Bout to re-enroll in University

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
What are you feeling pressure about, g? You're 23, the world is literally yours if you're childless and have no felonies...

You know I'm rooting for you, add me to the list of people saying you should go back. My only caution is make sure your heart is in it, because if it isn't, it'll be a waste of time, money, energy---->but waste of time doesn't mean you still won't succeed. Just avoid the waste of time if you're not entirely committed to it...

I got my GED in prison at 20 years old. I didn't seriously think about any type of college, despite some people persuading me, until I was 23. I got outta jail at ACCF in Albany NY when I was 23, and this was literally the first moment in my life I contemplated doing something different with my life...

I went and took the SAT in a Saturday class with a bunch of high schoolers, after studying for it for like two weeks. Passed that bytch with flying colors, then started applying to schools as a sociology major, because I had a passing interest in that field since I was young in prison...

I can't remember how many universities I applied to, maybe 4 or 5, but I fukked around and got accepted to Howard, to live on campus, for the 2013-14 school year (at which time I woulda been 24). No one else accepted me, and Howard appealed to me as one of my best friends, my homegirl was from DC and I used to hang out there in years prior, so I was cool with heading to The District...

Shoulda did it. I got accepted around January '13 for the '13-14 school year. I was really excited, again this is the first time I ever even thought about changing my life. I was working a part time job at Denny's as a cook/dishwasher, first time i was really amassing some work history. I was already a 2x convicted felon, couldn't get into JobCorp because of my record; at 23, unlike many peers my age, I had a work history of less than a year and was still one foot in the streets, absconded probation that woulda sent me back to prison, and had a fukking GED, hadn't been to any school since my junior year that ended in '06...

And I got accepted to Howard University on my first application, maybe the most prestigious HBCU there is...

So what happened was like I said, I was one foot in still and my paper really picked up that spring of '13. So ultimately, I decided not to go...

In retrospect, it isn't high on my list of regrets (of which I dont have many anyway). I wasn't even committed to working full time, I doubt at 24 I woulda stayed committed to school. I wish I went for the experience, just to say I went to Howard, since they accepted me anyway. But can't say its a major regret...

When I actually went to school for the first time, was after a third conviction but also beating a more serious charge in Charlotte that coulda put me up for some time. This was 2015, I was 26 years old and started taking classes Summer '15 at a community college. Similar to coming outta Albany, I spent 9 months in jail wrestling some heavy charges and started reassessing my life again, got out, applied to school, but this time I was committed. Changed my degree plan twice until settling on business, and graduated three years later with an associates at 29 (2018)...

Of course I didn't live on campus, and during my three years I had my first child, had another on the way, and was still outside pretty tough before my oldest daughter was born. But I felt a major sense of accomplishment on some "defy the odds" type shyt even though shortly after I came to believe I couldn't use that degree for anything...

Flirted around with going back to school once the pandemic happened and got accepted to a private university in NC (Methodist U) but my heart isn't in it and chose not to follow through with it. Don't regret that decision, I'm at a stage now where I'm more focused on different aspects of elevating my lifestyle and don't really believe in collegiate education anymore unless you get into it young (right after high school or during college-age years like 19-23) or have a full ride. But thats a personal belief based in part on me buying into the thought years back that I couldn't do well for myself without an education because of my criminal history...

I'm sharing all that to help use myself as the example you need it to be for yourself: take however much time you need to make the best decision for yourself. If you aren't committed to anything, you'll waste time that would be better allotted elsewhere. I dont really believe in "failures" at shyt, except for people who just don't really try at life, so a "lack of commitment" doesn't equate to "failure" for me...

It just means you coulda did more elsewhere, enjoyed doing something else, etc. 100%, if you trust and believe yourself on your school plan, do it!
Appreciate u sharin your perspective bro this was very well written

I think I have talents that will be useful to a college all while gettin my degree, just tryna finish strong capitalize on my youth

Apprentice

Daps
Reppin
DMV
Work with major sport organizations doing what breh? Be specific.
Front office positions like head scout, general manager, head of football operations etc. the key here is getting my masters in sport management which is where that business law comes into play. Sport management is a very broad field since its developing most sports been straight nepotism in America so u can be flexible with the undergrad degree

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
who cares 23 ain't that old.. you gonna be around a lot of 18-20 year olds no doubt.

Get you a whole lotta p*ssy young brotha.

Apprentice

Daps
Reppin
DMV
Which one?
I’m at VSU brozay
who cares 23 ain't that old.. you gonna be around a lot of 18-20 year olds no doubt.

Get you a whole lotta p*ssy young brotha.
Breh I feel u but nikkas will say that’s predatory behavior :francis:

slippery slope that’s what’s kinda weird bout it

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
First day Monday let’s get this bread

Any advice for a breh? At a HBCU this my first rodeo

:russ:

Hearing that Americans start school in August always throws me off.

The only tip I can give you is to review the class material the day of and get the assignment done the same day, or one chunk the day of and the rest the next. Procrastination will bite you and have you writing a 5000 word paper the same morning at 5am due at 8am.

:mjcry:

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ll be 23 by the time the next semester start, I’ve completed 2 years of college but been out of school for about a year and a half. Feelin like ima be a old nikka compared to the rest of the students there; and I’m tryna play football

Anyone enroll in school kinda late? How was your student life and overall college experience? Did u feel your age ever come into play when dealing wit other students?
I think I was the same age graduated at 26, its all in your head. mfs in they 50s in that bytch, u good

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was playing d1 basketball when I went back for my PhD in Gender Studies at 42. You got this op:salute:.
I absolutely cannot tell, whatsoever, if you were serious or not with this response. I see the red flags, but then again this is theColi we are talking about…:pachaha:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I’m going back for an undergrad in accounting. I’m excited and I’m mid 30s. Can’t become a CPA without it in Florida.

giphy.gif