Why Aren't 'TRADES' Pushed To High School Students? (Like College Is)

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I was having this talk with my mother earlier today. Yeah, I know the answer, but I wanted to make this a topic.

Why is it that professionals from the trades don't give lectures to these high school students. In my opinion that's some sad shyt because NOT every student is college material or cut out for it. If I could go back (smartest kid in my class) I would have taken my A+ cert in my senior year. However, because I didn't know I was bamboozled too. Now, I'm not knocking college at all. Still, trades are just as good. Hell, I took a trade. This year, I earned two certifications (couldn't make it to graduation doe).

Point is, you can make just as much money with trades too. My uncle is a welder and makes bank. I have a couple fam that does HVAC/Electrical work.

Trades need to be pushed to these kids who ain't doing college. I'm still prepping for my cert I'm taking next year. Took the class and passed (A+). Figured PT wasn't for me, but I learned a lot.

Last edited:

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
They had at my high school. Ya'll nikkas need to step ya'll highschool district game up. We had the options to go to Technical schools along with our highschool classes. Also, it was some classes that offered certifications already in the HS I actually learned photoshop in HS and became certified in it.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Dual+Enrollment.png

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Demonization of the blue-collar working since the 70s. Trades are "dirty" and not cool enough, but college, no matter the major is automatically greater....

College degree or apprenticeship, you still have to hustle to make it post-9/11

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
College is basically a status symbol but what I'm learning now is that a degree is what they require to gauge your dedication.

Basically, it's can you stick with some bullshyt....

I think college is full of shyt but even in IT it's a way to prove your worth. Unless you just got a lot of certs...

Which is why that 6 cert bullshyt we joke about is actually real for attaining a 6 figure job at least. Degrees could help offset that though.

I'm all for trade schools though for starting, maybe for chilling too, and you can make bank. But to progress further you either need hella certs, exclusive experience, a clearance, or a degree.