Why don't action stars today like The Rock and Jason Statham......

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I dont see how arnold and dwayne johnson can be on the juice for so many years and not have any negative effects on their health.

Rock will prolly tone it down in his mid to late 50s. Roids when done with proper guidance aren't really that big of a deal, its the OD to get super massive that can jack your heart up. Think about how big the rock is now compared to them early 2000s movies where he was slim.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist šŸ˜²)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
I dont see how arnold and dwayne johnson can be on the juice for so many years and not have any negative effects on their health.
It definitely didn't help Arnold's heart. He already had an issue with it. And Rock had surgery during his wrestling days to remove his 'bytch t*ts'. That's why he was wrestling with a shirt on at one point.

But to answer the OPs question. It's the whole production. Do any of their films have memorable lines/catchphrases/villians/theme songs?

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Because they don't want to turn off their main audience -- families. You don't become the highest paid actor in Hollywood without catering to Middle American families.

The Rock will continue to make inoffensive action/adventure films since they sell so well.

Last edited:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
1. Action movies don't have the same quality
2. Action movies aren't as big as they were back then. This overall society has far less testosterone itself:dame:
Gone are the days of big meaty men bumping chests and slapping meat:dame:
I mean you ain't wrong about less testosterone but I'm :dame: about @Another Man talking about slapping meat

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
It's already been said

IP's over stars
CGI
Stupid scripts

Statham and The Rock feel almost every bit the stars as Arnold, Sly, Willis...but their movies; with exception of half of Arnold's; relied mostly on practical effects and the actor's charisma.

I'm actually extremely disappointed in The Rock, because I've been a big fan since the wrestling days. But he'll never have the impact of an Arnold or Sly. He may end up with more money than them, but his legacy is filled with trash movies. His most notable films are hopping on the Fast series and high-jacking Vin Diesel's shyt.

But if he doesn't act quick, he'll never have a Rocky, Terminator, Rambo, Total Recall, True Lies. At most he has a bunch of Red Heat's, Cobra's, Looper's and 6th Day's. He does however have plenty of Kindergarten Cop's, Stop or my Mom will Shoot caliber films.

I'd put the Transporter series on the mid-tier Arnold/Sly/Willis flicks like Commando, Assassins or Striking Distance.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
It's already been said

IP's over stars
CGI
Stupid scripts

Statham and The Rock feel almost every bit the stars as Arnold, Sly, Willis...but their movies; with exception of half of Arnold's; relied mostly on practical effects and the actor's charisma.

I'm actually extremely disappointed in The Rock, because I've been a big fan since the wrestling days. But he'll never have the impact of an Arnold or Sly. He may end up with more money than them, but his legacy is filled with trash movies. His most notable films are hopping on the Fast series and high-jacking Vin Diesel's shyt.

But if he doesn't act quick, he'll never have a Rocky, Terminator, Rambo, Total Recall, True Lies. At most he has a bunch of Red Heat's, Cobra's, and 6th Day's. He does however have plenty of Kindergarten Cop's, Stop or my Mom will Shoot caliber films.
shyt I'm wondering how he would do an end of days

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
shyt I'm wondering how he would do an end of days
Arnold actually is an interesting cat. He knows heā€™s not the best actor, but he has tried to expand his range and take interesting scripts/roles. Heā€™s one of the only people do go from action into comedy and do pretty well. Comedy is hard. His comedic timing is good.

And some of his dramatic roles havenā€™t been total flops, which on itself is kind of impressive. Heā€™s taken some interesting roles as an older man. Some havenā€™t landed but others have been okay. I think heā€™s a better actor than he gets credit for actually.

I donā€™t know. I find Arnold to be a pretty fascinating cat. Heā€™s had a crazy life.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Rock will prolly tone it down in his mid to late 50s. Roids when done with proper guidance aren't really that big of a deal, its the OD to get super massive that can jack your heart up. Think about how big the rock is now compared to them early 2000s movies where he was slim.
A few weeks ago I was watching The Rock's induction speech for his father at the 08 hall of fame and he looked like a completely different person. He was fukking tiny compared to now.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Many have said it, and it's a conversation for it's own thread, but IPs are the movie stars with blank squares for actors to fill.

I've said for years that Dwayne needs his own movie franchise to call his own but he seems comfortable with just filling in the starring roles for these Jumanji, Jungle Cruise, Hercules, San Andreas IPs. At least Statham has the Trainsporter movies :manny:

1. Action movies don't have the same quality
2. Action movies aren't as big as they were back then. This overall society has far less testosterone itself:dame:
Gone are the days of big meaty men bumping chests and slapping meat:dame:
You are right though. The machismo isn't there anymore. Boys, teenagers and men all looked up to Arnold and Sly growing up and put them on a pedestal of physique, whether they were juicing or not. Nowadays they can just open up Instagram.

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
Many have said it, and it's a conversation for it's own thread, but IPs are the movie stars with blank squares for actors to fill.

I've said for years that Dwayne needs his own movie franchise to call his own but he seems comfortable with just filling in the starring roles for these Jumanji, Jungle Cruise, Hercules, San Andreas IPs. At least Statham has the Trainsporter movies :manny:

You are right though. The machismo isn't there anymore. Boys, teenagers and men all looked up to Arnold and Sly growing up and put them on a pedestal of physique, whether they were juicing or not. Nowadays they can just open up Instagram.
Me and my boys were talking bout shyt like that here recently. This new generations different. Me and my friends grew up sparring in martial arts and boxing and shyt along with workouts for fun, cuz we were raised by men who did the same growing up. shyt that men should be doing. That shyts considered "toxic" now though because society itself has become so feminine.:scust::dame:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
If you take testosterone injections, it's not that unhealthy as long as it's not crazy doses. Arnold definitely fell way back at a younger age. I'm sure he still takes injections (you pretty much have to keep it going forever once you start) but the steroid abuse wasn't as bad in his day as it is now. Once he got out of bodybuilding and into films, he would go on to deflate considerably by the 90's. Also, there's a lot of new science suggesting that even a 1 month cycle of testosterone can have permanent ability for you to gain lean muscle mass more easily. There are also so many kinds of steroids. Pure testosterone (which is mostly what they had back in Arnold's lifting prime) is less dangerous than some of the stuff that's out there now. Arnold never took as much stuff as someone like Ronnie Coleman (feel free to google him; it's crazy), and he didn't have access to the crazy shyt that Ronnie and people now are able to take, so Arnold avoided ruining himself and his health.

Regarding The Rock, I'm more worried about his long term health, because he's almost 50 and he's clearly doing some pretty heavy stacks. For Pain and Gain he got way bigger than he'd ever been as a pro wrestler. The good thing The Rock has going for him is a fukk ton of money to pay for the highest levels of science and knowledge to help him juice as intelligently as possible. I guarantee he's got a team that helps him, does blood work all the time, and helps him adjust his stacks and his cycles. He also is probably able to take the highest quality stuff.

He never stopped doing roids, but once he took acting 100% he lowered his dosage a ton.
Absolutely. Yeah, once you're on gear, you're probably on it (especially at lower doses) for life. The biggest reason I never tried it is I was terrified of having to be on it forever.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

I never thought about this, but you're right. Tom Cruise has Mission Impossible, etc. The Rock could really use a franchise centered around him. It wasn't planned ahead, but Arnold had the Terminator. Sly had Rambo and Rocky. Bruce Willis had Die Hard.

Fun fact. OJ Simpson was originally going to play The Terminator, but James Cameron said he didn't think OJ was a convincing killer.

:dead:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I think the Rock is more into it for the money than legacy but I guess if you have enough money you can set your own legacy. He has production deals with all of these major studios which is why he makes so much money and is the highest paid actor technically. It's smart really if you think about it so he's actually cool with how these studios operate with these IPs. But yea I've come to realize that time has passed and will never really come around again. Different time and just a different world now.