how good was joe calzaghe?

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

:mjlol: @ this half-assed grasp for straws

You forgot to link the quotes from Roy implying that any of those gentlemen were unbeatable, seemingly "perfect" fighters who he didn't want to face because he wasn't interested in "tough fights". :leostare:

I'm linking quotes that came directly out of Calzaghe's mouth...you link me to some fugazi ass off-brand ass blog likely written up by some fat slob sitting in a basement donning a cheeto & kool-aid stained wife-beater... while bathing in a pool of his own semen. :francis:

:troll: harder my friend.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: @ this half-assed grasp for straws

You forgot to link the quotes from Roy implying that any of those gentlemen were unbeatable, seemingly "perfect" fighters who he didn't want to face because he wasn't interested in "tough fights". :leostare:

I'm linking quotes that came directly out of Calzaghe's mouth...you link me to some fugazi ass off-brand ass blog likely written up by some fat slob sitting in a basement donning a cheeto & kool-aid stained wife-beater... while bathing in a pool of his own semen. :francis:

:troll: harder my friend.

When did he say he was unbeatable

also in the same article Calzaghe says he think he would win, why don't you post the whole thing

also I'm not disputing that Calzaghe dodged the fight

Also Jones didn't fight ten guys who were considered threats back then, so 10, so by your logic jones dodged them, and was scared I'm just showing you how flawed your thinking is

I'm shooting down the notion that it wouldn't have been a competitive fight

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When did he say he was unbeatable

Joe Calzaghe said:
“I’m a big Roy Jones fan and to be honest, he’s the only guy in the world that I really don’t want to fight. He seems to be the perfect fighter and you just can’t hit the guy

He was unbeatable to Calzaghe...going by Calzaghe's own words that is.

also in the same article Calzaghe says he think he would win, why don't you post the whole thing

also I'm not disputing that Calzaghe dodged the fight

Also Jones didn't fight ten guys who were considered threats back then, so 10, so by your logic jones dodged them, and was scared I'm just showing you how flawed your thinking is

Calzaghe flat out said for years that he didn't have the ability to compete with Roy Jones...and never made the suggestion that he could beat Roy until he struggled with Tarver...so in other words...the only Roy Jones he felt he can beat was a shot Roy Jones...nowhere in the links i posted did he imply that he could give Roy a competitive fight prior to Roy being shot.

And you sitting up here trying to equate Calzaghe's own words about his inability to compete with Roy Jones and how he wanted no parts of Roy ...with some uncredentialed, faceless blogger saying Roy ducked some fights? :what:

Do you realize what you're even saying in this thread? You're asserting that you understand Calzaghe's ability more than Calzaghe himself. :aicmon:

Based on some of your posts...i'm starting to believe you're midly dyslexic...because you seem to have a hard time understanding what you're reading.

At the very least you're a full-blown boxing dyslexic.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was unbeatable to Calzaghe...going by Calzaghe's own words that is.

Calzaghe flat out said for years that he didn't have the ability to compete with Roy Jones...and never made the suggestion that he could beat Roy until he struggled with Tarver...so in other words...the only Roy Jones he felt he can beat was a shot Roy Jones...nowhere in the links i posted did he imply that he could give Roy a competitive fight prior to Roy being shot.

And you sitting up here trying to equate Calzaghe's own words about his inability to compete with Roy Jones and how he wanted no parts of Roy ...with some uncredentialed, faceless blogger saying Roy ducked some fights? :what:

Do you realize what you're even saying in this thread? You're asserting that you understand Calzaghe's ability more than Calzaghe himself. :aicmon:

Based on some of your posts...i'm starting to believe your midly dyslexic...because you seem to have a hard time understanding what you're reading.

At the very least you're a full-blown boxing dyslexic.

He said none of that shyt you said, and I've read the article you posted that quote from, and at the end he said he think he would win against roy

post the whole article

you are stating stuff he didn't even said, just to support you argument

which I never disputed he dodged the fight

also once again I said I believe Roy would win

but to act like Calzaghe wouldn't be a worthy opponent is moronic

that's the whole point, calzaghe is a great boxer, it is just a fact, acting like he isn't shows you have no clue what you are talking about

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He said none of that shyt you said, and I've read the article you posted that quote from, and at the end he said he think he would win against roy

Except for the fact that he said no such thing in any of the links i posted...

But he damn sure implied that he's not good enough to compete with Roy Jones...he even made huge contradiction, saying some shyt like "i only want big money fights, but i don't want to fight Roy Jones" (the biggest money fight in or around his division) :heh:

that's the whole point, calzaghe is a great boxer, it is just a fact

Ambrose-Nope.gif

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Your place in this sport is defined by the quality of your opposition...

Records mean absolutely nothing in boxing because you can easily pad them with weed carriers and construction workers (yea I'm talking about you LSC :pacspit:)...

Calzaghe was an exceptional boxer, with solid technique, very good at making adjustments and a high workrate but unfortunately history will only remember him as a notorious can crusher who never took on a real challenge...His biggest fights were against a KO'd 3 times in his last 5 fights RJJ, Jeff never been shyt Lacy and BHop...BHop was a good win imo regardless of the fact he was old...BHop was schooling cats half his age back then...
true but sometimes you are just born in era without any real competition.

this is not the case for joe eurocac

JoeClair

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The Big Apple
@JoeClair pointed it out for me, i had never seen lacy before that... seen the highlights and hype before the buildup to joe fight and fell for it:francis:

but what i did do was really look back into joes resume and seen those fights and i really feel i could put joe in the all time greats and see joe dropping that sweet sceince on them... the way he can adjust to a fight and fight his fight, boy can box and aslo he had that ability to really frustrate you.

just too slick
Calzaghe is a hall of famer but let's not get carried away. The Hopkins win was his best but there should have been a rematch. It was very close. Then Kessler and I'm not sure who would he considered his third best win. Not unbelievable stuff. Was also the #2 guy at 168 for a big chunk of his reign there.

I think he tends to get underrated skill-wise but if you go by resume, he's a lower tier hall of famer if there's such a thing.

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
Calzaghe is a hall of famer but let's not get carried away. The Hopkins win was his best but there should have been a rematch. It was very close. Then Kessler and I'm not sure who would he considered his third best win. Not unbelievable stuff. Was also the #2 guy at 168 for a big chunk of his reign there.

I think he tends to get underrated skill-wise but if you go by resume, he's a lower tier hall of famer if there's such a thing.

Sakio Bika and Robin Reid, I guess should put him on HOF status. He would fight Nigel Benn and G-man on a wheelchair if the commision allows it to cement his status. :troll:

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Roy's Hands Were Still Fast Af Here

That was Roy's last good performance he should of retired after that. He was letting his hands go and was killing to the body & head with them uppercuts. At the time this faded Jones was the first one to ever stop Lacy. Too bad Roy's next fight vs Danny Green he regressed and didn't do none of that and was Koed.

Last edited:

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
That was Roy's last good performance he should of retired after that. He was letting his hands go and was killing to the body & head with them uppercuts. Too bad his next fight vs Danny Green he regressed and didn't do none of that and was Koed.
I Remember Seeing That On Worldstar & Thinking It Was A Parody Or Something

Daps
Calzaghe was good, but not a great. I respect him and he had talent but he won;t be remembered as a GREAT.

he fought Hopkins and Jones when they weren't as good but that isn't Calzaghe's fault, you beat whoever is in front of you and he did.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sakio Bika and Robin Reid, I guess should put him on HOF status. He would fight Nigel Benn and G-man on a wheelchair if the commision allows it to cement his status. :troll:

still the best fight i remember experiencing.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dude was underrated, he did some subtle things that were class