Why don't action stars today like The Rock and Jason Statham......

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Because back in the day rated R movies were marketed towards kids. The Rock and Jason Statham have to be more family friendly in order to reach that same audience. You've never really seen either one of them do so really brutal badass shyt. They just swagger like they do. It's like comparing power rangers violence to john wick violence
Arnold would tear a dudes spine out and quip a one liner while covered in blood. The rock and them are more about stunts. Because of this the Aura felt different.
I almost feel weird hearing the Rock use actual F bombs. seems unnatural. I mention John WIck because thats the type of aura we got from Arnold and Sly back in the day.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
because the action movies today depend too much CGI bullshyt instead of violence
I would also argue that movies today are sold more on the intellectual properties and less on the stars. Are any movie starts as big as the stars of the 80's and 90's? besides a very select few, I'd argue no.

Batman for example is a bigger name than any of the stars that play him at this point will ever be. And that may not be the best example, because Batman has kind of always been a franchise that worked that way, but I hope my point still gets across. I know Hulk wasn't the biggest Avenger, but I really think they could have replaced any of the main avengers besides Downey Jr if they had needed to, and the movies would still have performed very well. If they got Ryan Gosling to be Captain America mid-way through the movies to replace Chris Evans, I think the Cap flicks would still have done the numbers they did.

There are very few original IPs being made into giant blockbuster films, and I think most casual fans care more about the properties than the actors involved.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
For me it’s just too many unbelievable moves these nikkas do in films

jumping over 10 cars while shooting down 100 men and 20 dogs
This is a factor too.

Also, they're just way too comically big. I mean, Arnold was a massive guy, but the action stars today are clearly taking an ungodly amount of steroids (testosterone and/or HGH.) It adds a level of in-authenticity IMO. Kids used to want to be as big and strong as Arnold when they grew up. While not realistic, it didn't look impossible. Every action star today looks like they have to work-out 6 hours day, 6 days a week (which is probably true), just to maintain their physique.

Also, no one has said the elephant in the room, which is simply that (barring a few exceptions) the action movies in the 80's and 90's were objectively better than the action movies today.

I mean Terminator 2, Predator, Total Recall, True Lies, Rocky and First Blood series'...major studios aren't making huge action flicks that good today.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I would also argue that movies today are sold more on the intellectual properties and less on the stars. Are any movie starts as big as the stars of the 80's and 90's? besides a very select few, I'd argue no.

Batman for example is a bigger name than any of the stars that play him at this point will ever be. And that may not be the best example, because Batman has kind of always been a franchise that worked that way, but I hope my point still gets across. I know Hulk wasn't the biggest Avenger, but I really think they could have replaced any of the main avengers besides Downey Jr if they had needed to, and the movies would still have performed very well. If they got Ryan Gosling to be Captain America mid-way through the movies to replace Chris Evans, I think the Cap flicks would still have done the numbers they did.

There are very few original IPs being made into giant blockbuster films, and I think most casual fans care more about the properties than the actors involved.
Exactly this. Stars don't drive properties like they used to.

Honestly, I blame most of today's media landscape on the '96 telecommunications act. Honestly the worst thing to happen to the entertainment industry and while it took a decade or so for its effects to be truly felt, it's really hitting now.

Companies have made it so that titles move the needle and that no actor is bigger than the studios.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a factor too.

Also, they're just way too comically big. I mean, Arnold was a massive guy, but the action stars today are clearly taking an ungodly amount of steroids (testosterone and/or HGH.) It adds a level of in-authenticity IMO. Kids used to want to be as big and strong as Arnold when they grew up. While not realistic, it didn't look impossible. Every action star today looks like they have to work-out 6 hours day, 6 days a week (which is probably true), just to maintain their physique.

Also, no one has said the elephant in the room, which is simply that (barring a few exceptions) the action movies in the 80's and 90's were objectively better than the action movies today.

I mean Terminator 2, Predator, Total Recall, True Lies, Rocky and First Blood series'...major studios aren't making huge action flicks that good today.
What?

You know Arnold n Stallone were both roiding right? There is no era with more comically husky dudes than the 80s

Blaze500

Banned
Daps
do yall think Arnold did roids?, he doesn't look like the massive freaks of modern day bodybuilding

121-01-scaled.jpg

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
What?

You know Arnold n Stallone were both roiding right? There is no era with more comically husky dudes than the 80s
They were rounding but not to the level today. I’m not trying to act like a know it all, but my career is teaching a sport that sadly is riddled with performance enhancing drugs. I’ve never done them but I briefly considered doing a cycle 2 years ago, but I was scared my body wouldn’t make its normal T levels once I stopped, so I decided not to.

The PEDs/gear now is so much better than what they had back then. Cycles are super easy to do and there’s so much info on how to do it. People are bigger than ever that do steroids. They even made a sequel to pumping iron, and Arnold is on record as saying the size of the bodies today puts his era to shame.

Early era Arnold May be a different story. Like Conan and Terminator 1. But once Arnold got to the 90’s his size dropped significantly. Contrast that today, and The Rock is bigger than he was 20 years ago.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
do yall think Arnold did roids?, he doesn't look like the massive freaks of modern day bodybuilding

121-01-scaled.jpg
He’s admitted to using steroids in his early days. He definitely dropped back after the 80’s. It can be really hard to just STOP doing them once you start. Usually once you start (at least with testosterone) you’re on it for life, to some degree. Arnold likely dropped down to a dose that was more appropriate for his age, but not off the charts/ridiculously high.

Arnold has gone on record though that the body builders of today take stuff in quantities that no one in his day was taking, and that bodies are larger than ever.

Arnold is the GOAT body builder IMO though. Him in his prime is still the most symmetrical body builder to ever live, I think.