Women In Hip-Hop

Malaya

Rookie
Daps
Female artists, taggers, producers and such don't seem to be talked about enough in this culture. I was wondering what are some of your favorites.

For emcees, Akua Naru has become my third favorite rapper. She's a jazz oriented rapper that started in NY, but currently lives in Cologne, Germany. She released her second album this year titled The Miner's Canary.

Other female rappers I quite enjoy include:
Bahamadia
Lauryn Hill (of course)
MC Melodee aka La Melodia
Sa-Roc
Lil' Kim
Anquette
MC Lyte
Sammus
Jean Grae
Rapsody
Nitty Scott MC

I'm not actually familiar with female producers in the game outside of Missy Elliot. I really don't know of any others that are of any note. When it comes to taggers and b-girls same thing.
In the early 2000's I was introduced to a beatboxer by the name of Butterscotch who started her semi fame to claim on America's got Talent where she demonstrated her beatboxing skills and combined it with jazz.

Here's a vid of her beatboxing

Last edited:

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
I only really like Lauryn hill.

The rest are like crappier versions of someone else

But i do like Bahamadia and Jean Grae

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
Female artists, taggers, producers and such don't seem to be talked about enough in this culture. I was wondering what are some of your favorites.

For emcees, Akua Naru has become my third favorite rapper. She's a jazz oriented rapper that started in NY, but currently lives in Cologne, Germany. She released her second album this year titled The Miner's Canary.

Bahamadia
Lauryn Hill (of course)
Sa-Roc
Lil' Kim
Anquette
MC Lyte
Sammus

I'm not actually familiar with female producers in the game outside of Missy Elliot. I really don't know of any others that are of any note. When it comes to taggers and b-girls same thing.
In the early 2000's I was introduced to a beatboxer by the name of Butterscotch who started her semi fame to claim on America's got Talent where she demonstrated her beatboxing skills and combined it with jazz.

Your avatar:gag:

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
Yeah, Lauryn Hill is 1 of those females that really can rap besides singing.

• Dap
Reactions: Jaz

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Lauryn Hill
Rah Digga
Missy Misdemeanor (fukk the haters in advance)
Lil Kim
I still fukk with Monie Love - it's a shame (classic)
Sa-Roc (I'm new to her these past years so I keep forgetting her name when I wanna google)
Jean Grae i was checkin for back in 04, she still releases but i haven't been checkin. Downloaded them tho
Akua Naru (Nag Champa Gold from the Live and Aflame Sessions is my shyt, matter fact it's 3 songs away on a mix i'm listening to lol)

Malaya

Rookie
Daps
Live & Aflame is great. You should check out Miner's Canary as well.
You definitely need to catch up on Jean Grae, her newest work is terrible in my opinion. She trying to sing now, but Jeanius that came out in 08 is a classic.

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
Best female MC

Also no mention of ladybug Mecca? Smh

Special shout of to lady repo, haven't heard much else from her but I've always thought she bodied trag on this

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London

Bahamadia
Lauryn Hill (of course)
Sa-Roc
Lil' Kim
Anquette
MC Lyte
Sammus
Jean Grae
Rapsody
Nitty Scott MC

The fukk goin on in your avi? :wtf: PAAG shawty gettin ate out by the severed head of a brotha?

Malaya

Rookie
Daps
It's a shame that this has to be brought up. You don't ever hear of the reverse. Their definitely has to be misogynist mindset when you could have a female rapper spit the same lyrics with the same delivery as a male and she doesn't get attention, but when said male does it the talent is acknowledged. A situation like this came up with a male friend of mine and he told me that he wasn't paying attention to it because it was a female rapper, so when he automatically hears an indication of a double x chromosome, it's not worthy of his attention.

There needs to be a correction of this in this culture in order for women to get more prominence. I would welcome people in here praising Nicki Minaj over this shyt.

Also can we get some mention of women outside of rapping? I would love to learn more about producers, djs, and the like.