Why don't action stars today like The Rock and Jason Statham......

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
200.gif

:dame:
:dame:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
do yall think Arnold did roids?, he doesn't look like the massive freaks of modern day bodybuilding

121-01-scaled.jpg

I'm not sure if this post is sarcasm/satire or not, lol! Cuz that super early, barely in movies yet era Arnie did very much look both cartoony and obviously roided. Meanwhile, by the time Arnie was a household name, his physique, while still quite massive, was smaller than this and looked somewhat more realistically attainable.

Take Predator Arnie for example in comparison.
b3842e1c4ef4e6a74a2e0bcce0c69195.jpg

He still looks cut TF up and huge, but his head doesn't look too small compared to his body.

And as you can see from these shots below, an also impressive frame, albeit smaller physique in Carl Weathers, doesn't look too dwarfed compared to Arnie here and also looks realistically attainable size.

1457975259-armwrestle.gif

c353a490-eb92-4223-89dd-0756bfb26778-XXX_CP_On_the_set_of_Predator_012.JPG

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It's already been said

IP's over stars
CGI
Stupid scripts

Statham and The Rock feel almost every bit the stars as Arnold, Sly, Willis...but their movies; with exception of half of Arnold's; relied mostly on practical effects and the actor's charisma.

I'm actually extremely disappointed in The Rock, because I've been a big fan since the wrestling days. But he'll never have the impact of an Arnold or Sly. He may end up with more money than them, but his legacy is filled with trash movies. His most notable films are hopping on the Fast series and high-jacking Vin Diesel's shyt.

But if he doesn't act quick, he'll never have a Rocky, Terminator, Rambo, Total Recall, True Lies. At most he has a bunch of Red Heat's, Cobra's, Looper's and 6th Day's. He does however have plenty of Kindergarten Cop's, Stop or my Mom will Shoot caliber films.

I'd put the Transporter series on the mid-tier Arnold/Sly/Willis flicks like Commando, Assassins or Striking Distance.

I honestly don't think the Rock cares anymore tbh on that level of comparison. I mean, at face value, he's already surpassed all of that with the money and fame he's gotten with his current catalog and such and is probably just content with that. Unless you have a recent interview or something stating otherwise.

The funny thing about you mentioning Willis in the equation too is that he can be credited with the move away from requiring some huge, roided freak in action movies and hollywood going for better actors and everyday average joe type looking cats to do action vehicles. Rock and Statham are exceptions to that now, well, technically just the Rock cuz Statham has never been obscenely huge or jacked.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Arnold actually is an interesting cat. He knows he’s not the best actor, but he has tried to expand his range and take interesting scripts/roles. He’s one of the only people do go from action into comedy and do pretty well. Comedy is hard. His comedic timing is good.

And some of his dramatic roles haven’t been total flops, which on itself is kind of impressive. He’s taken some interesting roles as an older man. Some haven’t landed but others have been okay. I think he’s a better actor than he gets credit for actually.

I don’t know. I find Arnold to be a pretty fascinating cat. He’s had a crazy life.

I agree. Bill Burr has a great bit in one of his older stand ups of how great Arnie is.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Action movies are trash now days.
If Sly and Arnold were in this era they'd be in the same dilemma as every other action star.

Dwayne would be perfect for a Rambo dropped off in the middle of nowhere kill a buncha foreigners flick. But they don't really make those anymore, he gotta fight CGI apes and buildings instead.
The loss of practicality is killing hollywood period

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I honestly don't think the Rock cares anymore tbh on that level of comparison. I mean, at face value, he's already surpassed all of that with the money and fame he's gotten with his current catalog and such and is probably just content with that. Unless you have a recent interview or something stating otherwise.

The funny thing about you mentioning Willis in the equation too is that he can be credited with the move away from requiring some huge, roided freak in action movies and hollywood going for better actors and everyday average joe type looking cats to do action vehicles. Rock and Statham are exceptions to that now, well, technically just the Rock cuz Statham has never been obscenely huge or jacked.

Yeah I get he's arguably more famous, movies made more money (without inflation adjustments), but after a certain dollar amount...to me you should want to make something that solidifies your legacy. It's like the athlete who joins a team to get a ring. You want something that lives beyond you. His money will do that, his wrestling legacy definitely will, his business ventures probably will, but I'm not nor any serious movie aficionado will ever put Dwayne in the same vein as Arnold or Stallone.

To me it's just crazy, because he could honestly could do it rather easily by just picking the right movies to be apart of. He could have his production company put it together as well. He's in this weird hybrid Arnold/Will Smith lane...he has the same charisma, but doesn't pick movies with any of the impact that either one of them do.

I get that it's not important to some people, and I get that I am trying to contextualize this from my point of view, but I would hate my legacy to be Jumanji (the original was way better), San Andreas (it's not even a top 10 disaster movie), Doom (could've been a multi-movie franchise in the same vein as Evil Dead), National Intelligence (ok for it is, but this could've been True Lies with the right script), Rampage (just, no), and high-jacking someone else's franchise...

Like he has Covid right now, say he died tomorrow...that's his resume? Part of it is the industry...but The Rock is basically "the industry" now, he can do what he wants and make it good.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah I get he's arguably more famous, movies made more money (without inflation adjustments), but after a certain dollar amount...to me you should want to make something that solidifies your legacy. It's like the athlete who joins a team to get a ring. You want something that lives beyond you. His money will do that, his wrestling legacy definitely will, his business ventures probably will, but I'm not nor any serious movie aficionado will ever put Dwayne in the same vein as Arnold or Stallone.

To me it's just crazy, because he could honestly could do it rather easily by just picking the right movies to be apart of. He could have his production company put it together as well. He's in this weird hybrid Arnold/Will Smith lane...he has the same charisma, but doesn't pick movies with any of the impact that either one of them do.

I get that it's not important to some people, and I get that I am trying to contextualize this from my point of view, but I would hate my legacy to be Jumanji (the original was way better), San Andreas (it's not even a top 10 disaster movie), Doom (could've been a multi-movie franchise in the same vein as Evil Dead), National Intelligence (ok for it is, but this could've been True Lies with the right script), Rampage (just, no), and high-jacking someone else's franchise...

Like he has Covid right now, say he died tomorrow...that's his resume? Part of it is the industry...but The Rock is basically "the industry" now, he can do what he wants and make it good.

Yeah I fully agree with all that.:salute::myman:

Hopefully deep down, he feels that way and may do something about it. Like you stated it, he's so well off and golden on a money maker and has the look and charisma that those types of movies should be a no brainer to create considering all of his full resources at hand. It's gotta be a desire thing to me why it's not more than current industry standards.