Why is stone cold steve austin above rock?

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
If you couldn't be entertained with 1997-2001 Stone Cold (specially 97' and 01') then I just think your wrestling taste is shytty :manny:

Besides, dude was fukking great in 1992 WCW.

There's a lotta cats that weren't watching WCW in the early 90's here (understandable because a lot of it was terrible)

They don't realize you could see Steve Austin had some crazy potential even then whenever he was on a mic, he had shades of that Stone Cold type of aggressiveness in ring and on the mic.

I really don't see a greater than less than with Steve and Rock within the realm of wrestling, both were gonna be great without each other but with is just magic. You get a Flair/Dusty, Hogan/Savage Rock/Austin type of dynamic once a generation if you're lucky.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
He outdrew Austin in 99

Where do people come up with the formula for drawing like when people go to a wrestling show it's not just one wrestler they go for

On the subject rock didn't go over Austin cleanly at mania until Austin's last match...

It's 1a and 1b but Austin gets edge cuz he's the one who tipped the scales and Rock sustained it while Austin was hurt but after Austin and Vince got the viewers back

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Because the buyrates, ratings, and merchandise proved it 17 yrs ago.

Smackdown video games, the show...all of that was with Rock as the key guy. The reason why Rock was in the No Mercy 99 finish was that his segments were getting bigger ratings than Austin/Cripple H drama. Then they put him in the Triple threat and he did the Nov 1st promo coming at Austin and the crowd booed Austin's name. Or the elimination match with DX vs Austin/Rock/Kane/Shane and the crowd ignored Austin and chanted for Rock nearly nonstop.

This guy has to be autistic he remembers specific promos from almost twenty years ago in detail over who got booed and cheered ...i bet you can tell me what happened on the 30th episode hour 2 slot of raw from 1999 in vivid detail

Straw Hat Luffy

Superstar
Daps
fukk op.

No one cares if you have rock over Austin they are both goat.

But to disrespect the god like that....

Nah son

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
This guy has to be autistic he remembers specific promos from almost twenty years ago in detail over who got booed and cheered ...i bet you can tell me what happened on the 30th episode hour 2 slot of raw from 1999 in vivid detail
Or he been watching the network :yeshrug:

James Dean

All Star
Daps
Personally, I cant rate one over the other in terms of enjoyability. BUT...

People really forgetting just how big mid to late 99 was for Rock. And this is once he got going as a face. 99, he was laying the groundwork for his success. By 2000, he hit the ceiling. Even when Austin returned Rock was still killing shyt. It wasn't like Austin came back and Rock never recovered or fell off. Once dude made it, he made it. And stayed there.

This goes for Austin in the 97-98 era. He started kicking off in 97 (like Rock did in 99) and by 98 he was THE man who hit the ceiling. 1998 Austin was Rock's 2000.

99 Austin was still hot but he was on the decline as the year progressed. You can tell by some of the select reactions from fans as the year went on. Austin's slight decline (not in a bad way) was when Rock was starting his rise. 99 Austin is like Rocks 2001 (as far as wrestling goes). Rock was declining in 2001 (not in a bad way) but making a transition (into acting) at the same time.

Austin didn't have this good transition to fall back on and thats why today, Rock is regarded as the more popular and successful man now. When wrestling stars to fade, you make a transition to something else. It didn't quite work well for Austin so he was legit juggling part time WWE appearances and trying to get a break outside of the WWE from 2003-today.

Rock, we know how he ended up. Dude just had IT. And it showed. I really don't think people put one over the other these days.

I mean people will have their preference, and thats fine. Its what people chose years ago when it came to Austin/Rock. Some will be bias. Some just flat out hate one over the other. I see it all the time. But in terms of popularity and success, I think we know won that battle.

Its pretty amazing though, that since 99 we STILL have this discussion. Says a lot about the two.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
yea the rock was better to me as well.

difference is, they protected austin and made him invinceable, while the rock would do too many jobs, and feud with people that austin probably would complain about being in a program with.

They were washed up in 1998-2000? :comeon:

not washed, but with the exception of goldberg & DDP, all of them were on the downside by '99.

im neutral on the argument concerning the way wcw pushed their wrestlers. but they shouldve been working on getting fresher faces into marquee storylines before the floor fell out.

i preferred raw in 1999 because of how fresh the product was, even despite the chitty wrestling. '99 was a weak year for wrestling all-around really.

Last edited:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
not washed, but with the exception of goldberg & DDP, all of them were on the downside by '99.

that shouldve been the year when they shouldve started ushering in the next wave, instead of waiting a year later when the company started having an identity crisis.
Sting was NOWHERE near a downside.

As for Hall, Bret, & Nash they were just as much on the upside as Austin & Taker.

Nash was a top 2/3 babyface in the industry before he turned.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Rock never was the guy while Austin was there. Austin was always higher on the pecking order

thats booking breh.

by the end of '99, rock had already surpassed austin as the man of the hour. but he was never given the torch.

he never even got a significant win over austin thru all those years. that wrestlemania 19 win was some bullchit. some ole inferior minded "my goal is to beat austin at wrestlemania" bullchit, which just made the rock look weaker, regardless of the outcome.

i dont blame the rock for getting out of there and doing movies one bit.

Sting was NOWHERE near a downside.

As for Hall, Bret, & Nash they were just as much on the upside as Austin & Taker.

Nash was a top 2/3 babyface in the industry before he turned.

wcw fans never really cared about bret hart.

scott hall used to disappear too much.

as a marquee act, i can agree with sting. and yea, i forgot about nash. i admit, i rushed that post. take this dap breh.

but the overall main event scene was stale by '99. it felt like they were just going thru the motions. now im not the type to say that they should have strapped rockets to the back of their midcard, but they shouldve began to slowly elevate some of them. wcw was too segegated. you would rarely even see big stars cross paths with the top midcarders, let alone wrestle them. a guy like say jericho taking a hard-fought loss to say a macho man on nitro or thunder wouldve been a great look.