how good was joe calzaghe?

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i didnt know y’all didnt fukk with dude. thats too bad, cause dude was incredible to me at his best. he struggled with injuries so there is a lot of medoicre performances on his record. but he always showed up for the biggest fight. jeff lacy, kessler etc. lol at "he didnt fight enough in america so we dont rate him”. even the win against eubank is dope cause no one ever beat eubank that convincingly before him.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
disgust aside...joe committed a big no no in boxing...he's on record saying he didnt want the hard fights :scust:which combined with who he fought during his career makes him an easy target for criticism..esp since after he retired 168 heated up big time..i do give him props however for one thing..he at least beat all the champions in his division during his career..he ruled that division..puts him a full level higher than that fukk sven ottke

what he did to jeff lacy though was and is still uncouth :wow: :damn:...fukk a joe calzaghe :birdman:

he is? i never heard about that.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Peep this interview Roy gives says some good stuff about Joe as well saying Joe didn't want to move up when Roy was in his prime. Also the interviewer was saying he asked Joe about fighting Jones in his prime and Joe said he don't know about that fight. We all know by his actions he didn't want none because all he had to do is move up to 175. The fight would of happened back when Jones was the LHW king.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science

Roy Jones always found southpaw's problematic, this punch is the same punch tarver knocked him out with

I ain't saying calzaghe knocking him out, but I could see him winning a close decision if Roy wasn't able to put him away

Prime Roy would have sparked that fool, if he survived 12 rounds it would have been a wash

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Peep this interview Roy gives says some good stuff about Joe as well saying Joe didn't want to move up when Roy was in his prime. Also the interviewer was saying he asked Joe about fighting Jones in his prime and Joe said he don't know about that fight. We all know by his actions he didn't want none because all he had to do is move up to 175. The fight would of happened back when Jones was the LHW king.

roy is the closest our era getting to ray robinson.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Calzaghe was content to be a big fish in a small pond for most of his career & waited out the legends. Carl Froch should be rated higher than him IMO when it's all said & done with his career. But you see what happened when Cal fought 2 HOF's past their prime (RJJ & BHop)? He got dropped & he was extremely lucky he got out of that round with the ancient Roy. He could've fought James Toney & Antonio Tarver but he knew what would happen. He wanted nothing to do with Roy until the first Tarver fight where he said Roy looked "human" & that's a direct quote.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
This the wrong fight if you want to show Calzaghe's dominance.. Kessler looked better (at least the first half I watched) but Calzaghe was judst trying to be more active

And yeah, I was pissed that he exposed Lacy... I was becoming a fan.

And no, he wouldn't have beat a prime Roy.... Even old Roy caught him and would've been a better fight if Roy would let his hands go.

Calzaghe just fights at a Pac-like pace for most dudes... A lot of wild shyt and bouncing around but he's accurate and had great handspeed... but fukk Calzaghe

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
His signature win is just barely edging a 43 year old B-Hop :comeon:

Jermain Taylor did more or less the same job as Calzaghe on a better, younger version of Hopkins while he was in his strongest weight class...without gettin put on his ass

Glorified B+ level fighter.

Also, Lacy was already exposed and looked like shyt in SEVERAL fights against journeymen/fringe contenders before he fought Calzaghe...people overlooked this because of one fight with Robin Reid...Lacy walkin thru an old Robin Reid while Calazghe went life & death with him is the reason why so many were picking him to destroy Calzaghe...and completely forgot about how terrible he looked not once, not twice, but multiple times against lower level fighters.

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Roy Jones always found southpaw's problematic, this punch is the same punch tarver knocked him out with

I ain't saying calzaghe knocking him out, but I could see him winning a close decision if Roy wasn't able to put him away

Since when is Lou Del Valle a bum? :stopitslime:

You do realize he doesn't have one single clear loss @ Light Heavyweight (outside of Roy) and arguably beat Virgil Hill while he was lineal champ.

Infact, even with the L. He gave Virgil Hill a worse beating than Michalczewski did.

Him landing one single clean punch against Roy over the course of 12 rds means Calzaghe can beat him
KqLc81b.png

That's some sound logic and there chief.

And this was a real "problematic" fight for Roy here wouldn't you say?:sas1:

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
joe calzaghe spent most of his career fighting in europe, but he was better than guys at 68 in america during his career anyway, there wasn't any competition
he ducked roy in his prime because he wouldn't come to america and fight, that was the biggest strike against him, but i still think he had a chance to beat roy even in his prime, because to be honest roy had a lot of holes in his defense he was even knocked down by some bum in his prime, and was bothered numerous times by technical boxers

I think Joe calzaghe would've fought chad dawson or someone like that before he retired he would get more respect

he lost to bhop and got the gift, which makes boxing fans want to toss him into the bushes because they can't think objectively
RING WOAT 3 years running, you got my vote :salute:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
RING WOAT 3 years running, you got my vote :salute:

I didn't say he would win, I said he had a chance

Since when is Lou Del Valle a bum? :stopitslime:

You do realize he doesn't have one single clear loss @ Light Heavyweight (outside of Roy) and arguably beat Virgil Hill while he was lineal champ.

Infact, even with the L. He gave Virgil Hill a worse beating than Michalczewski did.

Him landing one single clean punch against Roy over the course of 12 rds means Calzaghe can beat him
KqLc81b.png

That's some sound logic and there chief.

And this was a real "problematic" fight for Roy here wouldn't you say?:sas1:

A single clean punched KO Jones out it was the same punch he was knock down with before from a southpaw just like tarver

which means JONES HAD PROBLEMS ADAPTING

Jones defense has always been suspect and he's always had a suspect chin

and lets not act like had a gallery of challengers as well

Oh so Calzaghe's 0 means nothing but Lou Del Valle records validates him

this is that baised opinion, jones got a caught with a punch that easily avoidable, and he got KO"d the same way by Tarver with the same punch

contrary to popular belief Roy Jones was not god, he do not throw a lot of punches, which is why I could see Calzaghe out pointing him if Jones didn't knock him out, Calzaghe was probably concerned with his speed and power getting caught with one shot then being out boxed by roy

Calzaghe is a better boxer than Roy when it comes to technique, these are just facts, without his athletic ability roy jones is a mere mortal and food for elite boxers, which was proven at the later stages of his career, while hopkins continued to excel

fukking stans man I swear

Last edited: