. If they never happened, nothing changes.

Shang-Chi was fine. It simply came out at the wrong time. It was the beginning of when people were starting to go back to the movies. Had it dropped this year, it would've done better numbers.

No excuse for Eternals. Bad early reviews did it in.

• Dap
Reactions: pez

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
The answer is Disney+ and The Netflix effect.

Disney are over stretching Feige because they need content. He now has to work on movies and now tv shows. Disney want Marvel to pump out show after show, they now need more movies for "Disney + premier releases"

Do shows about Echo and Agatha Harkness need to be made? of course not it's Disney pushing that.

It's easier for Feige and Marvel to manage all this by making things going forward standalones and barely connected.

That's why phase 4 has been constructed this way with new characters in isolation and standalones with no build up to a crossover event. But of course that ain’t what made the mcu and got it poppin or why we’re watching it.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Eh....

Phase 4 has been hit or miss same as literally every other phase. People act like pre-"Infinity War" everything coming out was golden.

The only reason these critiques are kinda odd this time out, is people are comparing phase 4, which is barely half way over....to phases 1-3 which are done.

We'll have no idea how this phase turned out, until mid to late 2023.

Fred.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
There's nothing wrong with the current MCU, people just like to complain. Eternals was mid but everything else has been good.

No Way Home and MoM, were great, Shang-Chi and Black Widow were pretty good, as were most of the streaming shows. I think people are just expecting another Infinity War way too soon.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
if you understand it's going to take years to get to endgame level again you would go into the movies not expecting extraordinary films.
we still don't have x-men, f4 and other better heroes because this phase was planned before they had the rights.
Enjoyed Shang Chi immensely, eternals was ok, no way home was good, haven't seen dr.strange. black widow was meh I feel like if it was released before infinity war it would be a much better experience.
the only thing so far I didn't really like was Hawkeye but it was just because of the Christmas setting to be honest. I actually liked Kate Bishop being added to the mcu(probably because she's cute though :pachaha:)

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
if you understand it's going to take years to get to endgame level again you would go into the movies not expecting extraordinary films.
we still don't have x-men, f4 and other better heroes because this phase was planned before they had the rights.
Enjoyed Shang Chi immensely, eternals was ok, no way home was good, haven't seen dr.strange. black widow was meh I feel like if it was released before infinity war it would be a much better experience.
the only thing so far I didn't really like was Hawkeye but it was just because of the Christmas setting to be honest. I actually liked Kate Bishop being added to the mcu(probably because she's cute though :pachaha:)
Agree, while I would say I didn't like Hawkeye overall I really like Hallie Steinfeld/Kate Bishop and look forward to her being in the MCU. :takedat:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

you're referring to the big payoff.

only thing is the climate has changed. And so has expectations.

Iron Man and Captain America were the heart and soul of the MCU. Now they're gone. No other character has stepped up so far. Those shoes are impossible to fill at this point. Maybe Mr Fantastic does, maybe someone else does. But it won't be the same.

This phase doesn't feel organic. Shang Chi is an extension of Iron Man. And so is Spider Man's story arc. Dr Strange 2 was pure fan service with a unnecessary multiverse. I doubt that version even gets made if not for Marvel's What If? Those cameo's were all disposable.

So nah. It's not a slam dunk. If they somehow manage to fukk up Black Panther, :snoop:

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
They should just do for the X-Men what they did with the Avengers. Give key members their own trilogy movie series (Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, maybe Storm or Cyclops) and have it converge to a 'big' group movie where they're fighting a super villain. Have characters from the Infinity Saga (Dr. Strange, Spiderman, Antman, Captain Marvel) be background characters and play a minor role.

Point is they have to slowly and gradually move away from the Avengers and move onto the next big thing. While slowly fading out the older characters. It's too much cognitive load for the audience to know of each and every character's story/background. Killing off Captain America and Ironman was a step in the right direction.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
you're referring to the big payoff.

only thing is the climate has changed. And so has expectations.

Iron Man and Captain America were the heart and soul of the MCU. Now they're gone. No other character has stepped up so far. Those shoes are impossible to fill at this point. Maybe Mr Fantastic does, maybe someone else does. But it won't be the same.

This phase doesn't feel organic. Shang Chi is an extension of Iron Man. And so is Spider Man's story arc. Dr Strange 2 was pure fan service with a unnecessary multiverse. I doubt that version even gets made if not for Marvel's What If? Those cameo's were all disposable.

So nah. It's not a slam dunk. If they somehow manage to fukk up Black Panther, :snoop:
This makes no sense it’s like saying captain America is an extension of iron man because Howard stark appears in the first one.

As for the heroes excuse you have to give it time. Black panther was going to be that central figure before the untimely passing so that’s why it feels that way to you.
Spider-Man is always going to feel like an extension because of Sony so I don’t care about that.
I wouldn’t call dr.strange 2 unnecessary because the multiverse will obviously come up again

As for fulking up black panther well if they pick the wrong person to be black panther then :francis:

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
There's too much stuff, Inhumans and Shang chi should had been tv shows, no one is asking for an antman 3 and they just keep introducing characters in the post credit scenes, kill or send off some of the old ones if you are gonna introduce 15 new characters each year.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
People are looking for a “heart and soul” but comparing the characters to Cap and Ironman.

But with all due respect and in fairness Cap and Ironman didn’t become the heart and soul off one movie. It took several appearances, hell keeping it buck, some of y’all didn’t even appreciate Cap till his SECOND movie. And even then he still wasn’t the heart and soul yet… it took a couple of Avengers movies for him to secure that.

Everyone (with the exception it Dr. Strange, Antman, and to a degree Wanda) are making their debuts.

So y’all kinda need to give the new characters the same fair chance to grow into that role.

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
There's too much stuff, Inhumans and Shang chi should had been tv shows, no one is asking for an antman 3 and they just keep introducing characters in the post credit scenes, kill or send off some of the old ones if you are gonna introduce 15 new characters each year.
literally said the same thing

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
People are looking for a “heart and soul” but comparing the characters to Cap and Ironman.

But with all due respect and in fairness Cap and Ironman didn’t become the heart and soul off one movie. It took several appearances, hell keeping internet buck, some of y’all didn’t even appreciate Cap till his SECOND movie. And even then he still wasn’t the heart and soul yet… it took a couple of Avengers movies

Everyone with the same exception it Dr. Strange Antman, and to a degree Wanda are making their debuts.

So y’all kinda need to give the new characters the same fair chance to grow into that role.
This
Iron man is my favorite but cap and tony being buzz and woody status wasn’t until civil war.
Yeah downy was loved but that grew over time too.
Wanda is the closest thing we got and you know she’s
not staying dead

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
This
Iron man is my favorite but cap and tony being buzz and woody status wasn’t until civil war.
Yeah downy was loved but that grew over time too.
Wanda is the closest thing we got and you know she’s
not staying dead

Yea some of the complaining is complaining for the sake of complaining.

People gotta stop looking at Phase one as they looked at Phase 4.

If anything, compare it to Phase 1 and this to a degree is a complete rebalance. Not necessarily RESET, but they rebalancing and reorganizing their universe.

This is setting the stage for the next phases and direction they want to go