Full Circle (HBO Max) l A Steven Soderbergh limited series l Zazie Beetz, Timothy Olyphant, Dennis Quaid

Daps
Reppin
Canada
Yeah, I don't know what happened with that finale; it was quite underwhelming after a pretty solid 5 episodes :francis:

Everything that could go wrong for Louis and Natalia went wrong and they still get to go home to Guyana, although they're all fukked up now. What happens to Xavier after he's killed Garmen? I did like the twist of Sam being the J.M. who gave up Uncle Gene and not Chef Jeff.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It was a solid show overall. But it was missing that :krs: moment to wrap it all up. They didn't do the best job of explaining exactly what Marabir's husband and Sam did and what exactly the crime was that would get her locked up and how Sam's uncle took the fall. Like I know that's what happened, just not quite how it happened. We're just told that it did indeed happen and there was something with some routing numbers. I got the gist of it, it just wasn't as clear as it should have been. It could have also done a better job at helping the audience understand why Mrs Marabir was so enamored with the curse. Maybe something along the lines of how Guyanese people put a lot of stock into curses and whatnot.

There was another part where Sam and Harmony were talking and Harmony wanted Sam to get the evidence because "there were other people all across the US that were doing what Mrs. Marabir was doing.". I know Mrs. Marabir was pulling off some sort of insurance fraud. But I didn't quite understand how the scam from 20 years ago enabled that insurance scam in the present. That's what Harmony made it sound like. As if Sam getting the evidence would reveal others that were "doing what Marabir has been doing".

Overall I enjoyed the show though. I'd give it a 3.5/5

One other thing. Did anyone else catch this? It was during the first episode I think and I think it was either a technical flub, or I just don't understand NYC transit. When Timothy Oliphant's character picks up the money the kidnappers tell him to go to lower Manhattan. He had been driving around and then it looked like he crossed another bridge. After he missed the drop and the "kid" got shot, Claire Danes (Sam) runs out of the apartment and runs across the street and she's in the park where everything is happening. I was ALL THE WAY confused. I just saw the guy driving around, and then he parks and gets out to try to make it to the drop and they were right across the street the whole time? Why did he park all the way down the street if he was so closed to his own building? It just made no sense. I understand that they lived in Manhattan, which was a sore spot for him it was revealed, but that whole sequence seemed off. So like I said, either I'm slow as hell, or it was a huge technical flub or storyboard error.

Last edited:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
For this to be on HBO max, and to have the cast it has, 1st episode coming off like low budget Your Honor (somebody else said it but it gave me the same vibe). And some of these accents are horrible. Gonna keep watching though. Hopefully it gets better cuz I been hearing about it here and there.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The things that worked, were excellent, the Soderbergh colors, the cinematography, set design, the acting was all really impressive.

What a random show? Guyana? The USPS criminal division? The signature Soderbergh attention to detail about crime and law enforcement, in the FBI takedown/task force scenes, the breakdown of federal prosecution in the last scene

The beauty and texture of shots like the plane flying away, the journey from Guyana, the grimy chase scene, the tunnel, the machete, all good scenes.

but the whole thing is just off. Not sure I could 100% explain the plot, but I got most of it. The murder in the hotel room going unremarked upon was a weird moment. The whole show was great quality and I liked watching it, but very little of stuck, besides the signature Soderbergh.

Daps
It was a solid show overall. But it was missing that :krs: moment to wrap it all up. They didn't do the best job of explaining exactly what Marabir's husband and Sam did and what exactly the crime was that would get her locked up and how Sam's uncle took the fall. Like I know that's what happened, just not quite how it happened. We're just told that it did indeed happen and there was something with some routing numbers. I got the gist of it, it just wasn't as clear as it should have been. It could have also done a better job at helping the audience understand why Mrs Marabir was so enamored with the curse. Maybe something along the lines of how Guyanese people put a lot of stock into curses and whatnot.

There was another part where Sam and Harmony were talking and Harmony wanted Sam to get the evidence because "there were other people all across the US that were doing what Mrs. Marabir was doing.". I know Mrs. Marabir was pulling off some sort of insurance fraud. But I didn't quite understand how the scam from 20 years ago enabled that insurance scam in the present. That's what Harmony made it sound like. As if Sam getting the evidence would reveal others that were "doing what Marabir has been doing".

Overall I enjoyed the show though. I'd give it a 3.5/5

Agreed. The ending was a letdown.

Also agreed they didn’t do a good l job explaining what Marabir’s organization really did and why the Postal Service police is after them. Not doing that well let me unsure of when lines were crossed. Like they’re obviously but how gangster are they? Was this kidnapping a step too far or is it right up their wheelhouse? Would’ve helped appreciate all the different characters reacting to it.

I do think they did a good job explaining what happened back in the day. Sam was trying to develop a vacation property in Guyana. To do that, she bribed some politicians and others. To develop the property, she needed to acquire some land but some people refused to sell. Some of the people she bribed were tasked with “convincing” those people to sell. They were bullies and took things too far, including up to murder. Chef Jeff’s “fan/chess friend” was one of the victims. His grandson was murdered in a park right next to his house. Mrs. Marabir’s husband was the muscle down there so him and his organization carried out the attacks. Sam didn’t know they’d be that ruthless (CaC feigning ignorance for their obvious transgressions again :rudy:); she may not have ever met Marabir’s husband, but it became a scandal and ended up killing the deal. Authorities were going after the people responsible so Sam could feel the walls closing in on her. Thus she turned snitch, but instead of giving up her father, she gave up her uncle. Of all the people involved, really only he took the fall. That was a dead case until Mrs. Marabir’s brother or husband got killed in the beginning. That made Mrs. Marabir think the family was cursed and the only one could break the curse was the person who cursed them. So Marabir got the old spiritual dude to find Chef Jeff’s chess buddy and he agreed to lift the curse for revenge and that kidnap/murder scheme was hatched.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Agreed. The ending was a letdown.

Also agreed they didn’t do a good l job explaining what Marabir’s organization really did and why the Postal Service police is after them. Not doing that well let me unsure of when lines were crossed. Like they’re obviously but how gangster are they? Was this kidnapping a step too far or is it right up their wheelhouse? Would’ve helped appreciate all the different characters reacting to it.

I do think they did a good job explaining what happened back in the day. Sam was trying to develop a vacation property in Guyana. To do that, she bribed some politicians and others. To develop the property, she needed to acquire some land but some people refused to sell. Some of the people she bribed were tasked with “convincing” those people to sell. They were bullies and took things too far, including up to murder. Chef Jeff’s “fan/chess friend” was one of the victims. His grandson was murdered in a park right next to his house. Mrs. Marabir’s husband was the muscle down there so him and his organization carried out the attacks. Sam didn’t know they’d be that ruthless (CaC feigning ignorance for their obvious transgressions again :rudy:); she may not have ever met Marabir’s husband, but it became a scandal and ended up killing the deal. Authorities were going after the people responsible so Sam could feel the walls closing in on her. Thus she turned snitch, but instead of giving up her father, she gave up her uncle. Of all the people involved, really only he took the fall. That was a dead case until Mrs. Marabir’s brother or husband got killed in the beginning. That made Mrs. Marabir think the family was cursed and the only one could break the curse was the person who cursed them. So Marabir got the old spiritual dude to find Chef Jeff’s chess buddy and he agreed to lift the curse for revenge and that kidnap/murder scheme was hatched.
The post office got involved because the Guyanese firm was doing mail fraud and insurance fraud (you know check in the mail) yet another storyline stolen from game of thrones.

Remember the wheelchair dude they killed in the beginning or whatever, they didn't want to pay, same thing as the dude at the Bravosi dock, he didn't pay somebody, and the family "prayed" to the many face God to help them.

While investigating, Zazie realized they in more shiet than mail fraud.

Terry Pratchett had a similar story line in one of his books but he called it inn-sewer-rants. Don’t get my started in comparing Ankh Morpork to Westeros, ain't enough time in existence for that! :no:

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also agreed they didn’t do a good l job explaining what Marabir’s organization really did and why the Postal Service police is after them.
From what I could tell, they would have homeless and other undesirables take out life insurance policies, probably pay them a little to do so. After a while, they would kill them and collect the money themselves. I think because they would use the USPS to send fraudulent docs and receive checks, it would fall under their purview.

Daps
From what I could tell, they would have homeless and other undesirables take out life insurance policies, probably pay them a little to do so. After a while, they would kill them and collect the money themselves. I think because they would use the USPS to send fraudulent docs and receive checks, it would fall under their purview.
The post office got involved because the Guyanese firm was doing mail fraud and insurance fraud (you know check in the mail) yet another storyline stolen from game of thrones.

Remember the wheelchair dude they killed in the beginning or whatever, they didn't want to pay, same thing as the dude at the Bravosi dock, he didn't pay somebody, and the family "prayed" to the many face God to help them.

While investigating, Zazie realized they in more shiet than mail fraud.

Terry Pratchett had a similar story line in one of his books but he called it inn-sewer-rants. Don’t get my started in comparing Ankh Morpork to Westeros, ain't enough time in existence for that! :no:

Yup, I eventually got that too. I just think they did a poor job explaining it.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Understood why the USPS inspectors would be involved, it's just weird lol

and then all the highly technical, and highly accurate stuff about sentencing guidelines and FBI task forces

where was it coming from? Not sure how accurate tunnels in houses out in Queens and private landing strips, but that part was really dope.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Understood why the USPS inspectors would be involved, it's just weird lol

and then all the highly technical, and highly accurate stuff about sentencing guidelines and FBI task forces

where was it coming from? Not sure how accurate tunnels in houses out in Queens and private landing strips, but that part was really dope.
That wasn't a private landing strip that was a private landing spot on the East River :laff: I'm sure somebody in a tower was told something but it wasn't that big of a deal.

(Some sports show I watch this weekend where they made fun if some athlete because he didn't know the East River was east of Manhattan thus the name, I think it was Get Up. In GTA 4, they have a west river between Algonquin [Manhattan] and Aldernay[New Jersey])

The tunnels were there due to Prohibition but dude doesn't explain that yt ppl were so corrupt that literally legislated that you couldn't drink alcohol for thirteen years, and the only reason it ended because they wanted to tax it.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
That wasn't a private landing strip that was a private landing spot on the East River :laff: I'm sure somebody in a tower was told something but it wasn't that big of a deal.

(Some sports show I watch this weekend where they made fun if some athlete because he didn't know the East River was east of Manhattan thus the name, I think it was Get Up. In GTA 4, they have a west river between Algonquin [Manhattan] and Aldernay[New Jersey])

The tunnels were there due to Prohibition but dude doesn't explain that yt ppl were so corrupt that literally legislated that you couldn't drink alcohol for thirteen years, and the only reason it ended because they wanted to tax it.

right, but still an aircraft just landing, dope scene either way. One of my favorite shots of the series.