how good was joe calzaghe?

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/3626755.stm

This was him talking about RJ after the first Tarver fight:

"He looked human for a change in his last fight against Tarver and that's given me confidence that I can beat him."

:dead: Basically admitted he had no shot against Roy in his prime.

Calzaghe in 2003 right before Tarver and after Ruiz:

“I’m a big Roy Jones fan and to be honest, he’s the only guy in the world that I really don’t want to fight. He seems to be the perfect fighter and you just can’t hit the guy. Look at what Jones did to Richard Hall who then fights Dariuz Michaelczweski and bashes him up for 11 rounds. I like to watch Jones fight and see his moves. He carries an aura that he takes into the ring with him. It’s 100 percent confidence and he knows he’s going to win. You can tell that he doesn’t take his talent for granted though because he obviously trains very hard and keeps in tremendous shape.”

http://fightfan.com/2008/09/an-open-letter-to-joe-calzaghe/

:russ:

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
LOL Calzaghe would get zapped by Roy in his prime.

While all other notable LHW & SMW cats were proving themselves to each other here in the states, Calzaghe fought watered down competition overseas. That's his reputation.

I don't want to hear excuses about coming to America either. Lewis, the Klitschko's, Prince Nazeem, Pacquiao, Kostya Tszyu, numerous Latin fighters from South America, numerous fighters from Africa, etc. all came out to the states to do battle while making a name for themselves. Everyone knew America was the battlegrounds at the time.

Dude made his legacy by ducking and making excuses, now he gotta live with it.

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
"I only want big-money fights," said Calzaghe, who defends his WBO title against Australian Rick Thornberry in Cardiff on Saturday.

He has no particular desire to test himself against the very best, such as WBC light-heavyweight champ Roy Jones.

Calzaghe added: "I'm not chasing after Roy Jones. Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter and I don't want tough fights
, I just want big money.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Boxing: I'm lord of the Welsh rings says Calzaghe.-a060444934

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
:huhldup: thats news to me. damn joe. not surprsing, i cant see joe beating prime rjj. it would have been a great fight to watch though.

He was saying he wanted to fight Roy for years but never decided to move up and take the fight until RJJ was on the downside of his career.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

When you realize quotes from boxings don't mean shyt

Paul Williams said Floyd Mayweather was ducking him, then he says Mayweather never ducked him

people used quotes for Floyd to justify him ducking pacquiao, fights happens, he makes pacquiao look like robert guerrero

Can you use tape and actual do film study to support your claim

if Calzaghe fought Roy in his prime I would bet on Roy of course, because he would be coming up in weight against roy's speed and power but it would not be as one sided as you would think, and I could understand why Calzaghe would be hesitate to fight Roy not because of his boxing ability but because of his athletic dominance

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I didn't say he would win, I said he had a chance

A single clean punched KO Jones out it was the same punch he was knock down with before from a southpaw just like tarver

which means JONES HAD PROBLEMS ADAPTING

Jones defense has always been suspect and he's always had a suspect chin

and lets not act like had a gallery of challengers as well

Oh so Calzaghe's 0 means nothing but Lou Del Valle records validates him

this is that baised opinion, jones got a caught with a punch that easily avoidable, and he got KO"d the same way by Tarver with the same punch

contrary to popular belief Roy Jones was not god, he do not throw a lot of punches, which is why I could see Calzaghe out pointing him if Jones didn't knock him out, Calzaghe was probably concerned with his speed and power getting caught with one shot then being out boxed by roy

Calzaghe is a better boxer than Roy when it comes to technique, these are just facts, without his athletic ability roy jones is a mere mortal and food for elite boxers, which was proven at the later stages of his career, while hopkins continued to excel

fukking stans man I swear

You do realize Roy was well past his prime when he was fighting Del Valle & Tarver right? Neither one of them would beat Roy in his prime & would lose bad. Roy was so gifted & dominant that when he was slipping he looked good still. Roy was in his mid 30's fighting these guys.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Since when is Lou Del Valle a bum? :stopitslime:

You do realize he doesn't have one single clear loss @ Light Heavyweight (outside of Roy) and arguably beat Virgil Hill while he was lineal champ.

Infact, even with the L. He gave Virgil Hill a worse beating than Michalczewski did.

Him landing one single clean punch against Roy over the course of 12 rds means Calzaghe can beat him
KqLc81b.png

That's some sound logic and there chief.

And this was a real "problematic" fight for Roy here wouldn't you say?:sas1:

My GOATEST 2 piece besides Lennox on Rahman.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You do realize Roy was well past his prime when he was fighting Del Valle & Tarver right? Neither one of them would beat Roy in his prime & would lose bad. Roy was so gifted & dominant that when he was slipping he looked good still. Roy was in his mid 30's fighting these guys.

Fundamentals is one thing, Roy relied too much on his physical gifts, that's the whole point

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Fundamentals is one thing, Roy relied too much on his physical gifts, that's the whole point

Roy had the fundamentals; that's why he was able to create his own style & be successful at the highest level. You need to read up on John Ice Man Scully who's a friend of Roy's & came up as an amateur with him & James Toney. He breaks this myth that Roy didn't use the fundamentals or wasn't fundamentally sound.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Roy had the fundamentals; that's why he was able to create his own style & be successful at the highest level. You need to read up on John Ice Man Scully who's a friend of Roy's & came up as an amateur with him & James Toney. He breaks this myth that Roy didn't use the fundamentals or wasn't fundamentally sound.

Exactly been saying this for the longest. There's no way a person just athletic can get by being a multi-division champion just being pure athletic. Dude been training in boxing since a small child but he doesn't have ring smarts and fundamentals? :mjlol: Pretty much bred to be a boxer just like Mayweather.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

I'm not saying he did, but he's defense was flawed fundamentally

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
When I can see the bottom logo of your shoes, your defense is flawed. Talk about "read these Nikes"