Why Aren't 'TRADES' Pushed To High School Students? (Like College Is)

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
They were at my high school. We had the option to take vocational courses during junior and senior year, and get certified for free. A lot of girls did the cosmetology training. There was also dental assistant, culinary, heating and cooling, hvac, plumming, and CNA. My high school also talked up the trade schools, and business colleges in the state. They wanted to make sure we were gainfully employed, and could tell exactly who could get through college, and who couldn't. They also took one quarter away from gym, and made everyone take a critical reading course, because so many kids were scoring low on standardized tests.

There were kids talking about going to DeVry. I went the college route because that was drilled into my head as early as I was able to understand.

The demographics of my high school was around 50% black, 30% white, and the rest was a mix of Latino, and a few Asians and around 10 Indians, including two Indian exchange students. My freshmen Algebra teacher got really mad at us for failing a test. Everyone failed except the Indian kids. He was an old white man who gave no fukks. He said, and I quote,

:pacspit:"You should be ashamed of yourselves with these scores! Those two over there did better than everyone, and they can barely speak English!!,

:russ: We were dying.

There was one Chinese kid who was super quiet who got into all the advanced placement courses and did calculus for fun. His family owns the local Chinese food spot. You should have seen the look on my face when he showed up at my house to deliver Chinese food years later. I was thinking,

:mindblown: What are you doing???? You could be a rocket scientist!!!
:to:

But a lot of the immigrants around here work with their family businesses, and I respect that.
He probably wasn't all that, you can be good by the humble standards of a random public high school and average in the big picture, actual PhD physicists are a different breed