Why Aren't 'TRADES' Pushed To High School Students? (Like College Is)

Daps
They were at my high school. We had the option to take vocational courses during junior and senior year, and get certified for free. A lot of girls did the cosmetology training. There was also dental assistant, culinary, heating and cooling, hvac, plumming, and CNA. My high school also talked up the trade schools, and business colleges in the state. They wanted to make sure we were gainfully employed, and could tell exactly who could get through college, and who couldn't. They also took one quarter away from gym, and made everyone take a critical reading course, because so many kids were scoring low on standardized tests.

There were kids talking about going to DeVry. I went the college route because that was drilled into my head as early as I was able to understand.

The demographics of my high school was around 50% black, 30% white, and the rest was a mix of Latino, and a few Asians and around 10 Indians, including two Indian exchange students. My freshmen Algebra teacher got really mad at us for failing a test. Everyone failed except the Indian kids. He was an old white man who gave no fukks. He said, and I quote,

:pacspit:"You should be ashamed of yourselves with these scores! Those two over there did better than everyone, and they can barely speak English!!,

:russ: We were dying.

There was one Chinese kid who was super quiet who got into all the advanced placement courses and did calculus for fun. His family owns the local Chinese food spot. You should have seen the look on my face when he showed up at my house to deliver Chinese food years later. I was thinking,

:mindblown: What are you doing???? You could be a rocket scientist!!!
:to:

But a lot of the immigrants around here work with their family businesses, and I respect that.

Black Steph Curry

Lines are being drawn in the sand.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville, AL
HHHzcmk.webp

Got u:getemtiger:

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I agree the education system needs to be completely revamped. Rarely do they teach useful knowledge they just teach you how to memorize shyt.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I actually today just visited a high school in Green Bay that had a whole machine shop in the school that did machining/welding/design projects for local businesses. I was impressed that they had done so much to grow the program and prep these kids for the job market up here which is heavy in need of welders and skilled machinists

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
VOC schools were decimated in NYC :francis:

I'm in Queens and I know many people who went to Queens Vo or Aviation.
And maybe it's for bad ass kids in the Bronx but I got a little cousin in high school who has been taught how to build a house from top to bottom. Carpentry, plumbing, electric.

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
it's a follow the leader phenomenon

high IQ students should be getting a liberal arts education for its own sake (love of learning and cultural benefits) and so they can make the most of their talents in fields like STEM research, engineering, high tier humanities / social sciences academia, or high tier white collar services dealing with complex or abstract work (corporate lawyers, etc)

it would be unfair to leave out late bloomers, poor kids, and just mildly talented people from a chance at reaching the elite fields where higher education is needed so we teach all kids algebra and english literature and stuff like that, in case some of them really gravitate to it and strive to be a historian or physicist or whatever

would most of them be better served learning HVAC and shyt? probably yes but deciding their lives for them before they even finish high school is problematic and no one would go for it

Last edited:

P90

Automatic Ultra Reflex
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk where I’m from / Bahston where I’m at
They had at my high school. Ya'll nikkas need to step ya'll highschool district game up. We had the options to go to Technical schools along with our highschool classes. Also, it was some classes that offered certifications already in the HS I actually learned photoshop in HS and became certified in it.

They were at my high school. We had the option to take vocational courses during junior and senior year, and get certified for free. A lot of girls did the cosmetology training. There was also dental assistant, culinary, heating and cooling, hvac, plumming, and CNA. My high school also talked up the trade schools, and business colleges in the state. They wanted to make sure we were gainfully employed, and could tell exactly who could get through college, and who couldn't. They also took one quarter away from gym, and made everyone take a critical reading course, because so many kids were scoring low on standardized tests.

We had the same thing at my high school, some kids would get vocational training at specific locations. Back then were options for printing, automotive / machining, and a lot of the girls did cosmetology.

EDIT OP is right though, despite this only ~5% of the class didn’t go into a 4 year college