Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson tweets jokes about Christians on Christmas Day

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Atheists will one day regret consistently repeating this mantra
sure nothing else but a disbelief in "god" is required to be an atheist
but as a social creature that disbelief will come with a cornucopia of social dispositions and many are values we should proudly associated with:
Skepticism
Humanism
Democracy
Justice
Freedom of thought
and Yes, seminally: a respect for the scientific process.

To consistently shrink to this position in order to defend atheism from being ascribed negative qualities is to fall for the jedi mind trick, and to remove from the public imagination, the relatabe and affable diversity of implications that atheism comes with, and to leave a dark corner from which charlatans will rise and redefine atheism for you.
0z4iiM1.png
I do NOT want to corroborate with "atheism-plus"

Lets keep it simple and stop trying to make atheists, liberals.

Other terms already exist for what you're describing.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Atheists bring no science behind them except for what they think science should be. Hence why I brought up in another thread about "Nothing Exists" because that what you believe. Everything you listed in response is a contradiction to who you are on this forum. People have made threads on your exact qoutes from these responses. So save it.
what language is your first language? Cause none of this makes any sense.

I don't believe in any gods. It doesn't speak to anything else I believe or disbelieve

Do you not find it possible to not believe in any deity and still have a whole other host of ideas?

Atheists are not nihilists.

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The moment you realize Jesus was not born on December the 25th is the moment you'll realize why nobody takes Christmas seriously and how much time you wasted on this post.

Damn, harsh. I wouldn't call it a wasted post. But I will say you're right about Christmas not being taken seriously and it's always stuck with me that a lot of historians trace Jesus' true DOB to be sometime in March. But like I alluded to in the prior post, as Americans we worship tradition and tradition doesn't rely on facts or accuracy, therefore from that perspective deGrasses criticism serves as a reminder for folks to check their history. Still not a good reason for him to be a dikk though.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Damn, harsh. I wouldn't call it a wasted post. But I will say you're right about Christmas not being taken seriously and it's always stuck with me that a lot of historians trace Jesus' true DOB to be sometime in March. But like I alluded to in the prior post, as Americans we worship tradition and tradition doesn't rely on facts or accuracy, therefore from that perspective deGrasses criticism serves as a reminder for folks to check their history. Still not a good reason for him to be a dikk though.

Christmas is a worldwide tradition though so you can't use the "Americans will be Americans" train of thought.

I don't think setting the record straight by being historically accurate is being a dikk. That comment and those views reek of censorship. Y'all wouldn't be cool with it for Exodus so why get upset when it involves Christmas?

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
1)Who is "you guys"? Define your terms.

2)Three Abarahamic religions, three important periods to practitioners of their respective faiths during the year; only one of them gets ridiculed by the scientific community on any kind of basis in the US. I took a guess about why that was.

2 of the 3 are offshoot/watered down versions of the original. I wouldn't lump in Hebrew/biblical holidays with Christmas or any Muslim holiday

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
I honestly find this Christmas shyt hilarious. A few weeks ago we were all up in arms about Exodus because it doesn't represent history.

But we give total leeway to an event, a date, that has a completely fictitious and stolen history.

At least keep it consistent. Do you want honesty and historical accuracy in your day to day life or are you cool with bending the truth to feel good?
REALEST shyt I'VE READ IN A LOOOOOOOONG TIME

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Christmas is a worldwide tradition though so you can't use the "Americans will be Americans" train of thought.

I don't think setting the record straight by being historically accurate is being a dikk. That comment and those views reek of censorship. Y'all wouldn't be cool with it for Exodus so why get upset when it involves Christmas?

Ya'll who? I'm not in disagreement with you about Christmas, perhaps you're just looking for an argument. You agree with me about historical accuracy, lets leave it at that. No need to argue the dollars spent by Americans vs. the rest of the world during Christmas, or whether or not deGrasse was being a dikk, and I've never seen or spoken about Exodus so I definitely can't argue with you there. Either way, lets focus more on how we can come together considering we are in agreement about the root topic which is the historical accuracy of the holiday.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ya'll who? I'm not in disagreement with you about Christmas, perhaps you're just looking for an argument. You agree with me about historical accuracy, lets leave it at that. No need to argue the dollars spent by Americans vs. the rest of the world during Christmas, or whether or not deGrasse was being a dikk, and I've never seen or spoken about Exodus so I definitely can't argue with you there. Either way, lets focus more on how we can come together considering we are in agreement about the root topic which is the historical accuracy of the holiday.

Not trying to come at you.

You may not be in disagreement with me about Christmas, but the people who were upset by the tweets were. We can "come together" because we accept the truth, but that's because we did our due diligence as educated citizens. How many Christians have actually looked into the history of Dec25th? How many churches are ACTIVELY teaching the historical accuracy behind Dec25th? THAT'S the problem with this entire situation. All these people think it's disrespectful because they actually believe that "Jesus is the reason for the season."

We're not being intolerant to religious beliefs when we call out religious propaganda and a blatant historical lie. That's some slick reverse psychology BS. That is called censorship.

We can't "come together" until Christians drop this facade that they own Dec25th.

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Not trying to come at you.

You may not be in disagreement with me about Christmas, but the people who were upset by the tweets were. We can "come together" because we accept the truth, but that's because we did our due diligence as educated citizens. How many Christians have actually looked into the history of Dec25th? How many churches are ACTIVELY teaching the historical accuracy behind Dec25th? THAT'S the problem with this entire situation. All these people think it's disrespectful because they actually believe that "Jesus is the reason for the season."

We're not being intolerant to religious beliefs when we call out religious propaganda and a blatant historical lie. That's some slick reverse psychology BS. That is called censorship.

We can't "come together" until Christians drop this facade that they own Dec25th.

I hear you man, but Christians don't own 12/25 any more than "the devil" owns 10/31. You're right, it's about education and the only way things like this change or are brought more to the forefront is through the youth. This is where my tone and approach differ from deGrasse and perhaps yourself because I go about it in a much different way. I have 3 young children, and instead of trying to dissaccociate them from the rest of the world they know in which people celebrate Christmas, I use it as an opportunity for them to show compassion towards others through acts of kindness and reinforce that this should be done throughout the year not just this time of year. This is what my folks did with me and this is what empowered me to seek out the truth. My kids are rewarded throughout the year with gifts based on merit and just cuz we love them, not because 12/25 was assigned the DOB of baby Jesus, lol. But I'm not going to do anything radical that shocks their system like some folks who I know. Different ways to skin a cat :manny:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Christ was a fictitious person. The Ancient Egyptians were not.

According to you he was. According to some Christians the Ancient Egyptians could be led by Batman.

I'm supposed to respect their religious beliefs right :yeshrug:

I hear you man, but Christians don't own 12/25 any more than "the devil" owns 10/31. You're right, it's about education and the only way things like this change or are brought more to the forefront is through the youth. This is where my tone and approach differ from deGrasse and perhaps yourself because I go about it in a much different way. I have 3 young children, and instead of trying to dissaccociate them from the rest of the world they know in which people celebrate Christmas, I use it as an opportunity for them to show compassion towards others through acts of kindness and reinforce that this should be done throughout the year not just this time of year. This is what my folks did with me and this is what empowered me to seek out the truth. My kids are rewarded throughout the year with gifts based on merit and just cuz we love them, not because 12/25 was assigned the DOB of baby Jesus, lol. But I'm not going to do anything radical that shocks their system like some folks who I know. Different ways to skin a cat :manny:

NDT is one of the top scientist in the US, him not doing something "compassionate" on Dec 25th doesn't take away from his yearly duties. I don't get what you're saying…

Secondly October 31st is also the day that Martin Luther posted the 95 theses and is often cited as the start of the Reformation. The fact that you, and many Christians only associate it with the devil is EXACTLY why we're not for this "jesus is the reason" shyt. Time and time again cats twist history to fit their narrative.

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
According to you he was. According to some Christians the Ancient Egyptians could be led by Batman.

I'm supposed to respect their religious beliefs right :yeshrug:

NDT is one of the top scientist in the US, him not doing something "compassionate" on Dec 25th doesn't take away from his yearly duties. I don't get what you're saying…

Secondly October 31st is also the day that Martin Luther posted the 95 theses and is often cited as the start of the Reformation. The fact that you, and many Christians only associate it with the devil is EXACTLY why we're not for this "jesus is the reason" shyt. Time and time again cats twist history to fit their narrative.

Damn man, you're on a mission like a muhhfukka, lol. You totally missed the quotation marks around "the devil" and immediately assigned me ownership of Christian views and assumed that I personally associate Halloween with the devil. I wasn't twisting anything, just stating how ludicrous it is to give power to Christians by stating they own 12/25. Almost like you were waiting for me to state a date so that you could "school" me on the real significance of the date. Didn't matter if I used 10/31 or 2/14 or whatever, you were ready huh? So ready to school me that you missed the point. You're one of those people who probably has the intellectual capacity to bring about some type of change, but lacking comprehension and basic understanding of human nature seems to be what makes your posts come across as sounding like you're frustated. No shots, just what I'm gathering as I'm reading through these posts. Like we arguing over whether the sky is powder blue or baby blue cuz you totally missing that I agree with you that the sky is blue.