how good was joe calzaghe?

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
:mjlol:

And this dude talked like he can beat Ward. Come out from retirement and be sparked by the SOG.

Well he's undefeated and felt like his last fight was against a prime Jones. Ward hasn't been that active either as of late so you never know. :troll:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
joe calzaghe spent most of his career fighting in europe, but he was better than guys at 68 in america during his career anyway, there wasn't any competition
he ducked roy in his prime because he wouldn't come to america and fight, that was the biggest strike against him, but i still think he had a chance to beat roy even in his prime, because to be honest roy had a lot of holes in his defense he was even knocked down by some bum in his prime, and was bothered numerous times by technical boxers

I think Joe calzaghe would've fought chad dawson or someone like that before he retired he would get more respect

he lost to bhop and got the gift, which makes boxing fans want to toss him into the bushes because they can't think objectively

Alright I admit this is true, I hold that against him, but it's absolutely still a knock against him that he never really fought elite comp throughout most of his run.

Last edited:

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Calzaghe was a good to great fighter but he wont ever get the respect he should have because he didnt fight the best in the world until they were old and past their prime. Jones would have beaten him badly i think if they had met back in the day. But Roy would have did that to a lot of cats so there would have been no shame in that happening.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Calzaghe, I mean Godzaghe was a beast. You couldn't deny his skills and talent in the ring, but he didn't do himself any favors by not fighting the fights that the fans wanted to see happen at the time.

Ducked Glen Johnson twice (tough, but winnable fight)
If Lacy wasn't the one calling him out that fight prolly wouldn't have happened
Still struggled with old ass Hopkins and Roy
Never fought Taylor or Dawson
nikka fought some of the same bums twice in one-sided fights.

He even admitted that he didn't want any tough fights.

I'm a fan of Joe, but I understand why he doesn't get the props and respect he deserves. Meanwhile less talented guys like Hatton are hailed as heroes because they dared to be great.

JoeClair

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The Big Apple
He was great at adjusting to a fight, great boxer.

Lacy would have had a great career if he didn't fight joe imho.
Then you must not have watched Lacy before Calzaghe. Epitome of overrated. Struggled against Sheika, even struggled against chumps like Donnell Whiggins. :dead:

Never understood the hype because he never looked good to me. So it wasn't a surprise he got treated like a C-class fighter when he stepped up against Joe C.

Gizza

Can’t find a job, YOU can rap at least
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norcal
I'll say this never watched this clown fights besides highlights or when he duccd prime Roy. Outside the worship of him on ESB this "wanker" as you UK boys says can fuk off :pacspit:

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

MauryLaughing.gif

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
The same nikka who got waxed by washed up Roy :mjpls:
@JoeClair pointed it out for me, i had never seen lacy before that... seen the highlights and hype before the buildup to joe fight and fell for it:francis:

but what i did do was really look back into joes resume and seen those fights and i really feel i could put joe in the all time greats and see joe dropping that sweet sceince on them... the way he can adjust to a fight and fight his fight, boy can box and aslo he had that ability to really frustrate you.

just too slick

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I didn't say he would win, I said he had a chance

A single clean punched KO Jones out it was the same punch he was knock down with before from a southpaw just like tarver

which means JONES HAD PROBLEMS ADAPTING

Jones defense has always been suspect and he's always had a suspect chin

and lets not act like had a gallery of challengers as well

Oh so Calzaghe's 0 means nothing but Lou Del Valle records validates him

this is that baised opinion, jones got a caught with a punch that easily avoidable, and he got KO"d the same way by Tarver with the same punch

contrary to popular belief Roy Jones was not god, he do not throw a lot of punches, which is why I could see Calzaghe out pointing him if Jones didn't knock him out, Calzaghe was probably concerned with his speed and power getting caught with one shot then being out boxed by roy

Calzaghe is a better boxer than Roy when it comes to technique, these are just facts, without his athletic ability roy jones is a mere mortal and food for elite boxers, which was proven at the later stages of his career, while hopkins continued to excel

fukking stans man I swear

LOL