Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Jacaveli The Don

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#NarcissistGang
Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

The director says he has tried and failed to watch the new brand of superhero films, which he likens to theme parks

Martin Scorsese, one of cinema’s most venerated current directors, has decried superhero movies – the dominant force in today’s industry. The director of films such as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas told Empire magazine that his attempts to get up to speed with contemporary superhero films had failed.

“I tried, you know?” the director said when asked if he had seen Marvel’s movies. “But that’s not cinema.”

He continued: “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Earlier this year, Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film in history after topping $2.8bn at the global box office (fifth highest after adjusting for inflation). Eight other titles from the same studio feature in the Top 30 (when factored without inflation).

Marvel head Kevin Feige last year defended his films against the kind of criticism levelled by Scorsese, saying that the series’s lack of major awards was no indication of a lack of quality or ambition.

“Maybe it’s easy to dismiss VFX or flying people or spaceships or billion dollar grosses,” Feige said. “I think it is easy to say that you have already been awarded in a certain way. [Alfred] Hitchcock never won best director, so it’s very nice, but it doesn’t mean everything. I would much rather be in a room full of engaged fans.”

Scorsese’s latest film, The Irishman, won rave reviews from its premiere at the New York film festival last weekend, with critics praising the use of “de-ageing” technology.

Out today is Joker, Todd Phillip’s revisionist take on the DC villain, which borrows much from the films of Scorsese, notably 1983’s The King of Comedy.

Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Marvel stans, say something about the GOAT
:pachaha:

Daps
Yawn. Oh well. Won’t stop me from watching all them joints on day 1.

And do awards really mean that much? Crash has a best picture Oscar. Al Pacino got one for doing a 2 hour Yosemite Sam impression in scent of a woman. Denzel’s crooked cop got 1 over him in the hurricane and Malcolm X. Spike Lee ain’t got one.

i get it, Marvel and the heavy FX films aren’t for everyone. But the constant shytting on them is old. The special fx movies are the only reasons the movie industry still exists in the form it does. It’s the reason a studio can hand him $100 million to make a movie that’s not gonna make much money.

Last edited:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yawn. Oh well. Won’t stop me from watching all them joints on day 1.

And do awards really mean that much? Crash has a best picture Oscar. Al Pacino got one for doing a 2 hour Yosemite Sam impression in scent of a woman. Denzel’s crooked cop got 1 over him in the hurricane and Malcolm X. Spike Lee ain’t got one.

i get it, Marvel and the heavy FX films aren’t for everyone. But the constant shytting on them is old. The special fx movies are the only reasons the movie industry still exists in the form it does. It’s the reason a studio can hand him $100 million to make a movie that’s not gonna make much money.
You big mad or lil mad :mjlol:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Just a bitter old man yelling at the sky.
Movies are entertainment, when they made the first silent pictures and first talkies, it was about entertainment.
Superhero movies entertain and they aren't any less valued in this medium as any other shyt.

Martin can't make movies the masses want to see, so he attempts to attack the masses and those who make movies that can reach everyone, to justify his own value.
That is the issue with entertainers of all medium, then need audience validation and they hate that, because they want to believe in the lie that they do this for their own enjoyment, which is bullshyt. They do this because they want eyes on them, they want praise, they want/need public validation.

Jacaveli The Don

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#NarcissistGang
Just a bitter old man yelling at the sky.
Movies are entertainment, when they made the first silent pictures and first talkies, it was about entertainment.
Superhero movies entertain and they aren't any less valued in this medium as any other shyt.

Martin can't make movies the masses want to see, so he attempts to attack the masses and those who make movies that can reach everyone, to justify his own value.
That is the issue with entertainers of all medium, then need audience validation and they hate that, because they want to believe in the lie that they do this for their own enjoyment, which is bullshyt. They do this because they want eyes on them, they want praise, they want/need public validation.

You must be on crack

Daps
You must be on crack

Eh. His biggest movie world wide was 392 million. His biggest domestic is only 132 million. All four of his 100 million US grosses star Leo. Take Leo out of it and his biggest grossing movie is 73 million. I’d say that the statement about the masses is fairly accurate.

Martin Scorsese Movie Box Office Results

He’s still a good director, but he’s def not appealing to the masses.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
MCU is by far the most amazing movie project ever.

They weaved 20+ movies together into the finale which was damn near perfectly executed.

Most series can't write their way out of the third movie in the trilogy.

Matrix

Star Wars (I'll even give them 3 in a row but they are working on a 3/11 ratio)

Terminator

Every single other comic franchise. FF, Fox Spiderman, X men ...

It goes on. And on.

But these cats do it with 22 episodes. Not all of them were great, but none of them SUCKED, and now that we've seen the end, all of them are required reading like Thor 2 which I didn't like. But now, I kinda wanna review it just to see how it fits.

Bravo.

I have no shyt to talk about Scorsese, but I

GUARANTEE

he couldn't have out the MCU together. No matter how weak he thinks it is. He literally couldn't do it himself

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Personally I am a big fan of his work but he is getting his,
giphy.gif

On. :yeshrug: Not one thing he said about them is accurate.